Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How to clean microfiber towels

Old 07-03-2015, 08:08 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/3d-towel-kleen.html

We got in the 3D line recently, and this towel cleaner is getting some nice reviews. The pricing is reasonable for a gallon also.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:00 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Bleach is also not recommended as it will stiffen the microfiber and cause very fine scratching. Perm Press is perfect, to the point they are just barely moist.
Well, you learn something everyday. I use the bleach to get out the staining that gets on them. Also, I only have small towels and I only use them to put on the Zaino, one color for the paint and one color for the rest of the car and only in vertical and horizontal strokes, since day one.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:33 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by ufso
Well, you learn something everyday. I use the bleach to get out the staining that gets on them. Also, I only have small towels and I only use them to put on the Zaino, one color for the paint and one color for the rest of the car and only in vertical and horizontal strokes, since day one.
It's the little things we do at my shop that make a difference when you have this type of clientele

564501 4453656869878 1848599269 n
Old 10-07-2017, 02:02 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I used to presoak in APC then wash in Woolite. It never seemed to clean the towels especially my fine polishing towels. Then I started washing them alone with Tide original liquid. Warm /cold water setting and then dry on low heat. They get very clean and no more issues.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:04 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,237 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
You can presoak wax caked towels in a product like DP Pad Rejuvinator which is citrus based. Washing is often best with a dedicated MF towel soap. Never use fabric softener. If you feel towels need softening, then use a cup of white vinegar in the rinse. Wash and dry separately from other laundry, and if you find too much lint and static, consider those dryer *****.
This is it!

Always dry on low heat, if you dry on high heat you will cause toe towels to shed those little bitty MF fibers all over everything. Those towels should be delegated to non-painted surfaces.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:12 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Adam's Microfiber Revitalizer

Adam's has a Microfiber Revitalizer.

http://adamspolishes.com/how-to-wash-microfiber-towels
The following users liked this post:
Adam's Polish (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 05:18 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Here's some good info on taking care of MF towels.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/279...ofiber-towels/
Old 10-11-2017, 06:03 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Call me crazy but I don't wash my microfiber towels anymore, I just throw them away and buy new ones all the time. I get them when they are on sale or pick up the giant pack from Costco and so I only go through about $25 or $30 worth of them per year. I could never get them to come perfectly clean in the past so I just find this way gives me a perfect towel every time with no worries that I washed it wrong and am going to get static or have leftover dirt still in it.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Ive always used Dawn and the best results with the towels from BJ S. The expensive towels seem to leave lint behind. Thats usually a sign of product and humidity. I can only control the product

Clif
Old 10-23-2017, 09:15 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
Just use unscented detergent like some non allergenic 'free-n-clear' type of soap. then air dry your best microfibers on clothes line. Even then I have noticed a definite lifespan. Eventually you will rotate them to the used car/general purpose rag pile.
I don't live in the country where some people still use clothes lines..Hanging them on a clothes line the wind will blow dust and every thing else in the air on them...Dryer only!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I use Wolfgang microfiber cleaner and rejuvenator. I wash all of my microfiber towels 3 times. I wash them with the microfiber cleaner first, and then with vinegar. My third wash is with plain water. I have well over 100 microfiber towels and use about 20 each time I wipe my car down. All of my towels are color coded and I have specific ones that I use on the body, wheels, etc. Yup, I have OCD.
Dam DevilDog..Is your car gold plated..20 on each detail...
Old 10-29-2017, 10:10 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I don't live in the country where some people still use clothes lines..Hanging them on a clothes line the wind will blow dust and every thing else in the air on them...Dryer only!
My clothes line is indoors. That said, I have switched to the $2-$3 chinese microfiber plush towels and am moving away from the eagle blue $4-$5 towels because I don't want to take care of them all that much.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:35 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 399 Likes on 281 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Patman
Call me crazy but I don't wash my microfiber towels anymore, I just throw them away and buy new ones all the time. I get them when they are on sale or pick up the giant pack from Costco and so I only go through about $25 or $30 worth of them per year. I could never get them to come perfectly clean in the past so I just find this way gives me a perfect towel every time with no worries that I washed it wrong and am going to get static or have leftover dirt still in it.
OK you're crazy. Sorry you asked for it.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:45 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,190 Posts

In my defence, after reading this thread I did try cleaning a bunch of my towels the other day but they still didn't come out looking perfectly clean, they still had dark stains on them. So I just can't see how they could be reused safely without scratching. And Canadian Tire just had a sale on the towels I like to use and I got 50 of them for $26. I know I could get 50 of them from E Bay for about $15 but I just don't know the quality of those ones.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:22 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I use the new towels on the paint once washed and cleaned again they are used for cleaning the wheels , and door jams. Then they are shop rags ,
The following users liked this post:
Patman (10-30-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 02:17 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by rob9265
Regular Tide will do the trick, however, the real trick is to wash your microfiber towels by themselves. Never mix them with cotton or synthetic fibers as the microfibers will get damaged. By design they attract and trap dirt and particles, mixing them in the cleaning cycle render them damaged.
I have steered clear of this one due to other issues in my life, BUT, this hits it perfectly. I can add run a second wash/rinse cycle with White Vinegar, and you will be fine. Not trying to take away sales from the MF soaps, but... been dealing with MF towels for the last 15 years, and almost all of my 15 year old towels are still being used on a daily basis in my detail shop.... ON Black cars.
Every towel goes through the CD test(Rub Your towel with medium pressure in the recorded side, in one direction and see if you see straight line scratches. If so... relegate it to anything but paint. However, I would run it through two washes of solid vinegar and see what happens.
Having said that, you NEVER, NEVER dry your MF towels on high heat. If you dry them in a dryer and get static, they are wasted and toss them or use them on your engine and wheels.
High heat destroyed the tender microfibers. You won't see it, but trust me, they are done and will micromar your paint..
They should be dried on the lowest heat possible and pulled out before they are completely dry.
My qualifications - I own a detailing shop in Silicon Valley and it is not unusual for my shop to have $1,000,000 worth of cars in my shop at anyone time(Read that as Corvettes are the lower priced cars.) I have other detailers sending people with Black/Dark colored cars to my shop..
Old 11-12-2017, 10:06 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I soak mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a combination of simple green and some dishwashing detergent then wash and a double, exta water rinse in the machine. They still come out with some stains here and there but there is never any evidence of the hell I put them through with waxes, oil, grease,etc. The combo of SG and dishwashing liquid does a great job breaking down all the nasty stuff. I have about 40 that soak overnight and get washed about every other month...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to clean microfiber towels