Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Need help/advice!!

Old 05-22-2016, 08:36 PM
canuck9
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Need help/advice!!

So I just got a 2003 Convertible in Electron Blue...just over 26,000 miles and in excellent shape...paint was in good shape but a bit neglected with regard to 'show car' quality. So I order a bunch of product from auto Geek and get down to business yesterday and today.

I washed the car top down with Pinnacle Car Shampoo...two bucket system.

I than clayed the entire car using their clay bar system...I also washed and cleaned the top.

Next, I did a test spot with my Porter Cable with their advanced polish with a white Lake Country polishing pad...no really noticeable results...so I switch to the orange pad...still nothing...next I tried their advanced swirl remover...got rid of a lot of trash and some lines but not really the results I expected.

So next I tried Meguirs ultimate polish compound followed by Scratch X 2.0....than Pinnacles sealant/wax.

I than pulled the car outside the garage and I can see lots of scratches (passed the finger test but very noticeable) and swirl marks/cob webbing...

What gives? I'm assuming I need a more aggressive abrasive? Am I doing something wrong with the polisher to still see swirl marks? In the garage the paint looks flawless and has a great depth to it but I can still see all the flaws when in the sun....I don't really want to have to pay someone else to take care of it...any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Michael
Old 05-22-2016, 08:49 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Get some better lighting for garage, or some sun friendly products (poorboys world avail at geek)

Do a good test spot till you get desired correction results. That'll give you a road map on what needs to be done to rest of car. The pc may take you longer to achieve the results you desire. Have patience.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:00 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Need help/advice!!

Had good results on a black 2004 w/ Meguires D300 and Meguires Microfiber Cutting disks. Took out/leveled some etching that WG Uber and yellow LC pad wouldn't fix unless 4-6 section passes were done. Meguires stuff fixed it up quick albeit with cleaning pad (compressed air) after each section pass. Microfiber cutting disks get loaded up quick.

Followed up with WG Total Swirl Remover & orange LC pad, then WG Finishing Glaze w/ white LC pad.

Took some time to figure out best method but came out nice in the end.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 05-23-2016 at 05:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 08:29 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Sounds like you will need to use the more abrasive polish and orange pad combo. Make sure to prime the pad during first use to avoid pad only contact with surface. With a Porter Cable you will need to use full speed and some pressure but not enough to stop the machine.

Once the paint has been brightened and refreshed (use a piece of tape to measure the differences) then move to a lighter finishing polish and white pad. You can move to a lighter pad and same polish as needed to make sure all light marring is gone.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 PM
canuck9
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Sounds like you will need to use the more abrasive polish and orange pad combo. Make sure to prime the pad during first use to avoid pad only contact with surface. With a Porter Cable you will need to use full speed and some pressure but not enough to stop the machine.

Once the paint has been brightened and refreshed (use a piece of tape to measure the differences) then move to a lighter finishing polish and white pad. You can move to a lighter pad and same polish as needed to make sure all light marring is gone.

Yes...certainly needs to be more aggressive....I ordered some Meguiars last night from you guys....105 M AND 205 M with some more Lake Country orange and white pads....didn't get a confirmation email they went out today... I was hoping them would show up tomorrow as I'm just across Alligator Alley from you guys.

Michael
Old 05-24-2016, 11:44 AM
JLayer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canuck9
Yes...certainly needs to be more aggressive....I ordered some Meguiars last night from you guys....105 M AND 205 M with some more Lake Country orange and white pads....didn't get a confirmation email they went out today... I was hoping them would show up tomorrow as I'm just across Alligator Alley from you guys.

Michael
The 105 and 205 should get you where you want to be. It literally took me 2 full days to do my EB where I was satisfied (85-90% correction). I did another correction 2 years later using the Merzerna 2 step (SIP and NANO) products which I felt were easier to use. Followed that with the wolfgang sealant and the paint looked flawless. Didn't take me as long either.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:50 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Michael
Personally I prefer m101. Since you ordered the 105, get a spray bottle of distilled water and give it a spritz if it starts to dust before you're done.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:30 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Michael
Please call client services as needed to get the package sent out quickly. I apologize but just hearing orders are tremendous due to the Memorial Day Sale Offers.

In the future, just put a little note in the comments section, and we will try to get your order out to meet your needs whenever possible.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:49 PM
canuck9
Drifting

Please call client services as needed to get the package sent out quickly. I apologize but just hearing orders are tremendous due to the Memorial Day Sale Offers.

In the future, just put a little note in the comments section, and we will try to get your order out to meet your needs whenever possible.

Got the product and also ordered a Flex flashlight...got almost half the car done today with the M105, M205 and Pinnacle Carnuba sealant.

Results....certainly got all the trash off the paint...lots of depth...smooth as glass....looks great BUT....

I can't get rid of some scratches on the top of the rear bumper....their location particularly annoy me....tried everything...slow, pressure, fast, etc. etc.

What are my options? Wet sand with a 2000 grit sand paper? As long as its really wet, anything to be careful of? The scratches are in the clear....can't feel anything...they don't even have any color to them...they are like creases almost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael
Old 05-29-2016, 12:55 AM
canuck9
Drifting

Probably don't want to try wet sanding...if I have to go there I'll have a professional do it....but what about a Lake Country purple pad? Or maybe a cyan pad?

Michael
Old 05-29-2016, 06:32 PM
canuck9
Drifting

Almost done...this is a lot of work!! Just have the doors to finish tomorrow.

