Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Review: Solutions Finish from AutoGeek

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 02:11 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 746 Likes on 474 Posts

Default Review: Solutions Finish from AutoGeek

Well it's been a month and things did not go as planned. From the flu hitting me to the weather.
After many years and countless dollars spent on products, I decided to give another one a go. Over the years, AutoGeek has become for the most part my " go to" place for detailing products. The lines they carry generally are pretty dang good. So after an e-mail, I decided to give another product a go.
Plastic trim. The bane of everyone who details. Like wax and sealants, there are an abundance of products claiming to restore to "like new" out there. Having one hold up is the Holy Grail right. First a little info
Plastics are not all the same. From composition to manufacture many variables come into play. Are you a non-smoker who has seen a light white haze on the windshield and wondered" what the heck"?. It's off gassing from something called plasticizer. This is something added to plastic to keep it more or less pliable. As time goes on it leeches out. The "fog " on your windshield is one indication. Let it continue and the plastic becomes brittle and cracks. That's why it's important to add a UV protectant to the dash. Garage kept you say. Well it still leeches out-just slower. So now imagine the poor plastic in the sun. When we purchase tapes to bond plastic to another substrate-we always make sure it can deal with plasticizers.Another thing is manufactures add fillers to the plastic to reduce cost. These inferior products are what helps turn your nice black trim to crap. So.....
Solution Finish promises to help restore the trim and add back some of the lost oils and lustre. So on to the review,
After receiving the 1 oz sample, I gathered the needed tools

Sorry for the crappy pics-to make matters worse, I'm missing some.
What I have is a pair of latex gloves-several microfiber towels ( the only time I'll use cheap Walmart ones ). An applicator pad-50-50 Alcohol/water mix and of course the Solution Finish.
Wash car and use an APC on the areas you want to coat. After drying (I use and electric leaf blower ) I wiped the area with the 50/50 alcohol solution to make sure all grease and residue was removed. One thing you can do is tape off the area that you are applying the finish to as it does contain a dye. However any that is misapplied can quickly and easily be removed with the alcohol solution. Sad to say some pics did not come out but here is some trim prior to cleaning. You can see the fading more towards the outer edge

Wipe on and let sit for a couple minutes. After which you wipe with a clean microfiber rag. Use another to make sure it's all removed. The finish is left matte and not tacky or sticky at all. Rather nice

Pics do not do it justice. New-no,but better than anything I have used. Here is a pic of the other side I did a month ago

I left a little on the outside un-coatedand you can easily see the fade line

Again this is now a month on that area ( no longer looks like that as I have coated the whole thing ). A second coat can be applied after approx 4 hours.
I will post again in a couple weeks to a month to let you know how it's hold up-but so far fantastic. Looks great and beads water very well. From what I have left I can do this several more times. A little goes a long way.Thanks for the read

Last edited by yamabob; 04-17-2016 at 04:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:29 AM
z288uup
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I will give this a try.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:40 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Glad to see it worked ...also cool to see Hydro Max from Prima. Unfortunately I believe we are removing the line. It has been one of my favorite spray sealants. Luckily I recently started using McKee's 37 Fast Wax Spray. Another great detailer +
Old 04-18-2016, 06:08 PM
yamabob
Drifting

No more Hydro. Going to force me to try some others now ( can feel the arm twisting). I curious to delve into some of the McKee line as I'm already planning out several to try.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:39 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by yamabob
No more Hydro. Going to force me to try some others now ( can feel the arm twisting). I curious to delve into some of the McKee line as I'm already planning out several to try.
No arm twisting I swear ...

That said, I am also still working my way thru our newest line. It was an update to the XMT360 and DP line so I knew the base. That said, every product was updated based upon the newest technology and ingredients. I started with wheels (wheel cleaner, tire dressing) and now the Fast Wax. I am impressed with Nick and Bob and how they have put this entire line together.

I highly suggest visiting our free sample area with each order. If you miss one, use the comments section to note it on the next order. Perhaps we will see some McKee 37 here soon.

http://www.autogeek.net/car-care-samples.html
Old 04-20-2016, 06:06 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Ouch. Uncle...Uncle J/K Never have to twist these arms for detailing stuff. I think I'm starting to rival your inventory.
Funny when I read" this is the best" "no this is". I've found that different products different times of year work best for me and my techniques. Hell I have some higher end Swissvax's that are matched by lesser wax ( except the way I can just hose bugs off-love that). I don't believe there is one best but many great products. I base my purchase on what works best at that time for me and factor ( in no particular order) ease of application and removal-smell-longevity- appearance. I'll never stop trying products
Old 04-22-2016, 09:44 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I have often shared with others that environment can have a different outcome for different products. There can be "best" products for one individual and another dislikes it. Also, most every product offers strengths and weaknesses. In the end, its about what you personally find best for yourself. And yes ... indeed over time your desires change as well as the products.

I too likely will never stop trying products. The challenge now is that they are coming faster and faster ....

Get notified of new replies

To Review: Solutions Finish from AutoGeek

Quick Reply: Review: Solutions Finish from AutoGeek