Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Paint corection then? Coatings or Wax/Polish?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Paint corection then? Coatings or Wax/Polish?

I'm considering a coating after having paint correction done on my car. I have no experience with coatings, I've always paint corrected with Menzerna products then used Zaino or black fire. I won't be doing the coatings my self, looking at detail shops in the area.

So what are the pros/cons to doing a coating? Looking at Opti coat, but open to others depending on what the shop offers. Or should I stick to what I know and put Zaino, Black fire or some other polish/sealant on after paint correction

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2016, 07:10 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

I seriously think only you can answer that. Each has it's positive's and negatives. I personally prefer not to install coatings( on my own). Durability of the coatings far exceed what a sealant can do let alone a true wax. I like the time spent applying sealants and wax's as I find it stress relieving
Many of today's coating have become much more user friendly. Opti-Gloss, Wolfgang Uber, and the list goes on. These offer a year or 2 protection and maybe longer depending on conditions. Many can be topped for a little extra "pop" and longevity. Of course you still need to apply proper wash techniques to reduce marring. You want to make sure the surface is as defect free as possible as you will be trapping these under the coatings.
If you really want to try one I'd suggest to polish that baby and apply some Wolfgang Uber yourself !
The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (07-03-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Broker99
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say the only downside is the cost. Alot of upsides.
Killrwheels@Autogeek (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Spowell637
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Chaswicks Paint Correction

Originally Posted by Dicecal
I'm considering a coating after having paint correction done on my car. I have no experience with coatings, I've always paint corrected with Menzerna products then used Zaino or black fire. I won't be doing the coatings my self, looking at detail shops in the area.

So what are the pros/cons to doing a coating? Looking at Opti coat, but open to others depending on what the shop offers. Or should I stick to what I know and put Zaino, Black fire or some other polish/sealant on after paint correction

Thanks in advance!
Just this past week I applied Chadwicks new paint correction process. Can't believe the pop! It's a three stage process that really works!
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2016, 09:23 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the coatings. I guess it works for those that don't want to spend the time detailing. They look fine but I just find it hard to beat Zaino Clear Sealant followed by Z8 Grand Finale. Simple to use and the shine just pops. Just did my new Z06. Believe it or not, it took me less than 20 minutes to apply Clear Seal and Z8 to the entire car. Maintenance to keep the shine between detailings is simple with Z6 spray detailer.

Street Rat (09-13-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 05:38 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The challenge to any coating is two fold, and its been shown here above in several posts.

1. unknown ... some suggest the product isn't for them and wont offer the look they have become accustomed too. Unfortunately this is true with a lot of products we use and consider the best, its personal preference not necessarily solid in proof. "It couldn't possibly be better, could it ??"

2. reduced time/effort .... this is clearly why a coating is often preferential to most in that the protection last significantly longer and better than traditional waxes and sealants. If you find it relaxing and desired to detail then unfortunately a coating will slow the need for polishing and protecting. I suppose some still prefer to chisel that original Turtle Wax paste off ....

What I will also share is that a coating is often no harder to apply then any other product, and when applied properly (thin and even) there is little to no buffing needed. So a product that protects better, longer, easier to use, and often looks good or better than the best sealants today .... what's not to like. It also is the newest technology and in its infancy. Soon the hydrophobic ingredient will get stronger and less with adhere to it. Add in that it doesn't contain the oils of a traditional wax, and you will likely also see some anti-static ability to reduce dust/dirt. It does take a minute to get used to when the dirt is contained above the paint and often slides right off when presoaking and rinsing with a stream of water however.

I have not found a coating that is hard to apply and remove, but some are indeed almost infallible. Wolfgang Uber and Opticoat Gloss Coat are two that are incredible in look, and easiest to apply and remove The cost upfront is slightly higher than most products, but reduced need of product will contain some of the cost. The extra time afforded to family and other hobbies might make it easier to handle also.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 07-03-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:52 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Once your paint correction is perfect, then I use 22ple glass. I know it cuts down waxing but it also cuts down on the time spent behind my Rupes. The coating offers more protection and lasts much longer.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:58 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Wash,clay bar, Megs 105, Megs205, Blackfire cleaner, and DP coating. I top It occasionally with Zaino CS and a detail spray. Easiest part of this process is applying the coating.

