Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Plastic protection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:44 PM
skynest
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plastic protection?

I have a new C7. I have waxed the painted surfaces with Meguiar's Gold. But, I am at a loss as to the best way to protect the rear fascia black plastic, the windshield supports, front grill, hood vent, side vents and head lights. GM says little in manual. I am inclined to just wax them, but Meguiar's specifically says not to use their wax on these items. What do some of you use?
Old 05-30-2015, 05:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by skynest
I have a new C7. I have waxed the painted surfaces with Meguiar's Gold. But, I am at a loss as to the best way to protect the rear fascia black plastic, the windshield supports, front grill, hood vent, side vents and head lights. GM says little in manual. I am inclined to just wax them, but Meguiar's specifically says not to use their wax on these items. What do some of you use?
There are several protectants available for plastic trim, most do not contain and UV protection. 303 Protectant and Carpro's Perl both offer some. Both are water based and I feel Perls's last longer and should be diluted for trim specifically.

http://www.autogeek.net/perl-coat-protectant.html

There are also some coatings that are trim compatible and also work on glass and other items. These products protect longest and often also contain UV protection. No further need for waxing !

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html
Old 05-30-2015, 06:47 PM
skynest
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you suggest something in a synthetic wax?

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
There are several protectants available for plastic trim, most do not contain and UV protection. 303 Protectant and Carpro's Perl both offer some. Both are water based and I feel Perls's last longer and should be diluted for trim specifically.

http://www.autogeek.net/perl-coat-protectant.html

There are also some coatings that are trim compatible and also work on glass and other items. These products protect longest and often also contain UV protection. No further need for waxing !

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

Thanks. The Perl Coat looks interesting. I will keep that in mind. As far as the Optimum product goes it is a bit too long term for me. I actually like taking care of the car surfaces with something less lasting. How about a synthetic wax for the plastic and headlights? Do you have something along those lines like Meguiar's Ultimate that would be good for 3 to 6 months? Is the Diamondite too harsh for new surfaces? What about 303 Protectant? Is this one like Armor All?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:50 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by skynest
Thanks. The Perl Coat looks interesting. I will keep that in mind. As far as the Optimum product goes it is a bit too long term for me. I actually like taking care of the car surfaces with something less lasting. How about a synthetic wax for the plastic and headlights? Do you have something along those lines like Meguiar's Ultimate that would be good for 3 to 6 months? Is the Diamondite too harsh for new surfaces? What about 303 Protectant? Is this one like Armor All?
Opti-coat is indeed a long term solution. Think of it as almost like being able to add clearcoat ! I too like to detail, but coatings offer far longer protection and better UV protection.

If you are considering anything on headlamps, then consider a long term product. Opticoat makes one for that also.

Now for any painted surface, you have several great sealants possible. Blackfire, UPP, Menzerna and look great and protect well. If you find your missing anything in looks, consider Optimums Spray Wax over them. (trust me your gonna be stoked at how long a spray wax can last and look good too)

303 Protectant is indeed a trim protectant like Armor All.... well except for a great UV protectant being added. The only challenge is its water based and can sometimes run in heavy rain.

Get notified of new replies

To Plastic protection?

Quick Reply: Plastic protection?