Pretty happy with the results...car certainly looks a lot better but noticed today I not only have some scratches left but some fine swirl marks here and there...nothing major but still disappointing with the effort I've put in....advice? Using too much product? After I've prepped the pad with 205m I've been putting an X worth of product on a white or grey pad....cleaning off extra residue after two sections each time.

Is there a product that fills in the imperfections? In the end who really cares if there still there as long as no one can seem them.

Looking forward to what you guys think.

Michael
Old 05-29-2016, 06:38 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Almost done...this is a lot of work!! Just have the doors to finish tomorrow.

Pretty happy with the results...car certainly looks a lot better but noticed today I not only have some scratches left but some fine swirl marks here and there...nothing major but still disappointing with the effort I've put in....advice? Using too much product? After I've prepped the pad with 205m I've been putting an X worth of product on a white or grey pad....cleaning off extra residue after two sections each time.

Is there a product that fills in the imperfections? In the end who really cares if there still there as long as no one can seem them.

Looking forward to what you guys think.

Michael
Deep scratches felt by fingernail cannot be removed by buffer. Also note that some finishes need heavier compounding before final polishing.

As for filling you can use a glaze. Just realize it is temporary and over a quick amount of time the they will become noticeable again.

Perhaps you are too hard on yourself .... Sometimes you need to look at your finish the way others do. Stand back 8-15 feet, now are you impressed. Sure you can pick out every ding or chip, but they often cannot.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:23 PM
canuck9
Drifting

Deep scratches felt by fingernail cannot be removed by buffer. Also note that some finishes need heavier compounding before final polishing.

As for filling you can use a glaze. Just realize it is temporary and over a quick amount of time the they will become noticeable again.

Perhaps you are too hard on yourself .... Sometimes you need to look at your finish the way others do. Stand back 8-15 feet, now are you impressed. Sure you can pick out every ding or chip, but they often cannot.

Yes...I'm being very OCD...most others would think it's a show car finish...but I know where the imperfections are and it bugs me....I'm willing to live with some but I'm not at that point yet.

I'm using Meguiar's 105M....would I need something more abrasive? I'm thinking the scratches left are due the limitations of the Porter Cable...most likely it needs the power of a rotary...which I'll have to leave to a professional.

As far as a glaze...I understand they are temporary but how long do they last...a few days, a few weeks? Not a big deal if you get a few weeks out of it and it applies as easily and quickly as a sealant....any you recommend in particular?

All the best,

Michael
Old 05-30-2016, 07:12 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Megs 105 cuts pretty well, it can be varied by the pads abrasiveness also. Example, moving from orange to yellow. Challenge is that you will create more light marring which you will need to remove by moving back down once you get the results needed. Your also removing more clearcoat with heavy passes.

I have seen glazes last for a month or so (synthetic ones like Poorboys) and seen others like Megs Showcar Glaze last only till the next wash. Its easy to apply and remove, its like waxing. You will need to use the product to protect that matches the type of glaze used. For example, a synthetic glaze is compatible with a sealant.

I would not consider a rotary as the newer techniques and buffers are equally able to remove all swirls and marring. The Flex 3401 for example is a powerhouse. With the PC, there are some established techniques which can help more.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:59 PM
canuck9
Drifting

Megs 105 cuts pretty well, it can be varied by the pads abrasiveness also. Example, moving from orange to yellow. Challenge is that you will create more light marring which you will need to remove by moving back down once you get the results needed. Your also removing more clearcoat with heavy passes.

I have seen glazes last for a month or so (synthetic ones like Poorboys) and seen others like Megs Showcar Glaze last only till the next wash. Its easy to apply and remove, its like waxing. You will need to use the product to protect that matches the type of glaze used. For example, a synthetic glaze is compatible with a sealant.

I would not consider a rotary as the newer techniques and buffers are equally able to remove all swirls and marring. The Flex 3401 for example is a powerhouse. With the PC, there are some established techniques which can help more.

For the sealant I used Pinnacle Sovereign....what glaze works best with that?

As far as other techniques with the PC....have any links explaining in further detail? I followed the Kevin Brown method.

Michael
Old 05-31-2016, 04:01 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

I only use PB for glaze now
Old 05-31-2016, 05:28 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

For the sealant I used Pinnacle Sovereign....what glaze works best with that?

As far as other techniques with the PC....have any links explaining in further detail? I followed the Kevin Brown method.

Michael
The KB method was indeed the one I was suggesting ....

Here is the link to the glazes:

http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/...=glaze&x=0&y=0

Just to note, you wont likely see any additional wetness and gloss when using a glaze with Souveran. Its a pretty darn good looking wax on its own. I would consider Megs Showcar Glaze or Poorboys.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:34 PM
canuck9
Drifting

The KB method was indeed the one I was suggesting ....

Here is the link to the glazes:

http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/...=glaze&x=0&y=0

Just to note, you wont likely see any additional wetness and gloss when using a glaze with Souveran. Its a pretty darn good looking wax on its own. I would consider Megs Showcar Glaze or Poorboys.

Do you offer the Poorboys Blackhole product in anything besides the large 128 oz version?

Michael
Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Do you offer the Poorboys Blackhole product in anything besides the large 128 oz version?

Michael
http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-bla...how-glaze.html

16 and 32 ounce sizes also exist.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help/advice!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help/advice!!