Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Morning Dew and Water Beads

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:13 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Morning Dew and Water Beads

First off, let me say that I'm completely dumb when it comes to detailing.

So my question: why does my car end up with dew on it in the morning versus every other car in the neighborhood? It does this without fail. WHY?

Second question: After rain, my car is the only one left with beads of water all over it, versus every othercar in the area. This also happens in the morning sometimes too. WHY? Looks like this:
Since it's in the morning on the way to work, I leave it as is which leaves spots of dust when it dries. Am I supposed to wipe this dry? I question this as wiping the car without soap concerns me.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:37 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

To clean it up, I'd suggest a quick rinseless, or waterless wash.
Waterless will take a min or two longer than quick detail

There can be all kinds of dirt, etc under the dew/water (especially in the city)
The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 05:46 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Beading is a result of water tension and often only one way to measure the use of a wax on paint to protect it. (others sheet, so beading isn't necessarily the only way to measure protection). In Florida it can rain on only one side of the street, so my car could be soaked and others nice and dry.

In the end when a car is wet and has been outside of a controlled environment, it is best to wash the car properly or use a waterless/rinseless wash. I find premixing a bottle of it is a great way to have it ready. Let it presoak and wipe lightly (or blot) with several good MF towels. Don't reuse a dirty area of the towel. I would not suggest simply wiping off dew or water, but to avoid water spotting you often want that water removed as quickly as possible.
ronkh57 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 06:36 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

I agree a WW would be your best friend here, you can spray onto the car while it's still wet and dry with the WW MF towel.
This is a quick & safe way to remedy your problem.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...wel-combo.html
ronkh57 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 09:39 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Since the OP is probably in a hurry to go to work, the California Car Duster people make a soft silicone squeegee thing; you would wick away most of the water in moments.

OK, they call it a drying blade. "California dry blades are a smaller, more economical version of The Original California Jelly Blades--and offer 100 percent medical-grade silicone construction for maximum flexibility and ease of use. The newly engineered V-blade drying edge works similarly to a windshield wiper, efficiently drying virtually any surface, regardless of shape. Dry blades outperform chamois, towels, and other drying devices, with a compact design makes them easy to use."

Mine came in a CCD bundled kit at Costco. It's a handy gadget for lots of things, not just the car.

Last edited by the kid C6; 08-10-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:42 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by the kid C6
Since the OP is probably in a hurry to go to work, the California Car Duster people make a soft silicone squeegee thing; you would wick away most of the water in moments.

OK, they call it a drying blade. "California dry blades are a smaller, more economical version of The Original California Jelly Blades--and offer 100 percent medical-grade silicone construction for maximum flexibility and ease of use. The newly engineered V-blade drying edge works similarly to a windshield wiper, efficiently drying virtually any surface, regardless of shape. Dry blades outperform chamois, towels, and other drying devices, with a compact design makes them easy to use."

Mine came in a CCD bundled kit at Costco. It's a handy gadget for lots of things, not just the car.
The drying blade and other squeegee type products can be quite harmful to paint. Any dirt or sand is not whisked away but can be ground into paint. Remember there has been no washing or soap to provide the lubrication and ingredients necessary to help move the dirt.

A towel with a large nap that is frequently changed should help pull dirt up and away from finish. The rinseless or waterless wash has the ingredients to start loosening/releasing the dirt.
ronkh57 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 10:00 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The drying blade and other squeegee type products can be quite harmful to paint. Any dirt or sand is not whisked away but can be ground into paint. Remember there has been no washing or soap to provide the lubrication and ingredients necessary to help move the dirt.
I've only used mine when I wash the car, so I'm good.

It is a handy gadget for cleaning glass shower doors.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:04 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the kid C6
I've only used mine when I wash the car, so I'm good.

It is a handy gadget for cleaning glass shower doors.
Be careful that you don't pick up a leaf, dirt, sand or similar, since it will scratch.

IF I get lazy and use one, I rinse it first with hose, then after each pass.

Last edited by ronkh57; 08-12-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

A couple of minutes with a cordless leaf blower would take of the water spots. However, your neighbors will think you're crazy.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:06 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jimnc
A couple of minutes with a cordless leaf blower would take of the water spots. However, your neighbors will think you're crazy.
I use a Metro MasterBlaster to dry each vehicle. I actually have neighbors that have visited to discuss "what it is" and test it. Most are surprised at the power and how cool it is to dry a vehicle without heavy rubbing.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

I wouldn't use a water blade.

Based on the picture...that's a lot of "dew".....

So if in a hurry, I'd probably use a synthetic chamois dragged in one direction across the surface.
Then if time allows, followed with a detail spray and microfiber towel to completely dry.

Leaf blower, Master Blaster etc....would be best, yet that adds time depending on the quality level of your drying and re-shining.

Have fun.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:52 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
I wouldn't use a water blade.

So if in a hurry, I'd probably use a synthetic chamois dragged in one direction across the surface.
Then if time allows, followed with a detail spray and microfiber towel to completely dry.

Have fun.
Chamois of synth cham would cause the same or worse problems
Old 08-13-2016, 06:01 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
So my question: why does my car end up with dew on it in the morning versus every other car in the neighborhood? It does this without fail. WHY?
Are you parking near a sprinkler? Maybe the sprinkler runs at night, and that's why it's only your car.

It does look like a lot of water.

Get notified of new replies

To Morning Dew and Water Beads

Quick Reply: Morning Dew and Water Beads