Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Detailing Plan, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:54 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Detailing Plan, any suggestions?

99 Black FRC 95k miles

1. Power wash to get the dust/dirt rinsed off
2. Wash with Pinnacle Liquid Rinseless wash
3. Speedy Prep Towel - Fine
4. Meguiar's 105
5. Meguiar's 205
6. Menzerna Power Lock

Porter Cable 7424XP
Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack
2x Orange for the 105
2x White for the 205
Blue or Red pad for the Menzerna PL wax

Six months ago, used Iron-x and waxed with Menzerna Power Lock.
Should I do a iso-alcohol wipe down between 105 and 205?
Should I not do a rinseless wash and go with a Meguiar's gold class or a Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner?
Am I missing anything?
Old 11-22-2015, 06:15 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I don't see the need for an iso wipe-down between the polishing steps. If an iso wipe is desired, it should be between the polishing and sealant stages. That way any polishing oils are removed and the sealant can cure for the longest protection.

As for the washing stage, either rinseless or standard wash will work. With a standard wash you can move directly to the clay prep towel after rinsing off the soap while finish is still nice and wet.

Have you tried to apply the Powerlock by hand ?? Its pretty thick and usually very easy to apply by hand or buffer. Just remember a light, even coating as possible. Great looking sealant !!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
99 Black FRC 95k miles

1. Power wash to get the dust/dirt rinsed off
2. Wash with Pinnacle Liquid Rinseless wash
3. Speedy Prep Towel - Fine
4. Meguiar's 105
5. Meguiar's 205
6. Menzerna Power Lock

Porter Cable 7424XP
Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack
2x Orange for the 105
2x White for the 205
Blue or Red pad for the Menzerna PL wax

Six months ago, used Iron-x and waxed with Menzerna Power Lock.
Should I do a iso-alcohol wipe down between 105 and 205?
Should I not do a rinseless wash and go with a Meguiar's gold class or a Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner?
Am I missing anything?
I'd clay bar before 105/205.....

Black paint is a bear, good luck....
Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I don't see the need for an iso wipe-down between the polishing steps. If an iso wipe is desired, it should be between the polishing and sealant stages. That way any polishing oils are removed and the sealant can cure for the longest protection.

As for the washing stage, either rinseless or standard wash will work. With a standard wash you can move directly to the clay prep towel after rinsing off the soap while finish is still nice and wet.

Have you tried to apply the Powerlock by hand ?? Its pretty thick and usually very easy to apply by hand or buffer. Just remember a light, even coating as possible. Great looking sealant !!
Is using Menzerna Top Inspection between polishing steps still the best way to clean and inspect the surface before the next step?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:35 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Is using Menzerna Top Inspection between polishing steps still the best way to clean and inspect the surface before the next step?
That is exactly what Top Inspection was designed for ... the challenge, not all detailers are going to measure the finish between steps before moving to the lighter finishing polish. So it isn't 100% necessary, but a good idea if you want to make sure the polishing was completely successful.

Simply, for a good portion the notable difference in polishing is often enough to move to the next step. While those that want to polish as perfectly as possible with each polish (step), it is a great idea to wipe off any polishing agents and fillers to make sure the paint as close to perfect as possible. They then can move to the lighter polish or pad (or both) in order to finalize the finish and remove any remaining light marring.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 11-24-2015 at 05:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cmonkey713 (11-24-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Detailing Plan, any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Detailing Plan, any suggestions?