Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Lake Country Polishing Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 03:25 PM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Lake Country Polishing Pads

I have a variety of polishing pads from Lake Country. The ones I use the most are the white polishing pads. Yesterday I noticed they are getting a little worn out. Does anyone know what their average life span is and when its time to throw them out and get new ones?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2015, 07:53 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

There is no average life for a pad. It depends on how much it has been used and what products it has been used with. Another big factor is if has been run dry and has overheated to where the foam is distorted or damaged. Pads are only about $7 each from AutoGeek. They have six-packs where you can pick your pads on a mix and match and save some $$. If you think they damaged most likely are damaged then just replace them. Lake Country foam pad have different cut capability according to the color of the pads. Cleaning the pads after each use is very important in their life so don't store them dirty and filled with old product. After cleaning and drying I store my pads in an airtight plastic container from Wal-Mart to prevent contamination. The pad actually does most of the cutting not so much the product on the pad. I use new pads on each high-line detail especially on dark colors.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:22 PM
hb4lthr
Racer

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
There is no average life for a pad. It depends on how much it has been used and what products it has been used with. Another big factor is if has been run dry and has overheated to where the foam is distorted or damaged. Pads are only about $7 each from AutoGeek. They have six-packs where you can pick your pads on a mix and match and save some $$. If you think they damaged most likely are damaged then just replace them. Lake Country foam pad have different cut capability according to the color of the pads. Cleaning the pads after each use is very important in their life so don't store them dirty and filled with old product. After cleaning and drying I store my pads in an airtight plastic container from Wal-Mart to prevent contamination. The pad actually does most of the cutting not so much the product on the pad. I use new pads on each high-line detail especially on dark colors.
Thanks. I definitely clean them after each use. I use the Pinnacle XMT pad cleaner that came with my Flex when I ordered it from Autogeek a few years ago. I think I will go ahead and order more as soon as Autogeek has another sale. Just like everything else, nothing lasts forever
Old 05-11-2015, 07:14 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Pad life is often dependent upon the use, and the cleaning of pads. I have several pads in which the backing gave out before the pad. You should be able to use pads several times as long as you clean them quickly and properly (before product dries in), and I find storing them in zip-lock bags once dry also help prolong their lifespan.

If you like Lake Country Pads, consider the Hydro-techs. They are simple in color (3 pad abrasive levels) and use, and make polishing a breeze.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 PM
hb4lthr
Racer

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Pad life is often dependent upon the use, and the cleaning of pads. I have several pads in which the backing gave out before the pad. You should be able to use pads several times as long as you clean them quickly and properly (before product dries in), and I find storing them in zip-lock bags once dry also help prolong their lifespan.

If you like Lake Country Pads, consider the Hydro-techs. They are simple in color (3 pad abrasive levels) and use, and make polishing a breeze.
Thanks Killrwheels. I will keep these in mind. I have been using the CCS.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:22 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I couldn't tell you how many cars you can do with a pad, but it seems like they last about a year before I relegate them to my loaner/cheap used cars pile. You can tell it is time when you open the wrap off a new pad and it performs much better that it is time to retire your current one. I keep a stock of new ones on hand since i order the three packs.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:35 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
I couldn't tell you how many cars you can do with a pad, but it seems like they last about a year before I relegate them to my loaner/cheap used cars pile. You can tell it is time when you open the wrap off a new pad and it performs much better that it is time to retire your current one. I keep a stock of new ones on hand since i order the three packs.
Having new ones on hand BEFORE you need them is sound advice indeed.

Get notified of new replies

To Lake Country Polishing Pads

Quick Reply: Lake Country Polishing Pads