Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Getting Scratches/Scuffs Out of Front Air Dam

Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 PM
Racinfan83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting Scratches/Scuffs Out of Front Air Dam

I have a 90 ZR-1 with that textured black plastic air dam under the front. It has some scuffs and scratches in it that I would like to remove. Anybody know how to get them out? (Other then buy a new one.. )
Some way to sand it or something without making it look like crap?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

This is a challenge that has long been the issue with detailing. Any polishing will often change the color, texture, and sometimes the look of air dams and other under carriage items. It is often suggested that a good protectant or trim dye is best to reduce the appearance of scratches. I know of some that find it enough of an issue that they replace the offending piece with a new OEM replacement part.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Racinfan83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah there are some pretty good scratches in it. I keep it dressed - and I'm probably the only one who notices since I won class in 4 shows last year - but it's one of those things that drives me nuts..lol
Will look into pricing on new ones...

Well I answered that question. I figured a new one would blow up my wallet like everything else I've bought. Not so. Found these for $49: http://www.ebay.com/itm/corvette-front-spoiler1985-1990-new-3-piece-set-air-dam-/361295342713?hash=item541ee16c79

Last edited by Racinfan83; 05-12-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Racinfan83
Yeah there are some pretty good scratches in it. I keep it dressed - and I'm probably the only one who notices since I won class in 4 shows last year - but it's one of those things that drives me nuts..lol
Will look into pricing on new ones...

Well I answered that question. I figured a new one would blow up my wallet like everything else I've bought. Not so. Found these for $49: Corvette Front SPOILER1985 1990 New 3 Piece Set Air Dam | eBay
I hate to say it, but information is the key as some items are still cheaper at replacement versus repair especially when you figure in the time and value of the work.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:30 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I've been told to not scuff these plastic trim items with sandpaper, but to use scotchbrite pads. There are various cleaners and solvent prep for plastics that you use right before painting. Use a flexible bumper coater like SEM products. However, on a piece that will take abrasion, I can't say how the paint will fare after contact with the street. You might get good results by just scrotchbrighting the gouges to get a uniform finish on the part. The aftermarket 3 peice replacement is $50 so there's that.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,237 Likes on 908 Posts

What I have done is use Scotchbrite to smooth out the roughness and then spray them with Plasticoat. They look new and pretty durable.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting Scratches/Scuffs Out of Front Air Dam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting Scratches/Scuffs Out of Front Air Dam