Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Prepping car for a show.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:28 PM
1996Z15
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Prepping car for a show.....

I am planning on taking my 1969 coupe to a show in 8/13 and need some detailing advice.
My car is black and has a ton of small scratches; I bought a Flex polisher and tried my hand at removing them but I didn't have much luck.
The car is very nice looking (IMO) but, I really would like the paint to look much better.
I am afraid to try again with the polisher for fear of making things worse and I don't have the time before the show to take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
Is there any type of polish / glaze that might minimize the scratches even if it only lasts long enough to get me through the show?
Old 07-23-2016, 05:11 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If you aren't confident in your abilities at correcting paint with a buffer, Zaino ZPC Fusion can clean up small swirls and can be hand applied. Zaino Z5 will hide most of what is left. Good stuff. Of course if you have serious issues the Menzerma line is excellent with a buffer.
Love the 68/69 Vettes

Old 07-23-2016, 08:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Might want to visit our forum and look at a post Mike Phillips offered using Megs Showcar Glaze. While it wont remove swirls, it will help hide them for show and make paint look wetter also.

www.autogeekonline.com
Old 07-23-2016, 08:47 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

You already have A Flex Rotary Polisher, so a good set of pads, both microfiber and foam when used with Adam's Paint Correcting and then Adam's Finishing Polish should get rid of the swirls, and scratches (true paint correction) and then top it off with the sealant or wax of your choice.

Check out the Adam's Polishes website, for videos and additional information on paint correction using the Flex, or else look at their YouTube videos.

Still ample time to get it ready, and not too difficult to do, following their directions.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:15 AM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Originally Posted by 1996Z15
I am planning on taking my 1969 coupe to a show in 8/13 and need some detailing advice.
My car is black and has a ton of small scratches; I bought a Flex polisher and tried my hand at removing them but I didn't have much luck.
The car is very nice looking (IMO) but, I really would like the paint to look much better.
I am afraid to try again with the polisher for fear of making things worse and I don't have the time before the show to take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
Is there any type of polish / glaze that might minimize the scratches even if it only lasts long enough to get me through the show?
You didn't say what type of polishes you used with your flex. I start with Menzerna intensive polish on Lake Country orange pad and then use a finishing polish on a Lake Country white pad. I use 3M Perfect It 3000 as the finish polish . This is the combo I always use on my 2009 and it works well. I'm sure there are other combos that will work as well but this does the job on the new clear coats. With the flex you will be hard pressed to damage your paint. You can do this.

Last edited by got2hav1; 07-24-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:49 AM
1996Z15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by got2hav1
You didn't say what type of polishes you used with your flex. I start with Menzerna intensive polish on Lake Country orange pad and then use a finishing polish on a Lake Country white pad. I use 3M Perfect It 3000 as the finish polish . This is the combo I always use on my 2009 and it works well. I'm sure there are other combos that will work as well but this does the job on the new clear coats. With the flex you will be hard pressed to damage your paint. You can do this.
I used Adams polishes; not sure the exact ones at the moment, with foam pads of various colors (orange, green and white I think)
The pads are 5 or 6" in diameter and don't fit into all of the curved areas of the car; would I need another polisher or can I switch out to a smaller base?

I would really love to be able to get the car looking as nice as some of the ones I've seen on this forum but, like I said, I don't know how much paint is on the car and I am afraid I might burn through some edges or other areas.

It would be ideal if there were some detailer demonstrations nearby that I could attend but, it seems like they're always in Florida.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:22 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

The Adam's line-up now is 2 step, rather than 3, and the pads are available color coordinated to match the product in use. Paint Correcting Pads and Polish are orange, Finishing Pads and Polish are white.

The Flex should be able to cover all of the curved areas you expressed concern with, the only part of the vehicle which may need a "smaller" polisher would be the rear area by the taillights. If that area isn't in too bad of condition, you could do it by hand.

Top it off with the wax or sealant, the apply a coating of Brilliant Glaze the day before the show to really have it "POP."

Check the Adam's forums, there are members there from your area, and possibly one could give you additional assistance if needed?
Old 07-24-2016, 01:43 PM
1996Z15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rkj4243
The Adam's line-up now is 2 step, rather than 3, and the pads are available color coordinated to match the product in use. Paint Correcting Pads and Polish are orange, Finishing Pads and Polish are white.

The Flex should be able to cover all of the curved areas you expressed concern with, the only part of the vehicle which may need a "smaller" polisher would be the rear area by the taillights. If that area isn't in too bad of condition, you could do it by hand.

