Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Protecting car from the dust on cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Al D
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Protecting car from the dust on cover?

I only cover my car shortly after I wash my car so there is no dust accumulated on it when the cover goes on.

After a week in the garage, my cover has accumulated a weeks worth of dust & grit that would be sitting on my finish. Maybe more, since the cover isn't as slick as my finish.

How do you guys remove and store the cover while not on the car, so that when you put it back on, some of the dust and grit doesn't wind up between the car and cover. I know you can shake it out, but when you fold it up, some of the dust on the outside of the cover has to wind up on the inside.

Not sure how to avoid this.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by Al D; 06-10-2016 at 09:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tony58 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 07:20 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Easy solution = don't use car cover.

Sorry.

I don't like car covers. IMHO they add a false sense of security. They can cause damage putting them on and taking them off. Critters love the coziness and refuge. Also great for trapping moisture. And you can't see if anything is wrong till you take em off.
tony58 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 09:13 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Al D
I only cover my car shortly after I wash my car so there is no dust accumulated on it when the cover goes on.

After a week in the garage, my cover has accumulated a weeks worth of dust & grit that would be sitting on my finish. Maybe more, since the cover isn't as slick as my finish.

How do you guys remove and store the cover while not on the car, so that when you put it back on, some of the dust and grit doesn't wind up between the car and cover. I know you can shake it out, but when you fold it up, some of the dust on the outside of the cover has to wind up on the inside.

Not sure how to avoid this.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I had a couple covers that I used while my car was garage kept. I found no harm at all, and also used a King Size Sheet over the car before putting on the cover.

I never had the cover off the car, other than when using the car, or if washing. I kept it stored in the back hatch and truthfully the wife folded it up nicely. From time to time I would blow off the cover while it was on the car with my Master Blaster if I noticed extreme amount of dust on the top. I never used it full blast, and always concentrated on the top only.

I used to wash those covers annually. I would take them to a local laundry mat and use their machine. On the manufacturers website for the cover, it will suggest their preferred cleaning method.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 06-11-2016 at 09:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Killrwheels@Autogeek:
Al D (07-09-2016), tony58 (06-23-2016), Yaupon (06-11-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 12:19 AM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

I only use a cover for longer term storage. Basically the winter months. Then the wife and I roll it up, and stretch it back out to throw it in the washer to get cleaned. After it dries, it goes into a plastic storage bin until the next slumber.

This is an older (at least 25 years) Wolf Cover that is incredibly soft on the inside, and even has a plastic cover in the back for the license plate.

During the summer, I can just use some sort of waterless wash or detail spray to keep it clean unless it sits outside or we drive thru some rain, then it gets a good wash.
tony58 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:28 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Here is some great advice from the "Junkman"...

Old 06-15-2016, 11:37 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I find that people who don't like car covers either have done 1 of 3 things:
1. not bought the right (see-quality) cover for their car
2. their car is not as clean as it should be before putting the cover on
3. let their cover touch the ground, don't clean it, or store it improperly

I suggest getting a bag that zips to store your cover when it is not on the car. As far as dust on the cover when sitting on the car- I like blowing my cover off with a weak electric leaf blower or using my air compressor blow gun. then I use my spare california car duster (I never use this one on the car itself) to get the rest of the dust off. problem solved
tony58 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an air compressor and I blow all the dust off the cover in the winter, and in the driving months, I still blow all the dust off the car before touching it. The less you touch the paint, the less you will damage it. If you dont have a compressor look into the metrovac. In your case, compressed air will do the trick.
tony58 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I only use my car cover for winter storage. Once every month during the winter, I get out the leaf blower and just blow the dust off the cover. IN the spring my wife and I shake out the cover before I put it away. The cover I use is Dust Top.

In the summer, after a drive, I take out my California Duster and just lightly go over the trunk, roof and hood. I don't touch the sides or lower portion of the car. I do take bugs off the front end. I then cover the car with two king size sheets. When I take off the sheets my wife and I also shake them out outside of the garage.

That's pretty much my routine.
tony58 (06-25-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Chewvenile
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have an enclosed garage, only a carport so i feel your pain. I've found the best trick to removing the dust and grime on the exterior of the the cover is to wet a bath towel and go over the cover while it is on the car. Do so very lightly, almost like you are shammying the car and it will pick up all the dust and dirt.

Get notified of new replies

To Protecting car from the dust on cover?

Quick Reply: Protecting car from the dust on cover?