Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Paint Preparation before applying a polymer wax

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Paint Preparation before applying a polymer wax

What have you used to remove the old wax from the paint. I have heard that Dawn soap may remove wax, however is another method available. The directions on the poly wax bottle states that the old wax should be removed before applying to insure a long life for the poly wax. Otherwise, when the old wax breaks down under the poly wax coating, it's coating life is shortened.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

To some degree I think the dish soap is more myth. I too am guilty as I will do a Dawn pre-wash with a cap full of APC . There are several products on the market that you can choose from. You will more than likely see them as paint cleanser's. I have many ,many times used CarPro Eraser. A nice wash-clay and polish should remove old as well-especially if a coating previously applied -polishing is the way to remove.
Go to autogeek and check them out. What seems to be a well thought out and budget friendly line is their McKee 37.
The following 2 users liked this post by yamabob:
ETHYL (06-03-2016), Killrwheels@Autogeek (06-07-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 05:40 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ETHYL
What have you used to remove the old wax from the paint. I have heard that Dawn soap may remove wax, however is another method available. The directions on the poly wax bottle states that the old wax should be removed before applying to insure a long life for the poly wax. Otherwise, when the old wax breaks down under the poly wax coating, it's coating life is shortened.
There are several choices, often the easiest is polishing which abrasively removes any old wax. If not you can consider a chemical cleaner or solvent based paint cleaner as desired.

For nice paint, I often suggest using a cleaning lotion to prep, one like Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser or P21S:

http://www.autogeek.net/wax-remover.html
The following users liked this post:
ETHYL (06-03-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 04:17 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

I have found that Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer works pretty well after a water/ alcohol mix wipe down. it works great with a Lake Country yellow finishing pad.
The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (06-07-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 06:29 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

I am not a fan of using Dawn on my car. As a detergent, it does nothing good for plastic and rubber trim, and over time, I think it will dry those items out.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:01 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
I am not a fan of using Dawn on my car. As a detergent, it does nothing good for plastic and rubber trim, and over time, I think it will dry those items out.
I too prefer to use a dedicated paint cleaner and leave dishwashing liquids in the home. There is no proof that Dawn removes all of a wax, it does remove the oils and beading, but may not even dent a fully cured sealant.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Preparation before applying a polymer wax

Quick Reply: Paint Preparation before applying a polymer wax