Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Shoot. I messed up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:53 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Shoot. I messed up.

I went too far. Using Griot's orbital with HD Cut, Griot's Step 2 and 3 on a microfiber pad, I went through the paint

Here is the pad:

It looks like I went through here. it kind of looks like a ripped piece of scotch tape above the orange tape in the center of the photo:

Is there anything I can do?

What will happen to the paint in that spot now?

This is really upsetting. I bought all these products so I can take car of my car. I didn't think this would happen because its so hard to actually correct paint on these. Also I was using a random orbital so I didn't think it would nurn through like that.

Thanks in advance for any help. I could really use it!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:31 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
I went too far. Using Griot's orbital with HD Cut, Griot's Step 2 and 3 on a microfiber pad, I went through the paint

Here is the pad:

It looks like I went through here. it kind of looks like a ripped piece of scotch tape above the orange tape in the center of the photo:

Is there anything I can do?

What will happen to the paint in that spot now?

This is really upsetting. I bought all these products so I can take car of my car. I didn't think this would happen because its so hard to actually correct paint on these. Also I was using a random orbital so I didn't think it would nurn through like that.

Thanks in advance for any help. I could really use it!
Sorry for the misfortune. There is a very strong chance the only thing that you can do now is to repaint the entire panel. Without actually seeing the panel in person it is impossible to estimate the extent of the damage. If you burned through the clear coat and into the color coat there is little chance it can be repaired. Take the car to a good body shop and ask them to look at it and give you their opinion of what can be done. Sorry this happened.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:48 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Yeah, Im thinking of taking it to a good spot but I'll have to finish first. It's taking me forever! Im hoping to hear some good news before then, lol.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:49 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 742 Likes on 470 Posts

I agree that if you went thru the clear-you need to re-clear the panel. Clear not only provides the shine-but UV protection as well. Don't let them use a blending clear on the repair.
As a side note- HD cut is a SMAT. I would suggest something more in the lines of Menzerna which is a diminishing abrasive.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Contact AutoGeek and ask to speak to one of their tech people, Mike Phillips if you can, and let them put together a polishing package for you. Also they have some excellent "How To" videos on their website. It is extremely unusual that you could inflect this much damage using a DA and a foam pad. A general rule of thumb is start with the least abrasive products and go more aggressive as needed. If you have a non-Corvette daily driver use that vehicle to practice on until you feel comfortable moving to the Corvette. We are always here on the Forum to help if you have any questions.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:02 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Contact AutoGeek and ask to speak to one of their tech people, Mike Phillips if you can, and let them put together a polishing package for you. Also they have some excellent "How To" videos on their website. It is extremely unusual that you could inflect this much damage using a DA and a foam pad. A general rule of thumb is start with the least abrasive products and go more aggressive as needed. If you have a non-Corvette daily driver use that vehicle to practice on until you feel comfortable moving to the Corvette. We are always here on the Forum to help if you have any questions.
Thank you so much. I will contact Auto Geek.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:33 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Bummer......there is really nothing you can do but repaint.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:07 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

I called the body shop of choice today. Without them seeing it, I was quoted $500-$600. The piece I burned is between the rear window and trunk (Z06). I'm hoping it doesn't hike the cost up being in that narrow, kind of difficult area.

Last edited by FruiTay; 11-09-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:08 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Making a note to be careful with that type of microfiber pad. I have been using the buff-n-shine (aka chemical guys) black microfiber foam backed pads and have not found them to cut more than a new yellow cutting pad (less actually). Those you have might be more aggressive.

Did the pad take color off right away, or did you work that spot for awhile?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:28 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mike100
Making a note to be careful with that type of microfiber pad. I have been using the buff-n-shine (aka chemical guys) black microfiber foam backed pads and have not found them to cut more than a new yellow cutting pad (less actually). Those you have might be more aggressive.

Did the pad take color off right away, or did you work that spot for awhile?
I had worked it quite a few times. I originally went over the car with HD Cut then Griot's step 3 polish. The microfiber pad I used then had an inch of foam underneath which probably helped extract the heat. I noticed the scratches there were still pretty bad so I went back over with 3 steps of polish. This time around and the Maguires pad was a newer, thinner pad. I bet it got too hot.

Last edited by FruiTay; 11-09-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Most microfiber pads are cutting pads and in also using an abrasive polish can increase the ability to remove swirls and marring, but it also can go too far. The challenge is area's like those discussed are also harder to paint and often have less paint/clear than other panels. With heavy polishing you can and likely should consider a paint gauge to measure the paints thickness before deep polishing.

As for the damage the best line of attack is usually professional repair. You certainly can try a clearcoat pen for temporary coverage and keep track of the area for reapplication as needed. If it is a smaller area, perhaps some touchup paint as another less costly option. In the end it will likely drive you nuts until repaired properly.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:44 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Most microfiber pads are cutting pads and in also using an abrasive polish can increase the ability to remove swirls and marring, but it also can go too far. The challenge is area's like those discussed are also harder to paint and often have less paint/clear than other panels. With heavy polishing you can and likely should consider a paint gauge to measure the paints thickness before deep polishing.

As for the damage the best line of attack is usually professional repair. You certainly can try a clearcoat pen for temporary coverage and keep track of the area for reapplication as needed. If it is a smaller area, perhaps some touchup paint as another less costly option. In the end it will likely drive you nuts until repaired properly.
Dang, that was a much better reply than I got from Bryan at Autogeek!
Thank you for your informative reply.

I'm going to have to let the auto body guys do it. I just hope the cost doesn't rise TOO high.

Thanks everybody for your help. Maybe I'll pop back on this thread when she's fixed. It won't be until next yer though, the shop is booked!

Last edited by FruiTay; 11-09-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Shoot. I messed up.

Quick Reply: Shoot. I messed up.