Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Waterless Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:05 AM
1pt4brd
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Waterless Wash?

What the heck is this?
Old 03-10-2016, 09:59 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

You mean no rinse?
Old 03-10-2016, 10:14 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Waterless wash is like detailing spray but with way more lubrication.

I use it in between washes. Obviously not recommended for use when you car is heavily soiled.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:53 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by ttx350z

I use it in between washes. Obviously not recommended for use when you car is heavily soiled.
Yep

I use Poorboys spray and wipe. Just cleans, does not add anything. (glossing agents, wax, etc)
Old 03-10-2016, 05:10 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-ca...-products.html

There are waterless and rinseless washes ... both are described above and some of the techniques to use it properly. These items are used frequently in water restricted areas, but can be used elsewhere with equal success.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:56 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Waterless wash is a great, safe way to clean your car without dragging out hose and buckets. Check out this video!

Old 03-10-2016, 08:52 PM
1pt4brd
Racer

Originally Posted by ttx350z

So a detailing spray is not considered waterless or rinse less?
Old 03-10-2016, 11:04 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1pt4brd
Yes and no. If your're detailing, it is techinically a waterless process since you're not using a bucket or hose of water.

And again it's not a true waterless wash because detailing spray does not have the same amount of lubrication as a true waterless wash.

For example, I use Surf City Garage Pro-rinse free concentrate. I can mix it 64:1 with water and use it as a detailer, or mix it 16:1 as a waterless wash. So the higher concetrate of the active ingredients is what makes it safe to "wash" your vehicle. The higher concentration of wax/cleaners is what emulsifies the dirt and makes it safe. A detailer would not have as high a concentration so it may possibly not emulsify all the dirt and that could scratch your paint.

There's time a detailing spray comes in handy. Such as after an actual wash and you want to clay the car. You still need lubrication for the clay bar. Since the car was just wash, it's safe to say that there is not that much dust on it. It is more economical for me to use a detailing spray since the solution has 4x less concentrate, so I save money by not using more concentrate than I need.

Last edited by ttx350z; 03-10-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:42 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

My 2005 GTO has only been washed with water 3 or 4 times, all the rest (after every drive) I either do a WW or Detail Spray wipe down.

Name:  20130820_152533997_iOS.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  690.9 KB
Old 03-11-2016, 09:18 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Some products, like Optimum No Rinse (ONR) is designed to be a detail spray, waterless, rinseless, and even clay lube. You dilute it depending on the design needed.

Others like Blackfire make each product specifically for the need. As such the Rinseless Wash is already premade and specifically for rinseless purposes.

What are your specific needs and the environment that it will be used ??
Old 03-13-2016, 10:12 PM
1pt4brd
Racer

Had a good day here a week or so and took a drive. Not good enough weather to give it a full bath. Need to clean it up. But will also be taking some road trips this summer and want to clean it up after being on the road. So looking for the best spit shine.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:42 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Had a good day here a week or so and took a drive. Not good enough weather to give it a full bath. Need to clean it up. But will also be taking some road trips this summer and want to clean it up after being on the road. So looking for the best spit shine.
When we travel we have a small detail bag. I take a small bottle of Poorboys Bug Squash and I mix up some ONR for clean-ups. Most of the area is taken up by lots of soft MF towels. As another hint, take a couple ziplocks so that you can place the dirty towels in them away from all others. If you don't have a traditional detail bag ... those vinyl lunch pails work well too

Old 03-15-2016, 06:50 PM
radiocide222
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They pretty much have it right. I only use waterless washes on my 'Vette since I've detailed it. It's all it really needs seeing as how it's garage kept and only driven on nice days when the roads are dry.

Like what has been stated, a Waterless Wash is basically a QD on steroids with the lubrication. You're not using any water, period, it's pretty much a spray-on-wipe-off product (ergo the "waterless") while a rinseless wash is a wash concentrate that is added to a single bucket of water, has exceptional lubrication abilities, and can be wiped to a shine after you wash the panel, hence "no rinsing" required.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I had never heard of a waterless wash until I found this topic.
I find that I am more than a little disturbed when my car is dirty, for no particular reason (because I am comfortable with dirt in other areas of my life).
So, today I picked up a spray bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, and I think I'm in love. I cleaned my car in 30 minutes, and it shines like a mirror. Like, O.M.G. And it smells like coconut!
Since this is my first really special car, I have to admit that I enjoyed the warm spring evening, polishing the car in the driveway. After all these years, I think I understand car guys.
When I drive down the road, my car says "I'm special and my mommy loves me."
Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Would these waterless washes be helpful to use after "no-touch" automatic car washes that get most of the dirt off?
Old 03-15-2016, 11:45 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Originally Posted by fumbling
Would these waterless washes be helpful to use after "no-touch" automatic car washes that get most of the dirt off?
I do this often as I live in an apartment where I don't have a water spigot.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:21 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I'll share with you a little impromptu test we did once with touchless auto car washes found at some gas stations. They suggest high pressure water and soap will remove all dirt without any agitation or movement. We took one of our white MF gloves. We ran the car thru several different touchless washes and then wiped an area like the hood and sides with the glove. The outcome ..... a lot of dirt !

I would highly suggest refraining from them to truly clean a car. The water is filtered (if your lucky the filters are replaced often) and the soap does not contain the ingredients needed to effectively loosen and remove dirt.

With a rinseless wash, you are still using some pressure and movement when using the MF towels with the product. A rinseless or waterless wash also contains ingredients which start to release and loosen dirt. That's why it most will suggest a presoak spray even when use a rinseless wash and bucket of water.

Get notified of new replies

To Waterless Wash?

Old 03-17-2016, 04:50 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I'll share with you a little impromptu test we did once with touchless auto car washes found at some gas stations. They suggest high pressure water and soap will remove all dirt without any agitation or movement. We took one of our white MF gloves. We ran the car thru several different touchless washes and then wiped an area like the hood and sides with the glove. The outcome ..... a lot of dirt !

I would highly suggest refraining from them to truly clean a car. The water is filtered (if your lucky the filters are replaced often) and the soap does not contain the ingredients needed to effectively loosen and remove dirt.

With a rinseless wash, you are still using some pressure and movement when using the MF towels with the product. A rinseless or waterless wash also contains ingredients which start to release and loosen dirt. That's why it most will suggest a presoak spray even when use a rinseless wash and bucket of water.
Just as a point or reference..... Touchless washes use hydrofluoric acid to aid in dirt removal (not well for that matter). They spray it on w soap, let it dwell for a short time then powerwash it off. (it will also usually leave a film of stuff and dirt)...... It's also what causes some trim to turn funny colors that ya can't buff out. It can also screw up paint and glass. Here is a warning from Honda about it. Probably other manufs have similar warnings.

The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (03-17-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Based on the information in this thread I will no longer use the touchless car wash which is a shame since it was so convenient. Bought some Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere and tried it this weekend. Very pleased with the results. My car is garaged and usually covered so it rarely gets more than a light dusting on it so the bottle wash is all that needs.
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 03:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jimnc
Based on the information in this thread I will no longer use the touchless car wash which is a shame since it was so convenient. Bought some Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere and tried it this weekend. Very pleased with the results. My car is garaged and usually covered so it rarely gets more than a light dusting on it so the bottle wash is all that needs.
its a great product, and when used properly should offer exactly what you need. Might even save you some $$ long term too

Quick Reply: Waterless Wash?