Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Optimum no rinse wash & shine, whole process?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:38 PM
danny99
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Optimum no rinse wash & shine, whole process?

Hello all,

Reading car washing processes has been overwhelming. Can anyone lay out a simple process using ONR?

I plan on using two buckets, one with the ONR mixture, and the other just with water and the grit guard in it.

I'll use the lake land country blue sponge washing one panel at a time with the ONR mixture and then drying the panel with a micro towel.

I'll do the above till im done with all panels. What's next? Is that the whole process? Am i finished?!

Or do i need to use "clay bars" next with the ONR solution? I just learned about clay bars only an hour ago..

And when/how should I apply wax?

Sorry, all this is new to me.. hah

Last edited by danny99; 04-15-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:36 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

ONR is a great product and very easy to use. It can be used in several designs but most commonly as a rinseless wash. As you offered you use two buckets, one with ONR and the other with plain water. You should consider a Grit Gard in each bucket for extra protection and keeping any sediment in the bottom of each bucket.

You will wash each panel, then rinse of the mitt in the water bucket. You then take the clean mitt and revisit the ONR and wash the next panel. You will need to dry the panel with some soft, thick MF towels. Once done you are good to go .... ONR is often in two versions, one with some wax if desired. (green version)

Claying is a valid step in car care, and you can use ONR to make a clay lube as desired. You wont clay each time you wash the car, likely 1-2 times a year at best.

Waxing/Sealing/Coating paint is a way to protect the painted surface. You can do it with traditional wax products that are applied and buffed off. You can use spray products, or something like ONR with carnauba wax. If you want the absolute longest protection then consider a coating. You don't want to necessarily wax or seal paint before it has been washed, clayed, and polished or cleaned chemically.

Generally in car care:

Wash ------- ) Clay ----- ) Polish (or paint cleansing) ------ ) Protect
The following users liked this post:
danny99 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 09:09 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

What I do is have two buckets with grit guards in the bottom. One with ONR and one water. I soak half a dozen microfiber towels in the ONR. I then spray a panel with ONR that I put in a spray bottle. I take one towel (rung out slightly and folded in quarters) and starting at the top wipe across the panel. I then flip it and wipe the next lower section repeating until all 8 sides are used. I then dry those areas with other microfiber towels. Typically I use the plain water bucket just to soak the towels I'm done with. Once in a while I might rinse a towel if it's not too dirty and redip in the ONR bucket but I try to avoid that. Typically I go through a dozen towels doing this. That's it, you're done. It sounds more complicated than it is but to be honest I find this method almost quicker than a traditional wash. I believe there is a video on You Tube or maybe even Adams website showing the method I described.

Last edited by Kvothe; 04-15-2016 at 09:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kvothe:
danny99 (04-20-2016), dmk0210 (04-27-2017)
Old 05-24-2016, 07:15 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Can you dry the car using a leaf blower instead, or is the towel drying method an essential part of the process? In other words, does drying it with a towel help layer it? I plan on trying the ONR Wax version.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:31 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by 5knives
Can you dry the car using a leaf blower instead, or is the towel drying method an essential part of the process? In other words, does drying it with a towel help layer it? I plan on trying the ONR Wax version.

It shouldn't be wet enough to dry with leaf blower. Get a good drying towel. Poorboys or griots pfm
Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ronkh57
It shouldn't be wet enough to dry with leaf blower. Get a good drying towel. Poorboys or griots pfm
Good to know. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Optimum no rinse wash & shine, whole process?

Quick Reply: Optimum no rinse wash & shine, whole process?