Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Detailing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Detailing question

I have a 2007 Victory Red vert blk top. I picked it up last year out of Kansas through Hendricks in Ga. The paint is in excellent condition but does not have the luster as my past 2002 torch red which I stripped off the wax with Dawn and used Zaino which gave an awesome shine.

I would like to have my 07 detailed but what questions should l ask to get the best results.

I do not have any machines!

A fellow member who lives near me said he has detailed vettes would like to do mine. Have not discussed $ but my dealers body shop said he has an outside detailer who charges $150 and he will make sure it is done right.

I doubt if it needs to be clayed but if it does, so be it.

What are your. Thoughts

Thanks

Alan

It is kept in a garage, covered and driven 1/2 days a week.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:05 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by kingman
I have a 2007 Victory Red vert blk top. I picked it up last year out of Kansas through Hendricks in Ga. The paint is in excellent condition but does not have the luster as my past 2002 torch red which I stripped off the wax with Dawn and used Zaino which gave an awesome shine.

I would like to have my 07 detailed but what questions should l ask to get the best results.

A fellow member who lives near me said he has detailed vettes would like to do mine. Have not discussed $ but my dealers body shop said he has an outside detailer who charges $150 and he will make sure it is done right.

What are your. Thoughts

Thanks

Alan

First question I ask my new customers inquiring about our services...what are you expecting to accomplish and what problem are you trying to solve? Once I get that answer I can steer them to the right service.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:48 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

What are your. Thoughts

Thanks

Alan

I would highly suggest claying and polishing by machine. A professional detailing is not cheap and often provided as a hourly rate and minimum time expected. If you have a desire to do it yourself, for a similar budget you can have all the equipment and chemicals needed for multiple uses.

With a professional detail, remember to study good washing and drying techniques to avoid harming the outcome. If you need help, just visit the toolbar at www.autogeek.net
Old 10-08-2015, 07:24 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

I have to agree you will need to clay, polish then apply a wax or sealant. Also you could apply a coat of Glaze that will make your paint pop!
For what you will pay for a quality job you could buy a machine kit and do it yourself. Thoughts?

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits.html
Old 10-10-2015, 11:35 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

What are your. Thoughts

Thanks

Alan

I managed to score a Griots machine new fro $86, a great deal. My Thoughts is that you do the same. I am in the process of doing my own car because I do not trust anyone to work on my cars.

wash with blue Dawn dish soap.
clay bar the panel you are working on
compound
Polish
Wax

I am currently trying out the Meguiar's line of products. The shine is Fantastic and the compound removes the swirl marks. On my CRM it is real hard now to see any swirl marks at any angle. I like doing my own car because then I am sure it is done to my liking.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:01 PM
carnant
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detail your own car is good, but if you are not an expert on that, than perhaps it is better to spend some money and let someone who is profesional in the field do it.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:45 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I am going to suggest a different course than some here have done. You said a fellow (club?) member has offered to detail your Corvette? Look at his Corvette and ask yourself, does his Corvette look like what I expect? If so, be there observing and learning each step that he performs. Once you learn a technique, then you can buy the necessary equipment and chemicals to begin doing your own detailing. It is very satisfying to make your car look it's best.

Auto Geek and Adam's have some of the best videos showing different techniques and equipment for detailing.

Once you know how to detail, then you get the fun of deciding which brand(s) of product to use.

Get notified of new replies

To Detailing question

Quick Reply: Detailing question