Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Teach me all about clear paint film

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:39 PM
brewersprts
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Teach me all about clear paint film

So I posted this in paint/body but wanted to get some answers from people in this section too.

I am curious to learn all about clear film, especially from those that have real world experience with it. Pictures on the Internet are not the same as seeing with your own eyes in the real world.

I have seen online where do get the film put on their entire car. I was watching Jay Leno's garage earlier and they had done the fender on his P1 and he said he couldn't tell the difference between the fender that had the film and the hood that didn't.

Is the film really that clear and undetectable? If it's a dark color, like a black car, is it still invisible?

A black car, for example, looks amazing after its been polished, etc... That deep black, wet look is what I love if. Do you still get that look through the film, as long as the paint underneath is at that level?

What about on a metallic car, like a metallic silver? Does the metallic still pop underneath the film?

On the video, they even did a heat shrunk acrylic to the windshield. Has anyone seen this in person?

Why don't more people do this? The guy on Jay Leno's garage said it was good for 8-10 years. And that he was looking at like $2500. Seems like it would make maintaining the exterior way easier. You could just wash it when it was dirty and wouldn't have to worry about getting swirls from repeated washings and you don't have to worry about rock chips from driving.

Seems like this would be great for garage queens and daily drivers. Am I wrong?
Old 08-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Z28ImpalaSS
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I've had three cars ClearBra'd now by www.ClearBraOhio.com and they look fantastic. They do an excellent job there, and are very reasonable. Website shows different coverage packages and costs.
Takes one to two hours to apply. Self healing, guarantied for at least 10 years against fading, yellowing, cracking.
They've done my '07 Corvette (Atomic Orange) '15 Mazda CX-5 (Light Blue Metallic)and '15 Camaro RS (Crystal Red Tintcoat). All 3 have package "B" installed, which is full front bumper, partial hood and front fenders, mirrors and headlights.
Give Keith @ ClearBraOhio.com a call. He will answer any questions you may have completely. His shop is in Fairfield, Ohio just off of Rt.4/Dixie Highway about 5 minutes west of South I-75 on West I-275 to Rt. 4 north.
Hope this helps a little.

Quick Reply: Teach me all about clear paint film