Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Newbie polishing questions...using what I already have...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 06:57 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Newbie polishing questions...using what I already have...

In a few days (after I let my clear coat cure) I will be wet sanding and polishing my targa top.

Has anyone used a random orbital sander with some sort of polishing attachment to get this kind of work done? I ask because I have a 5" ROS from Harbor Freight and I was hoping I could use that somehow for the polishing end of the job. Looking for some advice as to what to use from a pad/attachment standpoint (it's a hook/loop unit)...also from some general direction on how to polish and buff.

I don't want to go out and put $$$ into polishing equipment that I would probably never use again.

If there is no good way to use what I have then I'll be doing it by hand...which brings up another question: if I DO end up going by hand should I polish in straight lines or in a circular motion like a buffer would? Does it really matter?

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to doing this kind of work so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:20 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by jjaaam
In a few days (after I let my clear coat cure) I will be wet sanding and polishing my targa top.

Has anyone used a random orbital sander with some sort of polishing attachment to get this kind of work done? I ask because I have a 5" ROS from Harbor Freight and I was hoping I could use that somehow for the polishing end of the job. Looking for some advice as to what to use from a pad/attachment standpoint (it's a hook/loop unit)...also from some general direction on how to polish and buff.

I don't want to go out and put $$$ into polishing equipment that I would probably never use again.

If there is no good way to use what I have then I'll be doing it by hand...which brings up another question: if I DO end up going by hand should I polish in straight lines or in a circular motion like a buffer would? Does it really matter?

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to doing this kind of work so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

I would highly suggest reviewing the areas on our forum in relation to Mike Phillips and Wet-sanding and polishing. If you cannot find specific advice, please consider posting. Mike Phillips is highly regarded as one of the best in the industry.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:40 PM
KBsToy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

I would highly suggest reviewing the areas on our forum in relation to Mike Phillips and Wet-sanding and polishing. If you cannot find specific advice, please consider posting. Mike Phillips is highly regarded as one of the best in the industry.
AG forums will give you alot of info as well as their videos...

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie polishing questions...using what I already have...

Quick Reply: Newbie polishing questions...using what I already have...