Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Car Storage and Mold

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Russgrad
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Storage and Mold

First question on the forums, here goes.

I had a garage built to park our recently acquired 1975 convertible in. It's a concrete floored, metal framed building. This weekend, I was pulling it out for the first time in several weeks, and noticed that there seems to be mold beginning to grow in areas (also on the seat of the bicycle that is in there, too). The car has not gotten wet, it's just the high humidity of SouthEast Georgia (just outside of Savannah, 50 or so miles from the coast).

Anyone else run into this? I thought of a dehumidifier, but that would run constantly. Would a couple of fans, keeping the air moving, take care of this issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Daryl
Old 12-15-2015, 02:24 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Russgrad
First question on the forums, here goes.

I had a garage built to park our recently acquired 1975 convertible in. It's a concrete floored, metal framed building. This weekend, I was pulling it out for the first time in several weeks, and noticed that there seems to be mold beginning to grow in areas (also on the seat of the bicycle that is in there, too). The car has not gotten wet, it's just the high humidity of SouthEast Georgia (just outside of Savannah, 50 or so miles from the coast).

Anyone else run into this? I thought of a dehumidifier, but that would run constantly. Would a couple of fans, keeping the air moving, take care of this issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Daryl
Daryl, I run a dehumidifier in my garage only when the humidity gets high in the summer. It's probably not as bad here in the Northeast as it is down there, but if you let too much moisture build up it can cause what you are describing. It's not good for the frames on old Corvettes either. It can get like a sauna. AC will help but it's expensive to run all the time. I don't think the fans will eliminate the moisture.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

First,welcome to the forum.Its a great forum.Do you have any air vents installed?I have a metal barn/garage,I've never had any moister/mold problems.I live in Tennessee where it does get very humid in the summer.My building is 30' x 40' uninsulated.It does have a vent on top of the building that runs the length.I'd add some vents?
Thanks
Old 12-15-2015, 08:08 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

When I stored my Vette for longer periods of time, I went to Ebay and bought a big one of those products used with pills to remove dampness ( Desiccants). I placed it on a trash bag on the floor mat. Never an issue, or smell.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:36 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Google "car bag"

Drive your car over it

Cover your car

Zip it up
Old 12-20-2015, 11:00 PM
leebay
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 384 Posts

Default Car storage and mold

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
When I stored my Vette for longer periods of time, I went to Ebay and bought a big one of those products used with pills to remove dampness ( Desiccants). I placed it on a trash bag on the floor mat. Never an issue, or smell.
I recently researched this on the web and found there are products available for this. Damp Rid @ WallyWorld, Dri-It moisture absorber, Dri-Z-Air E-100 and as Killrwheels mentioned Desiccants pellet available at Marine supplies or Ebay
Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 PM
1pt4brd
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek

That is exactly what I was told to get. There is also a product that will repell rodents. Can't think of the name dang nabbit.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:46 PM
hipocars1
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pt4brd
That is exactly what I was told to get. There is also a product that will repell rodents. Can't think of the name dang nabbit.
Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent
http://www.earthkind.com/products/fe...dent-repellent

Get notified of new replies

To Car Storage and Mold

Quick Reply: Car Storage and Mold