Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

detailing engine compartment question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 07:11 PM
NCOMNC5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default detailing engine compartment question

anyone use the high pressure wash at those self wash car washes to clean the engine bay and if so did it cause problems.. Also what is used to get the sheen on the rubber hoses and plastic parts in the engine bay.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:58 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

you will likely have major problem using a quater machine public spray wash because:

1)the higher pressure spray will need a little extra car for water intrusion.
2) and the more important point: you have to drive to the location so the engine will be hot. this is an excellent way to damage certain electric components that don't do well with sudden temp changes (like tps sensors for one).

you can get a spray washer for your home location or even a siphon sprayer siphoning from a gallon jug of water- you just need compressed air. doing it at home also allows you to work on a cold engine bay.
The following users liked this post:
NCOMNC5 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by NCOMNC5
anyone use the high pressure wash at those self wash car washes to clean the engine bay and if so did it cause problems.. Also what is used to get the sheen on the rubber hoses and plastic parts in the engine bay.
Modern engine bays have fuse boxes, relays, coils, and other items that all could be susceptible to water damage. It would be careful and considerate to clean with a rinseless or waterless wash and a bucket of water or two.

I have also found that compressed air and a small brush or paint brush (cut bristles down 1/3 the way) can help with sand in corners without need for pressurized water.

Finally, once the engine bay is clean to your liking. Stay away from glossy silicone dressings which capture and hold dirt and dust. Use a water based dressing as you can find many different looks depending on brand from fresh to matte to shiny. 303 Protectant is a best seller and often well suggested by Vette owners.
NCOMNC5 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:43 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Here are some good tips on cleaning, then follow up with SVRT and In & Out Spray for all the rubber and plastics in your engine compartment......

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...-dressing.html

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...out-spray.html

Last edited by Adam's Polish; 02-02-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:50 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My experience detailing my cars is to do it from day one. If you think your brand new Corvette engine bay doesn't need detailing guess again. Last year I saw a 2016 come in to a show and the bay was horrendous and it came right from the dealer to the show.
If you start at the onset and rinse it and use some tight quarter long reach brushes, you will never have to even think of high pressure washing.
As for plastic and hoses I use Stoner Trim to keep things looking new.
NCOMNC5 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default No Water

Originally Posted by NCOMNC5
OK, so this will probably be an unpopular response.

I have been detailing cars and Corvettes for over 30 years. Back in 1985 I used to use a high pressure, hot pressure washer to "steam" clean engine bays; not anymore. With todays complicated relays, sensors, and electronics under the hood it is asking for problems to pressure wash or spray a hose under the hood of your Corvette.

You will need some cleaner; Purple Power, Dawn dish liquid (for the suspension), small detail brushes, rags, a lot of patience and some elbow grease. The last really dirty engine I did was in 2009 on my 2004 C5 'vert that I purchased from the original owner with 14K miles on it...I spent 17 hours detailing that engine and the bay; no hose or pressure washer used. That car has gone on to win two NCCC judged shows, placed in the top three, in its class three years in a row at Vettes on the Rockies (before its cancellation) and numerous first place wins at local events. Bottom line is IMO, don't use water under the hood; its not worth the damage that can be done short or long term and you can get great results without it.

Last edited by Too-Fast; 02-07-2016 at 04:30 PM.
NCOMNC5 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 01:03 PM
NCOMNC5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input. Common sense told me not to use the high pressure route. The last time I used one was way back in 71 on may Chevelle SS.

Get notified of new replies

To detailing engine compartment question

Quick Reply: detailing engine compartment question