Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

I saw one of the best polished cars...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 07:24 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default I saw one of the best polished cars...

Friday night I saw one of the nicest, cleanest , shinned,polished, detailed cars.I was blowed away when he explained how he maintained his exterior.This is a red C6 (2006) Corvette.
It goes against everything I know about detailing a car.Guy bought this car new.Swore it has never been washed since new.Its kelp in a garage, covered. He uses a California duster and Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax.Plus he will use detail spray and microfiber in between waxes.The car didn't have one tiny scratch or tiny Swirl any place on the car.Also he stated he puts the Pinnacle on and takes it off by hand.Doesn't use a buffer.
Like I said goes against what little I know about detailing..I'II pay the price for Pinnacle if I can get my car to look like his...
Old 05-25-2015, 07:58 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I can attest that Pinnacle offers some of the best waxes designed, but no magic ingredient will avoid swirls and light marring. This comes down to the proper washing (you can certainly use waterless or rinseless washes) and the towels. With proper and good techniques you should see no harm to the finish. Then Pinnacle simply will amplify and show off the great paint and finish. Pinnacle waxes are some of the easiest to apply and remove so the application and removal by hand versus machine is quite normal.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:09 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

California Dusters are EVIL. They should only very very lightly touch the paint, you see people using them like a hairbrush.

Keeps me busy though.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:50 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
California Dusters are EVIL. They should only very very lightly touch the paint, you see people using them like a hairbrush.

Keeps me busy though.
Though I would do the same thing,before I realized the damage they could do...
Old 07-06-2015, 01:17 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

Keeps me busy though.

Its always a game changer when you take someones "perfect" looking car and hit it with a halogen lamp to show them the damage they are doing to their car. When you hit a black car, with direct artificial light on it, or direct sunlight and then its perfect, then you have found someone who knows how to maintain a car........(to an ocd level)

just a pic of a bulb being out on my garage door opener.............
Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I've had my car for 15 years and I've never washed it. I use a California Duster. The secret is to go over your car lightly and not apply any pressure. I then spritz my car with distilled water and wipe it off with very soft microfiber towels. I switch towels frequently and usually go through about 20 towels when I'm wiping down my car. Once I've done that, I use detail spray and another 15-20 very plush towels. I used Pinnacle detail spray for quite some time, but switched to C Magic. I have a halogen light and use it periodically to check for minor scratches and swirl marks.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:59 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'll just say it because no one else will, people that are afraid to wash their cars have some issues.....

A foam bath followed with a rinse to remove dirt and what ever other particles are on the paint surface is not a bad thing.....

I'll say it agin, you can wash your car and everything will be ok.....

This 20-40 micro fiber towel procedure is ridiculous....

The paint can also be clay barred and polished to bring out new shine.....

Yes, imagine that....
Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Dave1
I'll just say it because no one else will, people that are afraid to wash their cars have some issues.....

A foam bath followed with a rinse to remove dirt and what ever other particles are on the paint surface is not a bad thing.....

I'll say it agin, you can wash your car and everything will be ok.....

This 20-40 micro fiber towel procedure is ridiculous....

The paint can also be clay barred and polished to bring out new shine.....

Yes, imagine that....
Some of us have OCD . . . imagine that.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:16 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Some of us have OCD . . . imagine that.
I saw no use of the word fear and have discovered the magic of mere dampness in restoring/keeping the shine.

Then, I question that it's OCD when one takes good care of their things.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I like to traditional bucket wash (presoaking with a foam gun), and I have all these chemicals and products to use and test. That said, I can appreciate that others have challenges like water restrictions and challenging living arrangements. It is important to note that options exist and most importantly using some care will help in whatever media you use or forced to use.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

OK yes I am so OCD that I have to say I an CDO, got to keep the letters in order.

2004 Z06 19,000 miles

Name:  20150521_102812.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  2.71 MB

Get notified of new replies

To I saw one of the best polished cars...

Quick Reply: I saw one of the best polished cars...