Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Alternator Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:42 PM
radaga
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alternator Detailing

I have a '05 that I drive very day even in the snow. I was cleaning the engine compartment yesterday and the alternator sticks out like a sore thumb, the casing is something short of brand new looking..... Given that it is the alternator and not some suspension part what can be used to clean it? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:59 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I have to be honest, I have heard of many trying with assorted drill heads and sand paper as well as metal polishes. Most give up or purchase a high end stereo model. I have also heard those putting chrome covers over them seem to believe in premature failure of the alternator due to additional heat.

I would suggest treading lightly and consider doing some internet searches for better success.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:13 PM
radaga
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree on the treading lightly, I will look at something less than attractive before I chance frying something. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:20 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

The only way to effectively "Detail" the alternator is to takeout off the car and put it on the bench. You can purchase polished or painted units that look really nice or you can do it yourself given the time. The case is what you are dealing with so the alternator should be disassembled. The easiest way to "detail" one is to hand clean it and go over it with Scotch Bright to give it a uniform and clean appearance. If you choose not to disassemble be very careful not to contaminate the internal windings.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Detailing

Quick Reply: Alternator Detailing