Last edited by SouthBaySurfer; 07-04-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:11 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

so does a coating actually protect from scratches?
Old 07-05-2016, 08:34 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
I don't think so.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
Some coating companies suggest the application will reduce potential marring. I don't know that a micron of protection can actually do so. What I offer is learning good washing and drying techniques is the best way to avoid marring and swirls. Then the protection you've applied can protect properly and hopefully avoid the need to reapply as often.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 07-05-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:10 AM
Wesens
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the coatings. I guess it works for those that don't want to spend the time detailing. They look fine but I just find it hard to beat Zaino Clear Sealant followed by Z8 Grand Finale. Simple to use and the shine just pops. Just did my new Z06. Believe it or not, it took me less than 20 minutes to apply Clear Seal and Z8 to the entire car. Maintenance to keep the shine between detailings is simple with Z6 spray detailer.

Man, that is one cool garage! Great pics!
capevettes (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 05:49 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spowell637
Just this past week I applied Chadwicks new paint correction process. Can't believe the pop! It's a three stage process that really works!
I've been using Chadwicks for a few months now and love it. I used ADAMS paint correction because Chadwicks hadn't come out yet. What do you think?
Old 08-13-2016, 12:18 AM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I used 22PLE on my wife's black SUV - in January 2014 then again in January 2016 to date - no swirl marks, scratches
wash weekly, dry with my yard blower then wipe down with Meguiar's ultimate detail love the shine - I believe in ceramic coating -
ronkh57 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 08:06 AM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by walker3
I used 22PLE on my wife's black SUV - in January 2014 then again in January 2016 to date - no swirl marks, scratches
wash weekly, dry with my yard blower then wipe down with Meguiar's ultimate detail love the shine - I believe in ceramic coating -
Gotta love that stuff!
Old 09-11-2016, 10:41 PM
TX Torch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The challenge to any coating is two fold, and its been shown here above in several posts.

1. unknown ... some suggest the product isn't for them and wont offer the look they have become accustomed too. Unfortunately this is true with a lot of products we use and consider the best, its personal preference not necessarily solid in proof. "It couldn't possibly be better, could it ??"

2. reduced time/effort .... this is clearly why a coating is often preferential to most in that the protection last significantly longer and better than traditional waxes and sealants. If you find it relaxing and desired to detail then unfortunately a coating will slow the need for polishing and protecting. I suppose some still prefer to chisel that original Turtle Wax paste off ....

What I will also share is that a coating is often no harder to apply then any other product, and when applied properly (thin and even) there is little to no buffing needed. So a product that protects better, longer, easier to use, and often looks good or better than the best sealants today .... what's not to like. It also is the newest technology and in its infancy. Soon the hydrophobic ingredient will get stronger and less with adhere to it. Add in that it doesn't contain the oils of a traditional wax, and you will likely also see some anti-static ability to reduce dust/dirt. It does take a minute to get used to when the dirt is contained above the paint and often slides right off when presoaking and rinsing with a stream of water however.

I have not found a coating that is hard to apply and remove, but some are indeed almost infallible. Wolfgang Uber and Opticoat Gloss Coat are two that are incredible in look, and easiest to apply and remove The cost upfront is slightly higher than most products, but reduced need of product will contain some of the cost. The extra time afforded to family and other hobbies might make it easier to handle also.
How much does the uber ceramic cost?
Old 09-12-2016, 12:19 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by TX Torch
http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wolfg...c-coating.html
Killrwheels@Autogeek (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 05:37 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TX Torch
A couple versions exist. You can get it with Autogeek.net or with wolfgangcarcare.com . Look for a sale offer to help with it also. I tube, when used properly, will do an entire car and all the trim and wheels too.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by walker3
Do you have any photos to share?

Get notified of new replies

To Paint corection then? Coatings or Wax/Polish?

Quick Reply: Paint corection then? Coatings or Wax/Polish?