Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

CQuartz Fail

Old 10-12-2015, 10:05 PM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 759 Likes on 356 Posts

Default CQuartz Fail

I think I just lost an entire weekend of detailing.

I started on Friday and have been working on the car every day since.
Full wash
Claybar
M105 x 2
M205
Dawn wash to get the residue off
IPA/distilled water mix wipe down.

I applied Cquartz per the instructions and videos. I used the same number of dots on the applicator as the video. Temp in my garage was about 85 degrees.

I set my timer on my phone for 7 min. I applied until I hit the timer and went back and wiped down with a microfiber cloth. No issues in my garage under fluorescent lighting that I could see.

About two hours later, I backed the car out into the shade. The car was full of streaks - hood, doors, etc.

The parts that didn't streak look great, but the parts with streaking, I tried buffing with microfiber... nothing.. I tried spraying with IPA, some parts corrected, most areas didn't.

I've resigned myself to the fact that it's botched, but I figured I'd ask.

Is there any way to salvage it at this point without starting over?

I just ordered Blackfire Diamond Sealant from Autogeek and am more than ready to M205 and Seal it and be done with it, but if there's any way to correct it as it sits, I'd prefer to keep the Cquartz.

I still have about 40% of the 30ML bottle left.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2015, 07:16 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

IMHO
Leave it alone for at least a week. It may clear.

If it doesn't clear, you won't be able to good a good polish till it's completely hardened. (1 week)
The following users liked this post:
94Lt1Vette (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 06:05 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The issue with all coatings in not necessarily matching how many dots of a product are applied, its about applying enough without over applying it. The key with over application, is buffing it off while still damp to remove the overage. (sometimes called high spots). Once the product sets, its pretty hard to remove any excess. A light, damp towel seems to help during the time where its not quite set in but a dry towel isn't removing any streaking.

I too have seen issues with light streaking when the coating doesn't seem to jive with the finish, or more likely the product used prior to it that didn't allow it to adhere and flash as designed. I typically repolish that area and reapply the coating without issue. I would stay away from anything with waxes, and oils in them directly before application.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:07 PM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ronkh57
IMHO
Leave it alone for at least a week. It may clear.

If it doesn't clear, you won't be able to good a good polish till it's completely hardened. (1 week)
Well luckily I can't do anything with the car again until the 23rd at the earliest, so that should be plenty of time.

IF (big IF) it does somehow look ok by then, will I have to re-coat the panels that I used the IPA wipe down on?

I would stay away from anything with waxes, and oils in them directly before application.
I thought I had. I did a pretty thorough Dawn wash and IPA/Distilled water wipe down before applying. The car had Zaino AIO and Z-CS on it before the Clay, 105/205, Dawn. IPA regimen.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:34 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I've had that happen. I would just wash it and problem solved.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:20 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Update?
Old 10-25-2015, 09:55 AM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Nothing new to report. Paint still has streaking (albeit less after a week). Not all over the car, just some spots.

I'm still going to polish it down and apply a normal sealant.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:34 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 94Lt1Vette
Nothing new to report. Paint still has streaking (albeit less after a week). Not all over the car, just some spots.

I'm still going to polish it down and apply a normal sealant.
Do you have a light finishing polish ?? If so, lightly polish just the streaky area. See how it looks. You will likely have knocked down the high spot (over application) and fine. If you want to re-protect the area. Add some coating and immediately buff off. They also make a great spray booster.

http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c2-liquid-crystal.html
Old 10-25-2015, 11:09 AM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Do you have a light finishing polish ?? If so, lightly polish just the streaky area. See how it looks. You will likely have knocked down the high spot (over application) and fine. If you want to re-protect the area. Add some coating and immediately buff off. They also make a great spray booster.

http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c2-liquid-crystal.html
I have Meguiar's M205 and a Turtle Wax Polish. Would 205 work?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:01 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I have Meguiar's M205 and a Turtle Wax Polish. Would 205 work?
It should work ... its a great polish.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:15 PM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
It should work ... its a great polish.
I have the Griot's garage DA Buffer with the three Lake pads I got from you guys in the bundle. Which pad would you use for this project?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:25 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I have the Griot's garage DA Buffer with the three Lake pads I got from you guys in the bundle. Which pad would you use for this project?
We are currently assuming its high spots, so use your lightest pad. You can move more abrasive as needed.
The following users liked this post:
94Lt1Vette (10-25-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 PM
RueBurgundy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 41 Posts

I had the same problems with CQUK, but just in one or two places. Only been several months and already water beading properties are greatly reduced, but I know the coating is still there from the obvious high spots. Just gonna continue using those as markers - when high spots are gone it's time to reapply

Such a fantastic look and that Reload spray is amazing.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RueBurgundy
I had the same problems with CQUK, but just in one or two places. Only been several months and already water beading properties are greatly reduced, but I know the coating is still there from the obvious high spots. Just gonna continue using those as markers - when high spots are gone it's time to reapply

Such a fantastic look and that Reload spray is amazing.
Reload should help protect any areas in which you feel the coating dropped off. G technic makes one for their coating also. Often times a quick light polish can help knock off the high spot, or as offered you likely notice it more than anyone else.

Get notified of new replies

To CQuartz Fail

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CQuartz Fail