Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Nanoskin Autoscrub, What are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:45 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Nanoskin Autoscrub, What are your thoughts?

Hello All

I'm getting ready to do a full detail on my 2010 ZR1 which I purchased a couple of months ago. Even though it has only 1400 miles as it had been a storage car which I'm sure it hasn't seen much of the elements I'm wanting to do the best job for it. I was going to clay bar the whole thing but now these days time has be an issue as my everyday life has taken so much of my day. I came across this and read that this is better than a clay bar. Has anyone used this by hand? How are the results by hand if I don't a machine polisher? At this point I have been using hand polish on all my cars in the pass as I'm afraid I might burn the paint. Please let me know your inputs on this product and doing it on hand polishing?

Thanks in advanced!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Yup I use it by hand with great results.

With your new car just use the "fine" pad. Humm I cannot remember how they grade their product but you want the least abrasive pad. This way no marring. Just use lots of spray to be safe as with the clay.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:23 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I have been using one for a few years. Love it! It's faster than the clay bar and you don't have to worry about dropping it and ruining it. I use it with the Porter Cable and it works fine. With the PC you don't have to worry about damaging the paint unless you drop the machine on the car.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:18 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I got this question a lot at Detailfest .... for the cost and level of use (personal), you would be hard pressed not to find more value in traditional clay and lube. First, clay has a tactile feel and very easy to note areas needing additional rubbing. You can cut a clay bar into several pieces to save some for accidents (dropping) or later use.

Now I am in no way suggesting that the clay bars, clay towels, and clay pads are not great and work well. There is a cost to absorb initially and often provide greatest return on investment to professionals. Once you learn how to use them, its quiet easy to get great results. These pads are designed for best use with a machine, and thus the design.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:11 PM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
These pads are designed for best use with a machine, and thus the design.
So these won't get good results by hand polished correct?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:31 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDEMON
So these won't get good results by hand polished correct?
Maybe good results but not the best results. Kind of like polishing by hand. It can be done but you get much better and faster results with a machine.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:57 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by spdkilz911
Maybe good results but not the best results. Kind of like polishing by hand. It can be done but you get much better and faster results with a machine.

And that's why clay blocks and clay towels are offered from same company.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:02 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

On a newer car with light fallout the fine pad worked just fine by hand. The baggie test showed nice and smooth.

Maybe on a heavy contaminated car paint the machine would be better with the pad.

I believe the OPs car, as he described, would be ok by hand. Even with the fine grade pad.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Boomer111
On a newer car with light fallout the fine pad worked just fine by hand. The baggie test showed nice and smooth.

Maybe on a heavy contaminated car paint the machine would be better with the pad.

I believe the OPs car, as he described, would be ok by hand. Even with the fine grade pad.
We are in no way discounting your feelings and outcome. Just offering that many choices exist, along with many price points. What we all have offered, is there are benefits to claying and many mediums to do it.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Is the Optimum Opti-Clay Towel what you are suggesting? The bottom line is I'm trying to get away from the clay bar using a new product with an easier method? Doesn't matter to me what brand or product. Just looking to cut time and trying to get the same results as a clay or better.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:02 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Is the Optimum Opti-Clay Towel what you are suggesting? The bottom line is I'm trying to get away from the clay bar using a new product with an easier method? Doesn't matter to me what brand or product. Just looking to cut time and trying to get the same results as a clay or better.
great choice as is the Nanoskin Speedy Prep sponge. Both offer the same benefits as traditional clay and newer technology. Not sure how much faster, but claying should not take to much time anyhow. Pick your choice
Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Is the Optimum Opti-Clay™ Towel & AUTOSCRUB Towel give you the same results as the Nanoskin Speedy Prep sponge? Don't they all do the same thing, comes in a different form?
Old 05-02-2015, 05:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Is the Optimum Opti-Clay™ Towel & AUTOSCRUB Towel give you the same results as the Nanoskin Speedy Prep sponge? Don't they all do the same thing, comes in a different form?
yes , simply different tools to get the same job and results done.

Get notified of new replies

To Nanoskin Autoscrub, What are your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Nanoskin Autoscrub, What are your thoughts?