Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

will a clay bar realy do anything for swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 12:09 PM
abraham
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default will a clay bar realy do anything for swirl marks

Got the car back from the collision shop and everything looks great except for tons of swirl marks :mad . After doing a search I've seen some posts suggesting to use the clay bar, but does it realy work for swirl marks? I'm thinking of using some 3m products. I currently use Zaino and have gotten rid of small swirl marks with z5 but it just hides them. Now I have alot of swirl marks and need to get rid of them. product suggestions appreciated. Should I clay bar first anyway? Thanks for any help!
Old 09-08-2002, 12:15 PM
MilYellow02
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: will a clay bar realy do anything for swirl marks (abraham)

Got the car back from the collision shop and everything looks great except for tons of swirl marks :mad . After doing a search I've seen some posts suggesting to use the clay bar, but does it realy work for swirl marks? I'm thinking of using some 3m products. I currently use Zaino and have gotten rid of small swirl marks with z5 but it just hides them. Now I have alot of swirl marks and need to get rid of them. product suggestions appreciated. Should I clay bar first anyway? Thanks for any help!
The clay bar won't do much for the swirl marks but the 3M swirl remover will. Do not do anything to the paint but wash it for 90 days (60 days if it sees quite a bit of sunshine) I would suggest that after 90 days you give it a full claying because it will need it anyway.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:17 PM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A clay bar will remove debris that is on the paint surface (but not within or below the paint surface) to provide a smooth base for your wax or polish. So it won't remove swirls marks (ie. fine scratches). Others can chime in which product to use for swirl reduction/removal.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Jesse
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Founder St. Jude Fundraiser

Default Re: will a clay bar realy do anything for swirl marks (MilYellow02)

The clay bar won't do much for the swirl marks but the 3M swirl remover will. Do not do anything to the paint but wash it for 90 days (60 days if it sees quite a bit of sunshine) I would suggest that after 90 days you give it a full claying because it will need it anyway.
:yesnod:
Old 09-08-2002, 12:32 PM
abraham
Burning Brakes

Default Re: will a clay bar realy do anything for swirl marks (luvinc5)

I clay bar every year and didnt think it would do anything for swirls. I have also used(before I knew about clay bar)"3m perfect it 2 rubbing compound" to remove paint overspray. It worked good however I am hesitent about using any more abrasives after that. I guess I will have to try the 3m swirl remover.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:45 PM
Silver2002
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

As mentioned above, clay will do nothing for swirls. The products for that would be 3M 39009 Swirl Remover or Meguiars Professional(tan bottle) Swirl Mark Remover 2.0

Get notified of new replies

To will a clay bar realy do anything for swirl marks

Quick Reply: will a clay bar realy do anything for swirl marks