Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:22 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

One coat is the suggestion, but two can certainly be offered for complete coverage. I have found no definitive results that show protection or gloss is exceeded on a second coat. Don't believe the hype around having more than this of any product, its likely simply just wasted.

This is one coat on my daily driver. My eleven year old son easily buffed off any high spots. Done in January.
The following users liked this post:
miami993c297 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 05:23 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Long time Zaino user here, entertaining the idea of giving the Uber Ceramic a try. A few questions/concerns....

1) I read one review where the user said his experience was the Uber seems to get & stay dirtier quicker than Zaino, and also said the water beading is good at first, but quickly fades after driving in rain a few times.

2) Also recall reading somewhere that the Uber coating has to be compounded off before reapplying it, or any other type of polish.

3) Can it be applied to stripes?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited by LIGHTNING; 05-09-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:53 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
Long time Zaino user here, entertaining the idea of giving the Uber Ceramic a try. A few questions/concerns....

1) I read one review where the user said his experience was the Uber seems to get & stay dirtier quicker than Zaino, and also said the water beading is good at first, but quickly fades after driving in rain a few times.

2) Also recall reading somewhere that the Uber coating has to be compounded off before reapplying it, or any other type of polish.

3) Can it be applied to stripes?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Zaino is a paint sealant (aka synthetic wax) like many other products like Rejex. They don't have the oils that a 'nuba wax have and reduce the capture of dirt. Coatings also are missing these oils. Environment ultimately dictates the dirt, dust, and other items that might sit on your paint. Washing is different as a lot of coatings sheet water vs. bead as they are highly hydrophobic.

After having used multiple coatings, I no longer use beading as a measure of the protection. You start to notice the dirt almost sliding off the paint under heavy water pressure and during presoaking before washing. You certainly can use a detail spray as wanted over the coating for beading purposes, but comfortable in offering you will be able to note your coating is still there.

And yes you are correct, a coating attaches and essentially bonds to paint. It becomes almost semi-permanent. It can be removed by polishing with an abrasive polish. It will wear off over time, along time, but likely you will want to polish the paint properly before applying another coating anyways. The key to coatings is to learn good washing and drying techniques to avoid swirls and marring. The better you treat it the longer it looks great and the longer it lasts. Much longer than any paint sealant.

Now as for the stripes .... well I don't have stripes and don't deal with them enough to make an open statement. What I will offer is that with painted stripes it will work without issue. For vinyl stripes you should always test any product in a small inconspicuous area first. When in doubt take on a conserved attitude and continue your research. Please feel free to post on our forum at www.autogeekonline.com for real advice from detailers and hobbyist.
The following 2 users liked this post by Killrwheels@Autogeek:
miami993c297 (05-10-2016), ronkh57 (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 08:33 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

These stripes are coated

Name:  20150524_113202_zpsbd0vjelc.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  1.89 MB
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Name:  20150524_113205_zpsem9qspud.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  1.83 MB
Old 05-10-2016, 02:00 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Zaino is a paint sealant (aka synthetic wax) like many other products like Rejex. They don't have the oils that a 'nuba wax have and reduce the capture of dirt. Coatings also are missing these oils. Environment ultimately dictates the dirt, dust, and other items that might sit on your paint. Washing is different as a lot of coatings sheet water vs. bead as they are highly hydrophobic.

After having used multiple coatings, I no longer use beading as a measure of the protection. You start to notice the dirt almost sliding off the paint under heavy water pressure and during presoaking before washing. You certainly can use a detail spray as wanted over the coating for beading purposes, but comfortable in offering you will be able to note your coating is still there.

And yes you are correct, a coating attaches and essentially bonds to paint. It becomes almost semi-permanent. It can be removed by polishing with an abrasive polish. It will wear off over time, along time, but likely you will want to polish the paint properly before applying another coating anyways. The key to coatings is to learn good washing and drying techniques to avoid swirls and marring. The better you treat it the longer it looks great and the longer it lasts. Much longer than any paint sealant.

Now as for the stripes .... well I don't have stripes and don't deal with them enough to make an open statement. What I will offer is that with painted stripes it will work without issue. For vinyl stripes you should always test any product in a small inconspicuous area first. When in doubt take on a conserved attitude and continue your research. Please feel free to post on our forum at www.autogeekonline.com for real advice from detailers and hobbyist.

Thank you for your in depth reply & all the information!

So basically, once you decide to apply the Uber Ceramic, you're pretty much stuck with it, unless you use an abrasive compound to remove?
And what happens after its life cycle of 3 yrs & you want to reapply ....you would still need to use that compound to remove it before applying again?

Also, since I have multiple coatings of ZAINO on my Z now, any special steps I'd have to take prior to applying Uber Ceramic?

Last edited by LIGHTNING; 05-10-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:12 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

So basically, once you decide to apply the Uber Ceramic, you're pretty much stuck with it, unless you use an abrasive compound to remove?
And what happens after its life cycle of 3 yrs & you want to reapply ....you would still need to use that compound to remove it before applying again?
IMHO

You're over thinking it. After 2-3 years you'll most likely NEED to polish anyway.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Also, since I have multiple coatings of ZAINO on my Z now, any special steps I'd have to take prior to applying Uber Ceramic?
I would clean paint (paint cleansing lotion) which is chemical and strips old wax and sealants or preferably polish paint first. Once the paint is in fresh and great condition you apply the coating. Then depending on the environment, you likely will need to do nothing more than washing and drying on a normal schedule to keep that beauty looking good.