Top it off with the wax or sealant, the apply a coating of Brilliant Glaze the day before the show to really have it "POP."

Check the Adam's forums, there are members there from your area, and possibly one could give you additional assistance if needed?
Thanks, I will check the polishes I have and maybe give it another go. When you polish your cars do you remove the emblems or carefully go around them?
Old 07-24-2016, 01:58 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, I will check the polishes I have and maybe give it another go. When you polish your cars do you remove the emblems or carefully go around them?
Another vote for ADAMS. Use the correction system in the spring, Polish around August, I cover it with Chadwicks. ADMS gets rid of the spider web light swirls that drive me crazy. Use a PC
Old 07-24-2016, 02:11 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

You can use blue or green painters tape and cover them, easier to remove than masking tape, or else "go around" them, and clean up any excess residue with a toothbrush.

Also thought of a detailer, possibly in your area...............

Phil at Detailer's Domain, if I recall correctly is in NJ?

He also has a website, sells products as well as perform details.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:27 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Make sure the polishes you are using are designed not only for the equipment being used, but also for your paint type. (single stage, versus clearcoat)

Let us know if you can help more, Autogeek.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:39 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

With experience in building and showing Corvettes for 40 years I have learned several basic things. The paint condition and shine is very important but it is how clean the car is that really matters. Clean means every nook and cranny in the engine compartment, under bumpers, fender wells and rocker panels. Even though the car has gleaming paint if the rest of the car is not squeaky clean and detailed none of it matters.
The following 2 users liked this post by cmonkey713:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (07-25-2016), Yaupon (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 05:11 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

The Flex should have removed your swirls & scratches.
Is your paint original or re-paint?
Our Brilliant Glaze has some filling capabilities however if they are deep they will still be noticeable, its best to remove them.
Check out this thread.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/287...e-swirl-marks/

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...laze-16oz.html
Old 07-24-2016, 08:38 PM
1996Z15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish
The Flex should have removed your swirls & scratches.
Is your paint original or re-paint?
Our Brilliant Glaze has some filling capabilities however if they are deep they will still be noticeable, its best to remove them.
Check out this thread.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/287...e-swirl-marks/

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...laze-16oz.html
I bought the car about 8-10 years ago and I suspect it has been repainted however I don't know what type of paint was applied.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:31 AM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Either way if it's single stage (no clear) or base coat clear coat your scratches will come out as long as they aren't deep enough that your finger nail catches in them.
What Flex did you buy 3401?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:15 AM
1996Z15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish
Either way if it's single stage (no clear) or base coat clear coat your scratches will come out as long as they aren't deep enough that your finger nail catches in them.
What Flex did you buy 3401?
I think it is a 3401; I will have to check when I get home later today.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 742 Likes on 470 Posts

If ya need help let me know. I'm not that far away

Get notified of new replies

To Prepping car for a show.....

Old 07-27-2016, 02:50 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
With experience in building and showing Corvettes for 40 years I have learned several basic things. The paint condition and shine is very important but it is how clean the car is that really matters. Clean means every nook and cranny in the engine compartment, under bumpers, fender wells and rocker panels. Even though the car has gleaming paint if the rest of the car is not squeaky clean and detailed none of it matters.

Many shows are essentially a cleaning contest. Use Q-tips for the tiny crevices, etc.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:29 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6

Many shows are essentially a cleaning contest. Use Q-tips for the tiny crevices, etc.
You are exactly right. You can buy a bag of 325 assorted size Q-Tip style swabs from Northern Tool for $10.00. these are perfect for show detailing and soooo cheap.I use about two bags a year.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:33 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Youtube is your friend on how to use your flex as well as combination of pads and polishes.

Started two years ago when I first bought my vette. First year was an education. Learned a great deal. This year, my second, I learned even more. Grabbed a second this year and a third last year. Of course it depends on how many classes they have for your year vette. I did the whole enchilada. They judge from finish to chassis to engine compartment to wheel barrels. Just when you think you got it down something else pops up. This year I parked next to a bonehead that used aerosol and spotted my windows and they found dirt on the inner front fender. Easy to get ruffled , some folks just got show to show and that is it. I have a daily driver and I am proud of it.

As I said, a learning experience! It's all fun.

I can't forget most detailing suppliers here also have great "how to" sections. ALso great to patronize them!

Last edited by JoeD-C8; 07-31-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Prepping car for a show.....