Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Opti-Coat Pro + and Heritage Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 10:09 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Opti-Coat Pro + and Heritage Stripes

Good Evening All,

I'm having Opti-Coat applied on my 2012 GS. The car is going to require some paint correction before the application.

Is it safe to lightly polish and then cover the stripes with Opti-Coat? The installer is of the opinion a light polish of the stripes will be fine. He is aware that they're vinyl. If the paint required anything more than a light polish he will tape off the stripes.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2016, 07:22 AM
Broker99
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If the stripes do not have a matte finish i think you should be ok with a light polish. Not sure what machine he is using but i would use a slow speed. Opti coat should not be a problem. Coatings can be applied over clear bra and wraps so i dont see an issue over the stripes.
The following users liked this post:
Rich Mickol (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:16 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Good Evening All,

I'm having Opti-Coat applied on my 2012 GS. The car is going to require some paint correction before the application.

Is it safe to lightly polish and then cover the stripes with Opti-Coat? The installer is of the opinion a light polish of the stripes will be fine. He is aware that they're vinyl. If the paint required anything more than a light polish he will tape off the stripes.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Is the detailer insured ?? Warranty ?? Authorized Optimum Opti-coat installer ?? Any referrals to other clients with stripes ??

If you are in doubt you can certainly request that he refrain from polishing the stripes.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:42 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Is the detailer insured ?? Warranty ?? Authorized Optimum Opti-coat installer ?? Any referrals to other clients with stripes ??

If you are in doubt you can certainly request that he refrain from polishing the stripes.
Thanks. Yes he is a Authorized Installer with references. Just never did any with stripes.

I just might do that and have him tape off the stripes. He can spray them down with cleaner only and then coat them.

I have a month to decide. I also think that when he sees them, he may not want to touch them.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Broker99
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep us posted how it turns out
Old 04-13-2016, 10:12 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Will do.

I'm still hoping someone will chime it who has had it done, either way.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Thanks. Yes he is a Authorized Installer with references. Just never did any with stripes.

I just might do that and have him tape off the stripes. He can spray them down with cleaner only and then coat them.

I have a month to decide. I also think that when he sees them, he may not want to touch them.
one of my contacts suggests this highly on vinyl stripes ... its supposed to work well on matte paints and clear-bra's too. It has UV protection built into it .. unfortunately no polishing agents, but if stripes are in good condition this might be the choice to protect.

http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guy...-detailer.html
Old 04-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info. The only issue I have is that I wouldn't call the vinyl stripes "matte". They almost look as though they have a clear coat on them.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Thanks for the info. The only issue I have is that I wouldn't call the vinyl stripes "matte". They almost look as though they have a clear coat on them.
The product above also works well on clear bra's which are not matte but transparent. It was originally designed for the safety of matte paint and also vinyl wrapped cars. As with any product, you should test in small area first.

If the stripes are painted or clearcoated, you will likely want to treat them as you would paint. A professional should be able to help with this upon a visual inspection.
The following users liked this post:
Rich Mickol (04-16-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Opti-Coat Pro + and Heritage Stripes

Quick Reply: Opti-Coat Pro + and Heritage Stripes