Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Gtechnique coating, any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Riding Dirty
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Gtechnique coating, any opinions?

Their C1 crystal lacquer topped with their Exo coating looks interesting. I hope to have my new C7 in 2-3 weeks and haven't yet decided on a coating. I'm looking for ease of application, durability, gloss and good hydrophobic action. This is going to be a do it yourself application, after a light polish. I've heard some products, like Cquartz can't be a bit tricky to apply. I don't want to make a mess of my new car finish. Cquartz UK was my first choice, but I becoming a bit unsure. Also, any recommendations on wheel coatings? I'm getting white with black wheels.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:32 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

I have used several of Gtechnique products, but not G1. I've had pretty good success. Another option to consider is Opt-Gloss. Easy on and off and has all the qualities you are looking for. Coat wheels and all.
Make sure you are satisfied with the surface prep before applying any of these coatings as you will trap the defects under the coating. Well worth the extra time and effort up front. Make sure car is free from all polishing oils( CarPro Eraser works very well)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Riding Dirty
Their C1 crystal lacquer topped with their Exo coating looks interesting. I hope to have my new C7 in 2-3 weeks and haven't yet decided on a coating. I'm looking for ease of application, durability, gloss and good hydrophobic action. This is going to be a do it yourself application, after a light polish. I've heard some products, like Cquartz can't be a bit tricky to apply. I don't want to make a mess of my new car finish. Cquartz UK was my first choice, but I becoming a bit unsure. Also, any recommendations on wheel coatings? I'm getting white with black wheels.
I currently run two different coatings on my cars and one is G-techniq.

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating -- this is our own coating and offers exactly what you have requested above. It is literally the easiest coating that I have used to date. It glossy and super easy to apply and remove. I've had it on my daily driver for three months + and still looks as good as application and beads well. My 11 year old son helped apply and remove it, since a little buff is all that was needed to remove high spots.

Gtechniq EXO -- I have this on my wifes truck. This product was certainly a little more challenging to apply and remove at first. It really is about getting it on very thin, and understanding the dry time in heavy humidity areas. It looks good and very reflective. It didn't bead incredibly at first but we now use the CV2 spray to boost it and it adds to the beading and looks. We tried the Silo Seal with it but found too much streaking as this spray is thicker.

As for wheels, I still like G-techniqs Wheel Armor. I had uncoated Iforged Wheels on the Vette and hated the polishing and protecting to keep them up and looking new. After adding that coating, it literally last two or more years and slowed the decay of an uncoated aluminum wheel.

http://www.autogeek.net/car-paint-gl...-coatings.html
Old 05-02-2016, 06:24 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Speaking on coating's- don't forget the glass. I have some G1 that I want to apply but the weather has not cooperated here.
Scott-any input on this application? I used to coat with the CV2 and like the results.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:38 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by yamabob
Speaking on coating's- don't forget the glass. I have some G1 that I want to apply but the weather has not cooperated here.
Scott-any input on this application? I used to coat with the CV2 and like the results.
I used a product called Aquapel for my glass for many years. It lasted for 6 months and happy with results. (it didn't streak and squeak like other "rain" products)

The new glass coatings last much longer but need some care and prep as you will note any mistakes.

1. Only apply outside of heat in cool environment as possible
2. Prep glass as possible, I use DP Glass Rejuvinator which is now found in the McKee 37 product line at Autogeek
3. Wash car as normal, or clean glass with glass spray and allow to fully dry
4. Apply the coating as directed on the bottle. Most are applied with a small towel or makeup applicator. Most suggest back and forth motion and careful overlap.
5. Allow to cure (dry) per the manufacturers direction. (Products like G-techniq may provide a second bottle that will need to be applied so follow direction)
6. Buff off the high spots well, very well as any leftover residue will be notable out in the sun.

I have found personally that a damp towel helps with stubborn areas, when towel is used before product fully dries. I follow up with a dry towel. If high spots are found after fully cured, I have found the Glass Rejuvinator above helped also.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:16 PM
yamabob
Drifting

I too have used Aquapel for years. Great little product. Just time to play.
Yes the G1 is a 2 part. Well I'll post during and after!!

Get notified of new replies

To Gtechnique coating, any opinions?

Quick Reply: Gtechnique coating, any opinions?