Once you decide to move on, you can repolish (abrade) the surface to remove the coating and prep it for the new product of choice. Or ... you can use a booster or spray product over it and likely never need to spend a significant amount of time rewaxing for many years to come.
ronkh57 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Can the Uber Ceramic Coating be applied over Xpel? Also is the 15 mm enough for just 1 vehicle? We have the Vette and a Toyota Highlander.....would I need to purchase 2 kits?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Can the Uber Ceramic Coating be applied over Xpel? Also is the 15 mm enough for just 1 vehicle? We have the Vette and a Toyota Highlander.....would I need to purchase 2 kits?
Yes it can go over xpel

I always get too much stuff. I'd hate to go ooops in the middle of doing a car. So if it were me, I'd get 2 tubes.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:54 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

15cc is *more* than enough for 1 vehicle.

From Autogeek:
. A single 15cc syringe will coat up to 3 midsize cars with protection that is unrivaled by a wax or paint sealant.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 05-11-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Use sparingly indeed ... a thin light coat is all that's needed. Once you get the feel for a coated surface you can likely reduce the amount being used.
Scuba Ghost (05-15-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

I would clean paint (paint cleansing lotion) which is chemical and strips old wax and sealants or preferably polish paint first. Once the paint is in fresh and great condition you apply the coating. Then depending on the environment, you likely will need to do nothing more than washing and drying on a normal schedule to keep that beauty looking good.

Once you decide to move on, you can repolish (abrade) the surface to remove the coating and prep it for the new product of choice. Or ... you can use a booster or spray product over it and likely never need to spend a significant amount of time rewaxing for many years to come.

Sounds good!
So give me a rundown of WG Products I'll need to buy in addition to the Uber Ceramic, in order for it to be applied properly.
Although my Z is 12 yrs old, it's always garaged & only been used for pleasure driving & shows, so the paint is in mint condition. Would like to avoid anything with abrasive to polish. But as I mentioned previously, It does have multiple coats of Zaino.
And thanks again for all the info!
Old 05-12-2016, 04:11 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Wash
Clay
WG Finishing Glaze 3.0 w LC white pad
WG Perfekt Finish Paint Prep
WG Uber Ceramic
LIGHTNING (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 05:39 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Sounds good!
So give me a rundown of WG Products I'll need to buy in addition to the Uber Ceramic, in order for it to be applied properly.
Although my Z is 12 yrs old, it's always garaged & only been used for pleasure driving & shows, so the paint is in mint condition. Would like to avoid anything with abrasive to polish. But as I mentioned previously, It does have multiple coats of Zaino.
And thanks again for all the info!
Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Wash
Clay
WG Finishing Glaze 3.0 w LC white pad
WG Perfekt Finish Paint Prep
WG Uber Ceramic
This is a pretty good list indeed. If the paint needs more than a finishing polish (aka the Wolfgang Glaze) you can add Wolfgang TSR 3.0 as wanted to use first.

If the car doesn't need any claying or polishing, simply use the Perfekt Finish or similar product to clean and prep paint chemically for the coating.
LIGHTNING (05-12-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Use sparingly indeed ... a thin light coat is all that's needed. Once you get the feel for a coated surface you can likely reduce the amount being used.
Does the 10% Corvette Forum discount apply to Uber Ceramic Coating?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:03 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

If I'm not mistaken ag has a 15% sale tomorrow, see forum post
Scuba Ghost (05-16-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

Old 05-16-2016, 05:29 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ronkh57
If I'm not mistaken ag has a 15% sale tomorrow, see forum post
yes indeed ....
Old 06-26-2016, 11:29 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

After dabbling with "topping" with Fuzion once a few months back,
Curious as to what regimen you settled on with the UBER CERAMIC. Put on 2 of our black cars last April, went forward with washing with WG Auto Bathe and quick wipedown with WG Uber Rinseless in quick detailer dilution. Worked well, stayed easily clean but...can't seem to leave well enough alone. Got curious so topped with Dodo Juice Purple Haze which *really* made it pop but, being formulated with carnauba and less durable (and 'stickier') waxes it looks great when clean but seems to draw dust. Was wondering how your 'dabbling' with Fuzion worked out? Worth the time/money? Attracts dust? Our cars are pretty much daily driven in summer so carnauba wax, while looking great, might not be the lowest maintenance method for durability and that extra 'pop' darker cars can have.

Amazing how one can become obsessed with chasing that ultimate shine...especially on dark colors.
ronkh57 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 05:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Curious as to what regimen you settled on with the UBER CERAMIC. Put on 2 of our black cars last April, went forward with washing with WG Auto Bathe and quick wipedown with WG Uber Rinseless in quick detailer dilution. Worked well, stayed easily clean but...can't seem to leave well enough alone. Got curious so topped with Dodo Juice Purple Haze which *really* made it pop but, being formulated with carnauba and less durable (and 'stickier') waxes it looks great when clean but seems to draw dust. Was wondering how your 'dabbling' with Fuzion worked out? Worth the time/money? Attracts dust? Our cars are pretty much daily driven in summer so carnauba wax, while looking great, might not be the lowest maintenance method for durability and that extra 'pop' darker cars can have.

Amazing how one can become obsessed with chasing that ultimate shine...especially on dark colors.
If I may offer that I have not found a wax that adds significant change to the Uber coating. I have however found several spray products that add to it in my opinion. I use them after a wash, while drying, which stops me from dabbling in other items.

1. Prima Hydro Max Spray
2. Reload (old edition, not newest current version)
3. McKee's 37 Fast Wax Spray
4. Gtechnic's Cv2 Spray

Quick Reply: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating