Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Dealing with a GM factory applique

Old 11-12-2015, 12:26 PM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Dealing with a GM factory applique

How can I do a swirl removal on a Corvette factory applied black appliqué that has clear coat on top of it? Car is 2008 Wil Cooksey 427 limited Production Z06. My concern is obviously the potential for damaging this particular surface, and then having to replace the entire appliqué…not cheap!

Thank You

Bob
Old 11-12-2015, 03:55 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Bob, I am not 100% sure what part you are talking about. Can you post a pic?
So I can get you the correct info......
Old 11-12-2015, 04:51 PM
camburger
Pro

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish
Bob, I am not 100% sure what part you are talking about. Can you post a pic?
So I can get you the correct info......
Sure thing...I cropped a photo to highlight the black applique. There are swirl marks on it, and with it being black there very noticeable. The edge of this applique can be felt with a fingernail even though it has had a clear coat applied. It's not a sharp edge but an edge nevertheless. The applique also has a fair amount of orange-peel whereas the adjacent paint does not. I am concerned about how this applique will react to being buffed using the traditional materials and equipment. It is not like the remainder of the cars finish, that being paint/clear coat. Those surfaces don't worry me.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I know Mike Phillips did a story of this ... cannot find it currently. Consider visiting our forum, and reposting the question. www.autogeekonline.net
Old 11-13-2015, 09:28 AM
camburger
Pro

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I know Mike Phillips did a story of this ... cannot find it currently. Consider visiting our forum, and reposting the question. www.autogeekonline.net

I registered and am waiting on approval before I can post my question. I'm a bit surprised this particular detailing issue has not been discussed here already, my search yielded nothing. GM has a history of offering Corvette with a stick on applique' so the problem is out there. I'll post with Mike when then let me.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:45 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

I have machined polished those applique hood area before, start with the least aggressive pad & polish and tape off all the edges and you should be good to go.....
What machine polisher do you have?

Adam's Polishes is the Officially Licensed Car Care Product of Corvette & Camaro.

Last edited by Adam's Polish; 11-13-2015 at 05:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealing with a GM factory applique

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealing with a GM factory applique