Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Micro Fiber Go Bad???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:38 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
http://www.autogeek.net/mfchart.html

We offer a chart online to show the blends and where towels are manufactured for our clients. If you feel it should be noted elsewhere, please let me know and I will discuss with home office.
I forgot about the chart, I have seen sites that include the breakdown on the description. The chart is fine, just don't know how many folks know or look at it. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving

Ken
Old 11-29-2015, 05:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by KenVette57
I forgot about the chart, I have seen sites that include the breakdown on the description. The chart is fine, just don't know how many folks know or look at it. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving

Ken
I hope you are having a great holiday weekend too.

I asked the home office to consider placing the weight/make/ and blend on pages as well also. Hopefully they will consider the option as I too think it may help. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:06 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Two of the most confusing mysteries when it comes to detailing are which buffing pads to use for what products and tasks and what microfibre cloths to use and when to use them.

I've read just about everything I've seen or heard about on these two subjects but all I've been able to accomplish is to become more confused. I don't feel I know it well enough to be able to tell someone else the correct choices for the task at hand. Until I do, I need to gather more information. Maybe it's not that mysterious, but it seems to be.

Anything any of the suppliers can do to help people understand these confusing choices will be welcomed by me, at least.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:51 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by dbdave
Two of the most confusing mysteries when it comes to detailing are which buffing pads to use for what products and tasks and what microfibre cloths to use and when to use them.

I've read just about everything I've seen or heard about on these two subjects but all I've been able to accomplish is to become more confused. I don't feel I know it well enough to be able to tell someone else the correct choices for the task at hand. Until I do, I need to gather more information. Maybe it's not that mysterious, but it seems to be.

Anything any of the suppliers can do to help people understand these confusing choices will be welcomed by me, at least.
The chart I posted above should help with MF towels. In general you want a towel to be quite soft, and have enough weight to help with the area being detailed. Towels like our Grey Supremes and Purple Jr's have a deep nap and a lower nap side. This can help with multi-uses too.

As for pads, unfortunately I don't see that changing soon. I too would love to see a universal color code for pads between brands. This is one of the reason's I use and recommend the Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads. 3 simple abrasive designs. Its easy to grab and use the right one for the given polishing need. This might not work for heavy cutting, but most detailers here cars are not that abused. In those cases a good MF cutting pad can slot right in at the top of the abrasive pad needs.

If we can help you more ... please let us know.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:07 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The chart I posted above should help with MF towels. In general you want a towel to be quite soft, and have enough weight to help with the area being detailed. Towels like our Grey Supremes and Purple Jr's have a deep nap and a lower nap side. This can help with multi-uses too.

As for pads, unfortunately I don't see that changing soon. I too would love to see a universal color code for pads between brands. This is one of the reason's I use and recommend the Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads. 3 simple abrasive designs. Its easy to grab and use the right one for the given polishing need. This might not work for heavy cutting, but most detailers here cars are not that abused. In those cases a good MF cutting pad can slot right in at the top of the abrasive pad needs.

If we can help you more ... please let us know.
As for the pads.. I was told, Orange for cut, white for polish and blue for glazes and wax. Found orange does work well on cut. With GM hard as cement clear coat, the micro fiber orange does better than the foam. At least for me
Old 01-04-2016, 06:12 PM
ArjanRDC
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here some info about washing MF that I took out of my last blog post.

"Since we use a lot of Microfiber towels while detailing – we typically have two five gallon buckets we throw soiled towels into: heavy and medium/light. We keep these buckets filled with water and a capful of detergent. This “presoak” helps loosen up built on wax, polish etc. and makes washing easier.

Heavily soiled towels are washed with other heavily soiled towels; the medium and light soiled towels are washed together. Any towel that falls and collects leaves or dirt is thrown away.

Wash process:
1. Towels only in washer
2. Capful of detergent without any “fabric softening” abilities
3. Low heat
4. Splash of white vinegar

Drying Process:
1. Air dry or..
2. Tumble dry on LOW heat without fabric softener/dryer sheet
3. Remove fold and put away.
"
The following users liked this post:
KenVette57 (01-09-2016)