Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

looking for a reasonable and complete process

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:35 AM
ScubachefVette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default looking for a reasonable and complete process

I purchased a 2012 Centennial GS. The exterior is pretty nice, few small surface scratches,clearcoat has nice gloss and good finish, but i know it hasnt been REALLY worked on and cared for lately. Trying to see if i can restore it a good bit or if i should save the dough and time and take it to a pro.

The satin vinyl stripes need some attention too (whats your best successful product here?) Cleaner first, then Adams VRT were suggested

I have heard stripping the car car w Dawn is good ( some say dont do it), then clay bar i know i need, but where to go from there, someone suggested Adams Brilliant Glaze then Americarna Wax, to see what ive really got, but there are some many good Vendors and products(another enthusiastically recommended Zainos)

Please, without all the back and forth, recommend a 2-5 step process and specific products that have worked for you in similar situations.

I know it will cost a few $$ and some effort, just want a proven series of efforts that will yield really good results
Old 04-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Broker99
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If the stripes need attention you may just want to remove the old ones and apply new stripes. Not much you can do with satin. Its ok to wash the car down with dawn. Or you can IPA wipe down. If the car already has a glossy finish maybe you dont need to do anything. If the paint is smooth no need to clay.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:15 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ScubachefVette
I purchased a 2012 Centennial GS. The exterior is pretty nice, few small surface scratches,clearcoat has nice gloss and good finish, but i know it hasnt been REALLY worked on and cared for lately. Trying to see if i can restore it a good bit or if i should save the dough and time and take it to a pro.

The satin vinyl stripes need some attention too (whats your best successful product here?) Cleaner first, then Adams VRT were suggested

I have heard stripping the car car w Dawn is good ( some say dont do it), then clay bar i know i need, but where to go from there, someone suggested Adams Brilliant Glaze then Americarna Wax, to see what ive really got, but there are some many good Vendors and products(another enthusiastically recommended Zainos)

Please, without all the back and forth, recommend a 2-5 step process and specific products that have worked for you in similar situations.

I know it will cost a few $$ and some effort, just want a proven series of efforts that will yield really good results
Here is some good info on caring for stripes.
http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/134...vinyl-stripes/
Brilliant Glaze has some fillers however to remove the scratches you will need to machine polish.
Do you have a polisher? You can put a couple oz's of APC in your wash water to strip your wax.
Check out this video!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubachefVette

Wash ----) Clay ----) Polish (or paint cleanser) ---) Protect

Washing --- Any good car wash will do. Dawn is not suggested but one time wont hurt. Wash the car well removing all surface dirt. Study good washing techniques and consider 2 bucket washing when possible.

Claying --- Its very important not to skip this step. You have clay bars, towels, or sponge. For simplicity and cost I prefer clay bar. Get a good kit with lube. After washing, before drying, clay the entire car.

Polishing / Paint Cleansing -- This is where your time and $$$ will bring the best results. Machine polishing with a random orbital and a 1 or 2 step polish system (I like Menzerna/Wolfgang polishes on GM hard clearcoat). The first step is to remove the swirls and large scratches. The second is for finishing and will amp up the gloss and reflection and remove any minor marring left over from the original polish.

Protecting --- This step is literally the hardest. You have waxes, sealants, or coatings. It comes down to the environment and your desire for future detailing. Waxes wear down quickest and need reapplication. Coatings are applied once and last a year or longer, and coatings don't require heavy buffing when applied thin. Our Wolfgang Uber coating is super easy to apply, extremely reflective and glossy, and will protect for a couple years with just one application.

Waxes -- P21S, Pinnacle, Blackfire
Sealants --- Blackfire, Wolfgang, Duragloss, Four Star
(don't get to deep into names only, look for referrals and reviews, these are well rated and easy to use/remove also)

No matter your choice in product, and we offer ALL the best lines so you can choose (I can help by PM too). Just remember learning good washing and drying techniques will provide the best outcome long term.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Oh and those stripes .... if they are not painted, then do NOT polish them. Use products designed for the type of material of the stripes, most often vinyl. Here's one :

http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guy...-detailer.html

Let us know if you need more help ....
Old 04-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

Killrwheels, thanks for the concise and informative overview of the start-finish process. Exactly what I was looking for. Will be stopping stop by your website to do some shopping. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:15 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Yaupon
Killrwheels, thanks for the concise and informative overview of the start-finish process. Exactly what I was looking for. Will be stopping stop by your website to do some shopping. Thanks again.
PM me if you need anything or give us a call as needed. We appreciate the opportunity to help.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:00 PM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
PM me if you need anything or give us a call as needed. We appreciate the opportunity to help.
Killrwheels, thank you. Really appreciate your guidance and awesome customer service. Just placed my first products order from AG and the 10% CF discount saved me a tidy little sum. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Thank you .... for considering us, and our forum support. Please remember we want to help as needed, even long after a purchase. If you run into any issues or just want to go over your process, we are here to help. Let me know thru PM if you need my assistance specifically.

Get notified of new replies

To looking for a reasonable and complete process

Quick Reply: looking for a reasonable and complete process