Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Competition Ready TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:42 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Default Competition Ready TV

Watched the show last night and was very impressed. It is produced by Autogeek and outlines detailing procedure on a very high end show car for the Builders Award at SEMA last year. The hosts are Mike Phillips from Autogeek and AJ from Overhauling, Chip Foose fame. If you have a chance check it out the Velocity Channel.

Last edited by cmonkey713; 04-23-2016 at 09:43 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cmonkey713:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (04-23-2016), mike c4 (04-23-2016), MikePhillips (05-03-2016), Yaupon (04-24-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 10:25 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Thank you for the kind words .....many episodes remain. It was amazing to see one filmed at Detailfest this year also.
The following users liked this post:
MikePhillips (05-03-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 08:43 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Watched the show last night and was very impressed. It is produced by Autogeek and outlines detailing procedure on a very high end show car for the Builders Award at SEMA last year. The hosts are Mike Phillips from Autogeek and AJ from Overhauling, Chip Foose fame. If you have a chance check it out the Velocity Channel.
I did like the premier show and will look forward to later episodes. However, I was a bit surprised a big $$$ show car with new paint (6 coats of clear coat claimed) would have such bad spider webbing when viewed with the high intensity flashlight. I wonder if like most things on TV the "before" image was "enhanced". It almost looked like one of the old commercials for crappy polish sold in K-mart where they go to a junkyard and polish the hood of a old Pinto .

BIGMAC
Old 04-24-2016, 10:53 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
I did like the premier show and will look forward to later episodes. However, I was a bit surprised a big $$$ show car with new paint (6 coats of clear coat claimed) would have such bad spider webbing when viewed with the high intensity flashlight. I wonder if like most things on TV the "before" image was "enhanced". It almost looked like one of the old commercials for crappy polish sold in K-mart where they go to a junkyard and polish the hood of a old Pinto .

BIGMAC
There were no enhancements done. What I would share is this is why we suggest using flashlamp while detailing. It is almost a must-have when a professional meets with a potential client. Unfortunately most cars, even show cars, have a lot of swirls and marring. It comes down to the type of washing and drying done. Often times show cars see more wiping down then washing. You need to be careful to use the right products, and towels.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:35 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Great show.....Mike and the team did a great job, will be watching!
Old 05-01-2016, 09:00 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Nice show. I'd like to see more details on what the detailers are doing, what the specific products are they are using, and why. Specifics like what claying products, pads, polishes, polishers, compounds, towels, LSPs etc. You see a lot of Meguiars stuff but the Meguiars line is dozens of products, and there's no mention which they are using, and again, why. Less drama and contrived storylines, and more detail please. Watching a guy running a polisher dozens of times during the program doesn't tell me much.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:06 PM
0MikePhillips
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been a few years since I posted here, thank you Killrwheels for sending me the link to this thread.

Originally Posted by cmonkey713

Watched the show last night and was very impressed. It is produced by Autogeek and outlines detailing procedure on a very high end show car for the Builders Award at SEMA last year.

The hosts are Mike Phillips from Autogeek and AJ from Overhauling, Chip Foose fame. If you have a chance check it out the Velocity Channel.
On behalf of AJ and our TV production company, (same company for Overhaulin and Car Crazy), and of course Autogeek, thank you.

Originally Posted by BIGMAC

I did like the premier show and will look forward to later episodes.

However, I was a bit surprised a big $$$ show car with new paint (6 coats of clear coat claimed) would have such bad spider webbing when viewed with the high intensity flashlight.

BIGMAC

Well I was there in person when the Villain was unloaded from the truck. The sun was at my back and the paint was completely filled with holograms from a rotary buffer.

The camera man was on the opposite side so he didn't capture on film the holograms.

The show is NOT about making any car builder or shop look bad and Kyle was being straight-up when he said they just finished the car and did not have time for the final detail. That's were we took over.

But "yes" the swirl shots were real not mocked up and "yes" we did fix it.

Most of the cars in the episodes had some level of swirls. Most also had holograms. Keep in mind a lot of the body shop industry including customer paint shops STOP after the rotary buffer. It's we in the detailing industry that use a lot of dual action polishers.

Also, I think everyone one of the cars we detailed failed the baggie test. I know it can be surprising to most people that when they "look" at a car and think it must be in pristine condition because to their eyes it looks so nice but when you know how to really inspect a car that's when you can accurately determine its true condition.

Not only have we introduced the Baggie Test to hundreds of thousands of TV viewers we've also introduced it to a lot of painters and car builders and everyone is surprised when they feel their paint with their hand and then through a sandwich baggie.

Last edited by MikePhillips; 05-03-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I will chime in as well, I am NO PROFESSIONAL when it comes to detailing a car but I like to do the work on my C6 myself

Really have learned a lot from this show and enjoy it, have DVR set to record the series.

Get notified of new replies

To Competition Ready TV

Quick Reply: Competition Ready TV