Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Scuff on daily driver

Old 12-16-2015, 11:13 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Scuff on daily driver

Good day everyone. I noticed a new scuff on the passenger door of my daily driver. I looks like it is on the surface and didn't pass the clear coat.

I am curious about a product that I could use to remove this. It's my daily driver so I would prefer a product that I can pick up at my local department store if possible.

Let me know your thoughts and if it would help to see pictures.

Thank you
Old 12-17-2015, 10:54 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 741 Likes on 470 Posts

always good to add a pic. If it's a very shallow (very outer layer) of clear,a mild swirl/scratch remover should work( see if you can get Meg's scratch x at the box store. Use a foam pad and a little pressure. wipe with a soft microfiber and do again gently. wipe and apply the LSP of your choice if removed. If not and it's deeper you would need a more aggressive polish -if you have a PC or the likes that is the way to go instead of hand
Old 12-17-2015, 03:21 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Yea Please post a pic......If your fingernail doesn't catch in the scratch or scuff it should come out. Do you have a machine polisher?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:39 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mig1980
Good day everyone. I noticed a new scuff on the passenger door of my daily driver. I looks like it is on the surface and didn't pass the clear coat.

I am curious about a product that I could use to remove this. It's my daily driver so I would prefer a product that I can pick up at my local department store if possible.

Let me know your thoughts and if it would help to see pictures.

Thank you
If you are in a pinch and looking locally, then consider something like Meg's Ultimate Polish. As offered, as long as you cannot decipher the scuff with a fingernail, you should be able to remove it or at the very least reduce it.

I have also heard that Griots and their polishes can be found at some Advance Auto Stores.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:33 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish
Yea Please post a pic......If your fingernail doesn't catch in the scratch or scuff it should come out. Do you have a machine polisher?
Sorry for the delay in response. It has been raining so I have not been able to take a pictures. I do not have a machine polisher but have been thinking about buying a decent one to details my cars and learning the process as well as picking up product.

As a side note, is there a good polisher I could pick up for my bigger detailing tasks that you guys would recommend?

I am going to be picking up some Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and see how that works once the rain stops.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:04 PM
FreshMasters
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have already said, the general rule is if your fingernail doesn't catch then it can be polished out...as always, exceptions apply. I currently use a porter cable 7424 and it handles all of my personal cars plus cars I detail on the side. The link below is for my camaro that had some horrible swirls and scratches in the clear. This was compounded/polished out with M105 and an orange pad followed by M205 with a white finishing pad.

You stated that it seemed as though the scuff didn't pass through the clear yet so I imagine the scuffs will look similar to the camaro. Just my two cents but if you plan on detailing your own cars and want to keep the paint as mint as possible, even something as simple as the PC will help. I actually picked mine up from auto geek - however, I did order the 'hex logic' pads (made by chemical guys i believe?) from amazon and I feel that they performed better than the traditional 'blank' foam design. If you are looking for even more cutting, might wanna check into some Meguiar's microfiber cutting pads.

Ignore the lighting changes in the paint. I had a number of halogens on and didn't realize until the pictures were taken.
http://freshmastersdetail.com/2002-camaro/
Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

As a side note, is there a good polisher I could pick up for my bigger detailing tasks that you guys would recommend?

I am going to be picking up some Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and see how that works once the rain stops.
There are several random orbital buffers like those from Griots, Megs, and Porter Cable that wont break the bank. They all share the same accessories. For each you should consider a 5 inch flexible backing plate, and 5.5 inch pads. If you want to spend a little more then consider the Flex 3401 or Rupes for top of the line polishers.

When used with polishes like those from Megs, Menzerna, and Wolfgang you will find a significant and notable difference over your current finish. The Vette's harder clearcoat responds well to several two step processes from each of these polish companies.

Make sure to also study good washing and good drying techniques. This will reduce the need for polishing paint and keep all your hard work up for sometime to come.

Let us know if we can help you .....

http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html
Old 12-22-2015, 09:41 AM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

We offer several nice polishers & polisher kits at different price points that will take care of your scuff......check them out and feel free to ask any questions!
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4...hing-kits.html

Adam's Polishes is the Officially Licensed Car Care Product of Corvette & Camaro.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:17 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry for the delay in response. It has been raining so I have not been able to take a pictures. I do not have a machine polisher but have been thinking about buying a decent one to details my cars and learning the process as well as picking up product.

I'm down in Roseville, have no problem coming over with some product to help u out
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (01-03-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Scuff on daily driver

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scuff on daily driver