Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

2016 Chevy Corvette Z06 Orange Peel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 03:45 PM
0Gloss-it
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 2016 Chevy Corvette Z06 Orange Peel Removal

Hello guys,

The shop has been busy and I just wanted to post a teaser pic of what we are working on currently. The customer came in and wasn't satisfied with the factory paint job, most cars come from the factory with orange peel. Some paint will show orange peel more noticeable than others, but this customer wanted it gone. Here is a teaser pic of the car partially taped up on the edges, we are using 2000 grit Eagle Abrasives sandpaper for this job and highly recommend it! I will update the thread in a few days when the job is completed to show the before and after shots.

Last edited by Gloss-it; 02-13-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:07 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Cool, should look insane when complete... I always wanted to do this to my Vette, but was told it's risky because after this process there isn't a lot of clear left for protection. So if I was too get a scratch it would be difficult to get out, if even able to @ all. Was I misinformed? How much are you guys charging for something like this, I know it's pretty labor intensive.

Last edited by 1MEANGS; 02-03-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:59 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Also curious on clearcoat lifespan. I have heard of respraying more clearcoat on entire cars after a panel repair etc.

Anyways- awesome work. I always admired the paint and finish industry, but I never had much of any experience in it.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:27 PM
0Gloss-it
Former Vendor

Here are some more teaser pictures before we finish it and put our Evo Quartz Coating on it. As for the clearcoat being thin, we measured the paint with our gauge and the corvettes usually run anywhere from 4-5 mils of thickness. We did take it easy on this car since, I did hear about the clearcoat being thin. We haven't burned through any of the clearcoat with the 2000 grit. As for any sanding you will be taken off some of the clearcoat, that is why we highly recommend our Evo Quartz Coating. After we completely finish the sand and polish we will be adding two layers of our Pro 9H coating. This will create a bond between the clearcoat and coating giving it extra durability. Our Pro 9H coating last up to 4 years.

As for pricing we charge an hourly rate for colorsanding which is $89 per hour per person. He let us have the car for a couple weeks so we could take our time and work around other cars. We have about 40 hours into it once it will be completed. I will post more pictures once we have finished the Evo Quartz Coating.

Last edited by Gloss-it; 02-13-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:41 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks really good... Always wanted to wet sand a car to get the orange peel out... My buddy had his Denali truck done like that and it completely made the car look like a totally different color after due to the correction it did. Made for a great upgrade because the wow factor was there, bet owner is happy!
Old 02-08-2016, 04:20 PM
PinnacleAutoCT
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great so far, definitely update with the final pics!
Old 02-13-2016, 05:03 PM
0Gloss-it
Former Vendor

Here are some final shots of it in the sun. You really need to see it in person to get the full depth of the paint. As for protection, we added 2 layers of our Evo Quartz Pro 9H coating to help aid the clearcoat. Evo Quartz Coating helps bond with the clearcoat to create a harder protective shell on top. Once bonded the Evo Quartz Coating helps sustain marring and smaller scratches for the future along with making the car easier to clean. The customer was really happy to get it back in pristine condition without the orange peel and now awaiting to enter the Z06 into car shows. Anyone interested in our Evo Quartz Coating we do offer monthly classes to give you buying rights to our Evo Quartz Pro 9H, along with giving you a 25% discount Quartz purchases. Our next class is February 27th 2016 and is held at our warehouse in Las Vegas, NV.

The products used after color sanding were:

Evo21 Dual Action Polisher

Evo Polish Heavy Cut 1000
Evo Polish Ultra Finish 3000
Evo 6" White Wool Pad
Evo 6" Blue Foam Pad
Gloss Enhancer Quick Detail Spray
Dual Plush Microfiber Towel
Evo Quartz Pro 9H

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Chevy Corvette Z06 Orange Peel Removal

Quick Reply: 2016 Chevy Corvette Z06 Orange Peel Removal