Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

3M Swirl Mark Remover

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default 3M Swirl Mark Remover

Well my bottle of 3M Swirl Mark Remover is finally so old it is thick and chunky, like curddle milk. Should I get more or is there something better or equal at a lower cost.

My car is black if that makes a differenc.

DH
Old 01-25-2016, 05:34 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Why not try Adam's, Our Paint Correcting Polish and Paint finishing polish will do you a great job! BTW nice Vette!

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...ish-combo.html

Adam's Polishes is the Officially Licensed Car Care Product of Corvette & Camaro.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:46 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Well my bottle of 3M Swirl Mark Remover is finally so old it is thick and chunky, like curddle milk. Should I get more or is there something better or equal at a lower cost.

My car is black if that makes a differenc.

DH
A lot of polishes can leave minor marring especially notable on blacks. I highly suggest Menzerna polishes. You can also use Blackfire and Wolfgang. These polishes work well on the harder coats and especially with black. I would not entrust most other polishes to my black Vette.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 01-25-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
A lot of polishes can leave minor marring especially notable on blacks. I highly suggest Menzerna polishes. You can also use Blackfire and Wolfgang. These polishes work well on the harder coats and especially with black. I would not entrust most other polishes to my black Vette.
Oh great!! Couldn't wait, got the itch to order. So I ordered this:
1 3M-39044 - 8 oz. 3M Scratch Remover 9.99

If it works the same as the other 3M product (3M Swirl Mark Remover ) which I assume is now discontinued I will be happy. I only use this for minor corrections that I do by hand (no machine). I will be cautious on first use.

DH
Old 01-25-2016, 07:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-car-po...ct-finish.html

Sonax makes a great polish for spot-polishing. It isn't cheap, but it works well. I offer only so that others who visit this post, might find more than one option.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Sonax makes a great polish for spot-polishing. It isn't cheap, but it works well. I offer only so that others who visit this post, might find more than one option.
So can you change my order and replace the 3M with one of these?
I placed the order yesterday afternoon.

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 01-25-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

So can you change my order and replace the 3M with one of these?
I placed the order yesterday afternoon.

DH
sorry I am offsite ...... I work from home on my off hours. You can always call Nick if your order hasn't shipped. You can use the toll-free number in my signature below.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I tried the 3M Scratch Remover today on a couple of spots. It worked fine and l couldn't see any difference from surrounding areas after applying a good coat of Rejex.

DH
Old 02-14-2016, 07:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

After very close inspection under florescent lignt I did notice a slight dulling (marring?) in the area I used the 3M swirl remover. So per advised given I ordered the Sonax product which seems to be the best ..... right?

I will report back results after I repolish the area. I am using new hand held foam applicator pads. I have micro fiber hand pads as well. Which do you think gives a better result?

DH
Old 02-15-2016, 06:55 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I don't know that definitively you can ever say one product is the best, environments differ as well as finishes. Not to mention that products are changing so darn frequently. You will find several polishes with many followers and lots and lots of praise:

Menzerna 085rd (4500)
Carpro's Essence
Sonax Perfect Finish
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze

I think part of the reason why they are so widely praised, is each finishes well and has a high gloss rating.

Let us know your thoughts ... good and/or bad.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I don't know that definitively you can ever say one product is the best, environments differ as well as finishes. Not to mention that products are changing so darn frequently. You will find several polishes with many followers and lots and lots of praise:

Menzerna 085rd (4500)
Carpro's Essence
Sonax Perfect Finish
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze

I think part of the reason why they are so widely praised, is each finishes well and has a high gloss rating.

Let us know your thoughts ... good and/or bad.
Can you answer my question regarding which hand applicator is prefered: foam or micro or something else?

DH
Old 02-16-2016, 02:25 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Can you answer my question regarding which hand applicator is prefered: foam or micro or something else?

DH
If you were using a machine, I would say a soft foam pad, but for hand application, a more aggressive applicator probably wouldn't hurt.

I would pop for a harbor freight DA polisher on the 20% coupon ($69 on sale). It will make short work of finishing polish. You can repair scratches so much better with a dual action polisher, plus you can apply wax a lot faster than by hand...it is a time saver for the money invested.

Last edited by mike100; 02-16-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mike100
If you were using a machine, I would say a soft foam pad, but for hand application, a more aggressive applicator probably wouldn't hurt.

I would pop for a harbor freight DA polisher on the 20% coupon ($69 on sale). It will make short work of finishing polish. You can repair scratches so much better with a dual action polisher, plus you can apply wax a lot faster than by hand...it is a time saver for the money invested.
Thanks, I have one. But for small spots it takes less time by hand. Gotta get out extention cords, mess with setting up the DA and then clean pad afterwards .............

DH
Old 02-16-2016, 06:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

DH
For spot polishing, I often use a foam or m/f wax applicator. I also have used my little polishing pal and its foam applicators as needed. I then use a soft mf towel to remove the residue.

http://www.autogeek.net/polishing-pal.html

Get notified of new replies

To 3M Swirl Mark Remover

Quick Reply: 3M Swirl Mark Remover