Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!?

Old 09-01-2002, 09:13 PM
calais86
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!?

Everyone, take this post as part seeking advice, part venting. I had the C5 out yesterday; nothing major some errands to run, etc. In the course of my driving, took my baby under the train tracks; I will in Brooklyn NY so its kinda hard not to have to pass under the train while cruising around. When, I get home and notice that one of our fine feathered friends, aka a NYC flying rat, “relieved himself” on my back window with some of it getting on the rear deck. :eek:
Not too big a deal I figured, I was planning to wash my car today anyway.

To make a long story short, I wash the car today and on the part of the deck that was exposed to the birdie "goodness", I can still see marks on the paint. Try as I could, I just couldn’t get the spot to look “perfect”. Did I wait too long letting it sit for a day and the clear coat got damaged, or is there something else I could try? I mean, it isn’t that noticeable, but I can see it and its pissing me off!!!
:mad :mad :mad
Old 09-01-2002, 09:35 PM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Default Re: Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!? (calais86)

try some buffing compound or polish.I use 3M finesse it but you will have to go to an auto paint store to buy it .It is about 30.00 a quart but it is worth it . You will have to wax it afterwards.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:51 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

Default Re: Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!? (calais86)

3M Scratch and Swirl Remover will fix the damage that the bird did, you can find that at most auto stores like Pep Boys. :)
Old 09-03-2002, 04:56 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 865 Likes on 433 Posts

Default Re: Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!? (hcvone)

No, remember what the pros use? Their tounges & saliva to neutralize the acidic content. Using your tounge will not sctratch like a cloth will, even a 100% cotton one. Your saliva and buds on your tounge should be enough to remove it.

Trust me.... I saw 2 guys do this on their $1,000,000.00 cars at the Hershey car show a few years ago...

When I posted it here on the forum, guys laughed, but I'm telling you, if you do not want sctratches or a mark, use your tounge. :U

I really does work! (not speaking from the experience of doing, speaking from the experience of watching guys do it..... :yesnod: )

[Modified by indypace78, 3:57 PM 9/3/2002]
Old 09-03-2002, 05:30 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!? (indypace78)

No, remember what the pros use? Their tounges & saliva to neutralize the acidic content. Using your tounge will not sctratch like a cloth will, even a 100% cotton one. Your saliva and buds on your tounge should be enough to remove it.

Trust me.... I saw 2 guys do this on their $1,000,000.00 cars at the Hershey car show a few years ago...

When I posted it here on the forum, guys laughed, but I'm telling you, if you do not want sctratches or a mark, use your tounge. :U

I really does work! (not speaking from the experience of doing, speaking from the experience of watching guys do it..... :yesnod: )
:eek: I think I prefer the more traditional approach ...
Old 09-05-2002, 08:52 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

Default Re: Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!? (indypace78)

[Modified by indypace78, 3:57 PM 9/3/2002]
Indy, you are not licking my car :( :( :p:
Old 09-06-2002, 07:51 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

I had the same prob and the only thing I could get to correct it was lots of coats of zymol. I tried several polishes (these leave a lot of marks unless you're super careful) and other waxes and zymol totally fixed it.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:48 AM
rbridges
Race Director

Default Re: Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!? (RichieRich)

as far as waiting too long, I don't think there's such a thing. I've seen spots "etch" after very little time. Even with zaino, the acidity of poop/guts doesn't take long to damage the clear coat.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:40 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 865 Likes on 433 Posts

Default Re: Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!? (hcvone)

Indy, you are not licking my car :( :( :p:
Thats right Carl... Lick your OWN car when a bird shats on it... :yesnod:
Old 09-07-2002, 12:16 PM
Silver2002
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Try the 3M 39009. It works for me.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:23 PM
Hurricane_777
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!? (Silver2002)

I had the EXACT same problem happen to me this weekend. I couldn't believe that a little bit of crap could cause permanent damage. I was going to start a new post, but this hits it on the head.

I'm going to give the 3M a try this weekend. Is the 3M 39009 the same as the 3M Fine Cut Cleaner? Are either of these abrasive and do I run the risk of damaging the spot further if I apply with an orbital?

Thanks,

Scott :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pigeon “did its business” on my vette! Best way to clean?!?