Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

California water restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I received some for a test kit from one of the makers, forget who but the stuff actually works well. But it goes against everything I have ever felt about cleaning a very dirty car
Had my 2011 GS about 6 months now, washed it once form driving it home from Boulder City, NV, other wise it just doesn't see the road that much.
NSF
I live near Colorado Springs and to see it rain here is rare. The only times I ended up washing the C6 is because we were caught in a downpour. Otherwise, I take the lazy route and just wipe it down. If it ever got dirty enough to need a waterless wash would most likely just wash it.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:36 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by BWF07
Well according to some here on the forum, they never wash their car. A simple California duster and some detail spray.
I've owned my car over 15 years and it's never seen the business end of a garden hose. I use a California Duster, distilled water (in a spray bottle), and detail spray on it.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:51 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Our water district hasn't imposed a no car washing edict yet, but I think they recommended no water hit the street from nozzleless open hoses running free. I'm ok with that, but I bet I have to start washing at night for politically correct reasons while my neighbors maintain their large lawns. I have gravel and self sustaining plants for the most part. I'm not going to stop washing my clothes... My bill(consumption) is as low as it will go already.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:24 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Try Chadwick's Triple Play. You don't need water. Great shine too..
Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 PM
EGrunt66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since last July (2014) I have been using Chemical Guys EcoSmart Hyper Concentrated Waterless Car Wash & Wax. One gallon makes 16 gallons. I purchase my detailing rags from the Rag Company. I use distilled water with the waterless car wash and place the contents inside a full function power atomizer & pump sprayer (50 oz). I have been applying waterless car wash on my new vehicle for over 9 months and no swirl marks are present in the paint. I use 4 towels when cleaning my vehicle. According to Chemical Guys the solution captures the dirt and lifts it from the surface. I was skeptical at first and used it on my older vehicle and was impressed with the outcome.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:45 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Glad I moved out of that Liberal ridden state last June.
Being liberal has nothing to do with the fact we havent gotten much rain in the last 5 years. Folsom lake is 56% of capacity, Hetch Hetchy (which is where most people in S.F. Bay Area get our water) is below 65%...
Old 07-24-2015, 10:13 PM
anthony2823
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SoCal here,

First a question for anyone that knows??? Does car washes (DIY) have a water recycler in their system or do they drain to the SoCal sewers back to the water company, or drainage system as I know we have gutters on our street.

Reason why I ask is we're in drought condition 4 no washing cars at home but I can go to the local DIY car wash and wash Til my quarters run out. What's the difference I use the same amount of water at home with my pressure washer????

So my corvette gets a good DIY car wash then full sealant once a month...6$. My wife's and I daily drivers get detailiers through the week n a once every two week DIY car wash. Then a quick sealant or Zaino CS.

Both daily drivers are in the elements and NO GUARD from the sprinklers that go on at 3 am. Hard water spots on both cars from over spray. ( wind or what not, can't prevent it)

So I don't know I'm looking at chemical guys waterless system myself
Old 07-25-2015, 12:14 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

A rinseless wash like ONR (Optimum No Rinse) has more lubrication than the traditional car soap when diluted. It contains water softeners, glossing agents, emulsifiers, cleaning agents and more. Some even now contain a light 'nuba wax.

They do go against the thought of traditional washing, but work very well even on most dirty automobiles. (I am clearly not suggesting your mud bogged Sierra Pickup as the best candidate) The challenge with these products is using it as intended and following safe and good detailing techniques. When used properly they can replace traditional bucket washing for areas where water restrictions are in place and fast cleanups between those traditional wash sessions.

Technique: When I use a rinseless wash, I have designed my own best practices. First, I mix some in a spray bottle and have it concentrated to presoak panel by panel prior to washing as if to prep the surface and start loosening the dirt. I then use several MF towels over the course of a wash and two buckets (one with rinseless, one clean water --both with Grit Gards). I keep folding towel in 4's and never use the same area on more than one panel. I use a separate clean, soft, thick, MF towel to lightly buff/dry using more of a blotting technique. Wheel cleaning is done last. Generally you use about 3-5 gallons of water in total.

Rinseless products can also be used as clay lube, and a detail spray. When you find some birdie doo-doo on your finish, do you immediately do a traditional wash ?? Most saturate the area with a quick detailer and lightly wipe with good soft safe towel. The design of a rinseless is similar but the product is clearly more concentrated and designed for more widespread use on paint surfaces with far greater lubrication.

These products were in their infancy just a couple years ago and continue to be advanced. As more hydrophobic ingredients are designed, you will see more wash products offered that can reduce the buildup of dirt and even help in removing them by almost holding it captive just above the surface.

When time permits .... take caution and consider trying one. You likely will be impressed and while it may not be necessary in your environment, you might just find it desirable to keep a bottle in your detailing closet for special times. For those in water restricted areas, use them with care and outside of direct heat for the best results. Its a valid option but does require taking a leap of faith initially.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:39 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by CheckeredFlag

Great product.

I use the Blackfire Rinseless wash...2 gallons of water, 5-6 microfiber hand towels, and 1 microfiber drying towel...20 minutes and done.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-rinseless-wash.html

Added a layer of Pinnacle Souveran wax...

Last edited by gpotski; 08-20-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:28 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Chadwick's Triple Play - works great - no water.
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2015, 01:46 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Well according to some here on the forum, they never wash their car. A simple California duster and some detail spray.

I would think, that the car wash businesses will still be operational even if their hours are cut back. they do recycle the water and you can always use the self service ones. That is what i did here in Florida a few year back when we had water restrictions. I took all my stuff and only used the water to wet the car down, fill my buckets with water and then used their water to rinse the soap off.

That makes me shudder.... the swirls. Ugh.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:18 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
That makes me shudder.... the swirls. Ugh.
The worst thing you can possibly do is wash with pure water. You have to have some sort of lubrication to help pull the dirt without scratching the paint. I have seen people that are proud of the fact they don't use soap come into my detail shop, then I point out the swirled mess they have created, and how dull their paint is and get an OMG
We use a local, made in Redwood City, CA, Waterless Car Wash, and we can wash a car with a CUP of water. I can't name it, as it is not a Forum sponsor.

It is the best we have seen so far.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:43 PM
0Mr. Sparkle
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HIGHLY recommend Optimum "No Rinse" car wash solution. Very easy to use, very low water consumption start to finish, very safe on the paint (in fact that is all that I use on my personal vehicle protected with Optimum Gloss Coat)

Plenty of info available on the topic. I was just out in San Clemente CA and I got my buddy hooked on ONR ! Washed his truck in the garage in 15 mins. Of course I'm a nice guy and left a sample behind

http://opti-coat.net/opts/index.php?...&product_id=57

Another option is Shine Supply "Eco Shine". Pretty similar idea but the dilution ratios and price points are a little different. Still a very easy to use product that encapsulates the dirt to remove it safely and uses very little water per wash

http://shinesupply.com/products/eco-...waterless-wash

Did I mention both products smell amazing?

Quick Reply: California water restrictions