Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best wax/protectant for new clear coated wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 12:59 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Best wax/protectant for new clear coated wheels

Hey guys! I just got a new set of Fikse Profil 5's that I've been waiting months for. The centers are their Techni Polished style which has a clear coat applied at the factory. They warn against harsh chemicals with cleaning, which can damage the clear coating, but what would you suggest to be the best wax or protectant for me to apply to keep these beauties looking as good as they do now? Don't have them mounted yet so I think now's the time to get the right start! Thanks for you help and advise!

Jim
Old 06-14-2015, 05:39 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I would apply a good coating, one of my favorite is currently out of stock but back shortly, called G-technics Wheel Armor. For wheel cleaner, only use P21S. I saw many years of better than new looking uncoated wheels using both on Iforged Swifts.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:24 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks for the reply but I see that the application instructions call for wiping down the wheel surface with isopropyl alcohol. How would this step affect the clear coat already on my Fikse's? I've read a couple threads about this product since you suggested it and some others have mentioned it having a strong solvent smell. You mention having it on uncoated wheels, my wheels are clear coated. This worries me. I was thinking more in the lines of a good wax but I'm not discounting this product. Always been a big fan of the Griots and Adams products. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jim

Last edited by JimZRyd; 06-14-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:44 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

I use Adams Quick Sealant in a spray can.

BIGMAC
Old 06-15-2015, 05:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JimZRyd
Thanks for the reply but I see that the application instructions call for wiping down the wheel surface with isopropyl alcohol. How would this step affect the clear coat already on my Fikse's? I've read a couple threads about this product since you suggested it and some others have mentioned it having a strong solvent smell. You mention having it on uncoated wheels, my wheels are clear coated. This worries me. I was thinking more in the lines of a good wax but I'm not discounting this product. Always been a big fan of the Griots and Adams products. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jim
A wax cannot handle the high heat a wheel see's and wears off almost immediately. A paint sealant (synthetic wax) is a valid choice, but will need to be reapplied often.

The clearcoat on your wheel is much thicker than a layer of clearcoat on paint. The iso alcohol wipe will NOT hurt the wheel and dries almost immediately. (think about this, the average wheel cleaner uses acid and citrus for cleaning) Griots makes a product called Paint Prep that works as well as alcohol as desired.

The smell of these products is indeed heavy and solvent based. Its what is currently needed to keep a ceramic based coating from hardening. It flashes almost immediately upon application. Many people are using coatings on paint and trim without issue and finding the benefits of long term protection.

The reason I offered my personal wheel was that uncoated wheels are almost immediately in a position of degradation from environment. They are also quite susceptible to damage from acids and other harsh products. Neither P21S, nor Gtechnics Wheel Armor harmed the wheels and infact helped reduce need for constant polishing and wear. Griots also makes a great wheel cleaner but wont need to use it often especially if you choose a wheel coating.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 06-15-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:00 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks Killrwheels! I appreciate your advice. I think I'll try this route but definately test a small area first. I've heard horror stories of people putting the wrong thing on a set of clear coated Fikse's and destroying the clear coat on the faces. The barrels on the other hand are uncoated so no worries there. My Z is not a daily driver, only a fair weather cruiser so longevity should be fine. Again, thanks for the advice

Jim
Old 06-16-2015, 05:58 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JimZRyd
Thanks Killrwheels! I appreciate your advice. I think I'll try this route but definately test a small area first. I've heard horror stories of people putting the wrong thing on a set of clear coated Fikse's and destroying the clear coat on the faces. The barrels on the other hand are uncoated so no worries there. My Z is not a daily driver, only a fair weather cruiser so longevity should be fine. Again, thanks for the advice

Jim
To avoid clearcoat failure on wheels. Never wash or apply anything to hot wheels. (allow them to cool naturally). And never use anything with acid to clean. When in doubt use soap and water. For brushes, only use boars hair as they are soft but expensive. (much cheaper than new wheels)

As for testing a small inconspicuous area first. Great choice, its valid when using any material on a new surface.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:18 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Absolutely excellent advice by Killrwheels, in my shop we use 2 coats of Zaino Clear Seal. The Polymer withstands the heat and provides a slick surface to allow the dust to slide off. I had Fikse FM-10's on my 98 Vette and CCW's on my C6. Used Clear Seal on both and really did not have to touch them, other than a rinse when i washed the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Best wax/protectant for new clear coated wheels

Quick Reply: Best wax/protectant for new clear coated wheels