Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

how to clean the transparent c5 roof ?! Photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 03:55 PM
danny99
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default how to clean the transparent c5 roof ?! Photos

My top has a bunch of water spots and these ugly scratches on it. Anyway of cleaning it? I tried scraping off those scratches with my finger nail and they kind of come off. It's very tedious though. Is there a single product that can take them off? I saw a whole restoring DIY thread but I don't have the access to all those products the gentleman used in the DIY

Old 04-20-2016, 05:38 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

There is a UV coating put on these lexan or plastic roofs. Unfortunately it appears the coating is failed and coming off. You can certainly try to restore it, but it might be costly.

For general cleaning soap/water is best and Plexus worked well when I had this top.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Jim D.
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll agree the UV coating has degraded and is coming off of the base transparent polycarbonate roof. It will get worse.

These are a challenge because of the sheer acreage of the roof, but you are basically restoring a headlight.

Mothers NuLens kit would be one choice, but keep in mind the sanding process would be very tedious as a 3" sanding disc such as that used in headlight systems is a bit of match against such a large area, but the process is the same: You need to remove the old coating, sand it smooth and polish it back to clarity with the PowerBall 4Lights, and maintain with a UV blocker such as the PowerPlastic 4Lights polish/protectant. We do sell additional sanding discs online through our eSTORE for a nominal price.

A body shop could also do it for you, and offer a professional UV coating that should last a few years.

Search around in the C5 Tech section for articles on other DIY solutions on how to refinish a C5 top.

P.S. I work for Mothers, and NuLens is available through AutoGeek.

Last edited by Jim D.; 04-21-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To how to clean the transparent c5 roof ?! Photos

Quick Reply: how to clean the transparent c5 roof ?! Photos