Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Next Logical Step -- Menzerna IP, Lake Orange Pad, PC7424 not cutting it

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:40 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Default Next Logical Step -- Menzerna IP, Lake Orange Pad, PC7424 not cutting it

Man, I knew the clear on the C5 was hard, but good grief. I've been flat out laying into it on a couple of minor can't even feel them with your fingernail surface scratches at various points on my car and the title combo is doing NOTHING to them. They should polish out IMO if I can't freaking feel them.

What's the next logical step since the Menzerna IP isn't doing anything? Anything 3M or the like over the counter you guys would recommend, or move on to Menzerna SIP or one of their heavier compounds?

NOT an option. Getting a full rotary buffer. I am not at that skill level yet.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I would indeed move to SIP, its a ceramiclear polish and works very well with the Vettes hard coat. I find that often SIP and 085rd is all that's needed for GM paint....

Also you suggested your using a PC7424 and orange pad, but failed to offer the size and makeup of your setup. I highly suggest using a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads with that buffer. Anything bigger appears to take away from the buffers power. I like Hydro-Tech pads from Lake Country specifically.

When you are ready for the next buffer upgrade, consider a Flex 3401. It is not a rotary, but offers forced rotation. Most users never feel the need to move forward after this purchase.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I would indeed move to SIP, its a ceramiclear polish and works very well with the Vettes hard coat. I find that often SIP and 085rd is all that's needed for GM paint....

Also you suggested your using a PC7424 and orange pad, but failed to offer the size and makeup of your setup. I highly suggest using a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads with that buffer. Anything bigger appears to take away from the buffers power. I like Hydro-Tech pads from Lake Country specifically.

When you are ready for the next buffer upgrade, consider a Flex 3401. It is not a rotary, but offers forced rotation. Most users never feel the need to move forward after this purchase.
This is exactly what to do!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:12 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek

Hmmm......I'm pretty sure I have a 5.5" backing plate and have been using the 6" pads that were popular a few years ago (had a bunch leftover that never got touched for the 4 1/2 years I didn't have my car). I'll look into the 5.5" pads. Probably be ordering some SIP from you in the near future.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Hmmm......I'm pretty sure I have a 5.5" backing plate and have been using the 6" pads that were popular a few years ago (had a bunch leftover that never got touched for the 4 1/2 years I didn't have my car). I'll look into the 5.5" pads. Probably be ordering some SIP from you in the near future.
Make sure to use a 5 inch backing plate with the 5.5 inch plates. You don't want contact with the painted surface and backing plate.

We were so enamored with Menzerna, we use their abrasives to our specification in the Wolfgang 3.0 polishes. You can find them at Autogeek and they are offered in smaller sizes. You will find these also work extremely well with GM paint. Both Menzerna and Wolfgang use diminishing abrasives which break down as they are used and super high gloss ratings which mean paint looks better after use also.

Finally, remember to use some pressure with the 7424. You should not stop the head from orbiting, but most don't use the pressure needed. Full speed also. The 7424 was a great tool, but many newer buffers that are random orbital are now available and worthy successors when needed. Let me know if you need more help ... and hope to see you on our forum for detailers at www.autogeekonline.net .
Old 06-24-2015, 10:34 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

SIP works great then finish off PO85RD is a great combo. The PC7424 is a great tool, I ended up upgrading to the Flex DA for more power gets the job done a little quicker.
The C5 clear coat is hard stuff!!!
Old 07-05-2015, 05:49 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I use the 7424XP and LC orange pads also.

I have had good luck with the M105 on C5 clear.

Prime the pad WELL, turn up the speed. If need be lightly mist the paint with water as you cut, this increases the M105's cut.

Just be careful, put the BACK of your hand on the paint to check it....if it feels TOO warm to you ease off a minute.

Also, before you start, make sure you have a clean pad. Packed dirty pads are a waste on any car, especially a C5.

Get notified of new replies

To Next Logical Step -- Menzerna IP, Lake Orange Pad, PC7424 not cutting it

Quick Reply: Next Logical Step -- Menzerna IP, Lake Orange Pad, PC7424 not cutting it