Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

best dash protection for non-garaged car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 05:23 PM
rbridges
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best dash protection for non-garaged car?

My 3rd car is an F-150. I'm worried about the sun taking its toll on the dash/leather. I'm thinking about using Lexol for the leather but don't know if it has UV protection.

I've heard bad things about Armor All over time. Could I just use my Zaino tire dressing on the dash?
Old 08-18-2002, 07:51 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Default Re: best dash protection for non-garaged car? (rbridges)

Yes, the Z-16 Tire Dressing has a UV blocker, the Z-10 has UV also, you can use either Z-16 or Z-10 on the dash. Z-16 for a high gloss, Z-10 for a low.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:07 AM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

303 Aerospace Protectant has a uv blocker. It will give your dash a dull gloss finish. It makes the vinyl in the Vette look like new everytime I use it.
Do NOT use Armor All. It will put a high gloss on your dash and give you reflections in the windshield.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:01 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: best dash protection for non-garaged car? (stevenll)

I've also used 303 and like it.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:00 PM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Also a sun-shade works great to protect the dash when you are parked. And your interior will be kept much cooler too ! :) :chevy
Old 08-23-2002, 11:08 AM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 3rd car is an F-150. I'm worried about the sun taking its toll on the dash/leather. I'm thinking about using Lexol for the leather but don't know if it has UV protection.

I've heard bad things about Armor All over time. Could I just use my Zaino tire dressing on the dash?
My 2nd car (or truck?) is an F-150.

Lexol does not contain a UV blocker. At least it does not say it does on their bottle, or any other report that I have read so far.

The bad thing about armor-all is the silicone contained in it. Your dash with nothing on it would be better than with armor-all on it. Silicone actually traps heat within the vinyl, causing pre-mature cracking of your dash. Not to mention the greasy, unnatural shine that it leaves. The grease not only is grimy and sticks to things, but things stick to it (like dust!).

As mentioned before, Z-16, Z-10, or 303 Aerospace Protectant would work great in any of these situations. All have UV protectants, all repel dust, and all (with the exception of Z-16) leave a natural, brand-new look to your vinyl.

Just remember, that whichever product you use, be sure to wipe your dash down with a damp (water) rag, then a very dilluted soap (dawn) on a rag (with a lot of water), then again with a wet rag. This will leave the surface perfectly clean, and without stealing Sal Zaino's words, optically perfect :D
Old 08-25-2002, 11:51 AM
gotto41
Instructor

Default Re: best dash protection for non-garaged car? (Andy1983)

COVER IT!

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To best dash protection for non-garaged car?

Quick Reply: best dash protection for non-garaged car?