Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Two bucket system Vs. Garry Dean method

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:28 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Two bucket system Vs. Garry Dean method

After using the two bucket system for over a year, I've switched.Being so careful,using the foam gun and two buckets with grit guards with several mitts. With all the extreme care I still have light scratching on the car.I never use a California Duster or detail juice in between washes.So I know the scratches didn't come from using those.
For those not familiar with the Garry Dean Method this is it in a nutshell:
His method starts with a gallon or two of water, and you only pour enough in the bucket to soak 7-8 micro fiber towels. I then use an ounce of Optimum wash and wax in the water bucket.The car is also sprayed with a detail solution(Optimum wash and wax) prior to wiping with the wet micro fiber towels.I use only the best seamless Korean made micro fiber (Junkman Style) towels.Using one towel per panel folding it several times.Then getting a clean towel for the next panel and so on.
To me there is less chance of introducing dirt or grit to your paint this way?For those not familiar with this method.Go do a search on google and youtube for Garry Dean wash method,as I didn't go into great detail.
Anybody else switched?
Old 11-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I still do the two bucket most of the time to the DD's and the few times a year I wash the Vette.

When I use Optimum NR I do use the Garry Dean method, though I didn't realize that's what it was called. I watched a video on ONR and they recommended soaking microfiber towels and doing what you described so that's what I do.

Any time you touch the paint no matter the method you're raising the risk of scratches. Heck just driving it you do that so I try not to get too crazy about it.
The following users liked this post:
tony58 (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:45 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Adam's Polishes also makes a product very similar to what you referred to.

Video posted at the link here:

The Double Soft Microfiber towels sold by Adam's are truly GREAT for performing this wash method.
The following 2 users liked this post by rkj427:
Adam's Polish (11-07-2015), tony58 (11-06-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 09:44 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I switched a month or two ago. I used to foam down the car and then use a mitt to wash the car. I enjoy the washing the car and really don't mind the time it takes. I just found it annoying that I'd always have to wait until the sun wasn't an issue so I wouldn't get water spots.

Now, with the Garry Dean Method and Optimum No Rinse, I can wash the car whenever I want in the garage as long as it isn't super dirty. I will still do a full wash probably ever 2-3 washes just because I feel like it gets all the junk out of the nooks and crannies.

I still feel like a "normal" wash is better for the wheels. I feel like there isn't a great way to do the wheels without ruining microfibers quicker.
tony58 (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 10:34 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Both methods are very well established, and both tend to lean toward the type of washing (traditional, rinseless) that you need based upon your environment and local laws. The idea with washing (and drying) is to reduce the damage that can incur when you do so improperly or with the wrong products. Lubrication is one of the biggest keys.

With that said, we have introduced another new product that with move those forward using rinseless wash products specifically:

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-ube...less-wash.html

tony58 (11-08-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 07:20 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

I will start by saying I like a clean car! But i do not want to spend the entire day washing the car! I have to admit that my truck and my wifes Equinox regularly go through the drive through car wash! However my SS never did and my new to me Corvette will never see a drive through wash! The 08 I just bought has been garaged, never been in the rain and not sure it has ever been waxed!! Almost never driven with pnly 1500 miles on it! I have only rinsed it off and dried(using blow dryer) and Z2'd with Zaino. Today will be the wax. The Gary Dean method seems complicated and I cannot afford all the equipment!! SO I will probably use a modified 2 bucket with the foam gun. Being an old fart i would rather be driving it rather than washing it!
Old 11-14-2015, 07:22 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Question-where can you buy the stuff for the foam gun? Hate to continue buying online when somewhere locally may have it!
Old 11-14-2015, 09:05 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

30 min 2 bucket wash

qd after the above

30 min rinseless wash (with mitt)

Old 11-14-2015, 10:11 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jshot00
Question-where can you buy the stuff for the foam gun? Hate to continue buying online when somewhere locally may have it!
Which foam gun do you have, the one attaching to the hose or the pressure washer ??? As for soaps ... you can certainly use and experiment with store bought soaps. While not designed specifically for a foam gun, most work well. Duragloss is found locally and so is Griots.

If you prefer to order for the best in car care, let us know if we can help. We would love to help you stock up on some great offerings too.
tony58 (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:11 AM
KBsToy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having a good coat of wax or other LSP will help in washing your car. it will clean easier and soap will glide on car. I use a foamer and 2 buckets when doing wifes car and my toy. Like stated before 30 min max that includes using my B/D cordless to help in drying car.

I to like driving my toy
tony58 (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:57 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Which foam gun do you have, the one attaching to the hose or the pressure washer ??? As for soaps ... you can certainly use and experiment with store bought soaps. While not designed specifically for a foam gun, most work well. Duragloss is found locally and so is Griots.

If you prefer to order for the best in car care, let us know if we can help. We would love to help you stock up on some great offerings too.
Have the one connected to hose, same model used in the 2 bucket wash video
tony58 (11-15-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 05:38 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jshot00
Have the one connected to hose, same model used in the 2 bucket wash video
If using store available soaps, consider those from Megs, Mothers, and Duragloss as a nice starting point.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:52 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
If using store available soaps, consider those from Megs, Mothers, and Duragloss as a nice starting point.
Thanks, Since I am a rookie will try the store bought first. If they don't work well will get with you to order the 'professional' stuff

Get notified of new replies

To Two bucket system Vs. Garry Dean method

Quick Reply: Two bucket system Vs. Garry Dean method