Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Layering wax? Carnuba over sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 03:59 PM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Layering wax? Carnuba over sealant?

I just clayed, polished and coated my C6 vert with Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. I'm very happy that it performed as advertised and didn't leave white marks on the black plastic.
I'm just wondering how I can get the ultimate show car shine? I've read that some people layer Carnuba wax over the sealant but it appears on the Meguiars site they don't recommend layering.
What are the thoughts of the "waxers" on this site?

Dave
Old 07-14-2015, 08:14 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by luvchevs
I just clayed, polished and coated my C6 vert with Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. I'm very happy that it performed as advertised and didn't leave white marks on the black plastic.
I'm just wondering how I can get the ultimate show car shine? I've read that some people layer Carnuba wax over the sealant but it appears on the Meguiars site they don't recommend layering.
What are the thoughts of the "waxers" on this site?

Dave
Topping is completely personal and usually suggested for having longer protection (sealant) and still have the wet look a wax offers. For the ultimate shine, you should polish paint first in several steps to amp up gloss and reflection, and also removing imperfections. Then you can add any wax or sealant to protect the ultimate look.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:49 PM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Topping is completely personal and usually suggested for having longer protection (sealant) and still have the wet look a wax offers. For the ultimate shine, you should polish paint first in several steps to amp up gloss and reflection, and also removing imperfections. Then you can add any wax or sealant to protect the ultimate look.
Thanks. So the sealant/wax doesn't do much to for the shine?

Dave
Old 07-15-2015, 10:23 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Remember too that if sealant is applied first then followed with the wax that another layer of sealant will not work over the wax. One would have to start over to put down a sealant a layer. The wax would have to be removed before applying a sealant.

If protection is foremost and using a sealant just stay with repeated coats of the sealant.

The wax though can add a warmer glow depending.

The clearness of the paint finish will give the deepest reflection.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:37 PM
KBsToy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Remember too that if sealant is applied first then followed with the wax that another layer of sealant will not work over the wax. One would have to start over to put down a sealant a layer. The wax would have to be removed before applying a sealant.

If protection is foremost and using a sealant just stay with repeated coats of the sealant.

The wax though can add a warmer glow depending.

The clearness of the paint finish will give the deepest reflection.
Also Carnauba wax
Old 07-15-2015, 05:40 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by luvchevs
Thanks. So the sealant/wax doesn't do much to for the shine?

Dave
perhaps a small difference, but polishing will provide best results.

Also note 'nuba waxes are often considered wetter looking. Synthetic sealants and coatings use gloss to replicate the look.

If you are looking for some good looking waxes consider Pinnacle. If you are willing to try a spray consider Optimum Spray Wax or Prima Hydro Max .... they look great and don't take a lot of time to apply.

Get notified of new replies

To Layering wax? Carnuba over sealant?

Quick Reply: Layering wax? Carnuba over sealant?