Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Spray on option ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:01 PM
vmsns007
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Spray on option ?

My 74 convertible sees light use.
I recently installed Torq Thrust II one piece polished aluminum wheels (part VN 515).
Any suggestions on a spray on/wipe off option ? I dont use enough to break out the hose very often - looking for low mess option that still safe on wheels and effective. Right or wrong - i have used Griots Speed Shine on them once because it was convenient. Was that a poor choice ? I presume Griots has a spray wheel cleaner but would it be better than speed shine ?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:56 PM
vmsns007
Instructor

Anyone with a recommendation ?

Originally Posted by vmsns007
My 74 convertible sees light use.
I recently installed Torq Thrust II one piece polished aluminum wheels (part VN 515).
Any suggestions on a spray on/wipe off option ? I dont use enough to break out the hose very often - looking for low mess option that still safe on wheels and effective. Right or wrong - i have used Griots Speed Shine on them once because it was convenient. Was that a poor choice ? I presume Griots has a spray wheel cleaner but would it be better than speed shine ?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:27 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Try a rinseless wash like
Uber rinseless

"wheel cleaners" on straight aluminum might not be a good choice
Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I would clean with a safe wheel cleaner like P21S. I then would polish as needed. Once done I would apply a wheel coating. (I used Gtechniq Wheel Armor) Now for the next year or longer you can use a simple rinseless/waterless wash product to clean.

If wheels are uncoated, and not protected, they will start to tarnish and you will need to polish more often. Do it right and enjoy long term results.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:37 PM
vmsns007
Instructor

Thanks for the replies !
So clean/polish/coat - got it.
Couple of questions -
1)Any suggestions for appropriate polish for my aluminum wheel. Can i use a power buffer with the polish (like the ***** that go on drills?) can i use same polishing ball for the coating ?
2) i was on your website and see a few different P21S products. Which one are you recommending ?

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I would clean with a safe wheel cleaner like P21S. I then would polish as needed. Once done I would apply a wheel coating. (I used Gtechniq Wheel Armor) Now for the next year or longer you can use a simple rinseless/waterless wash product to clean.

If wheels are uncoated, and not protected, they will start to tarnish and you will need to polish more often. Do it right and enjoy long term results.

Last edited by vmsns007; 09-08-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:14 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

When I had uncoated Iforged Wheels, I only trusted P21S Wheel Cleaner. Its not harsh and will not harm a finish when used properly on cool wheels. (never wash hot wheels).

I have always found that Mother's Aluminum Polish works well and those polishing ***** can help. (they can spit polish however, so use carefully) .

If you choose to use the coating, I would apply by hand. Its very easy and you don't use a lot. Once completed you literally have a years protection (even more on garage kept cars). Best part, you only buff off any excess so with a light application and light wipe you are set !

http://www.autogeek.net/p2wheelclean.html
http://www.autogeek.net/motmagalpol.html
http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c5-wheel-armor.html

And this is the Rinseless/Waterless Wash concentrate to clean after application. Best part, it can be used on paint for cleaning and even making a detail spray in addition to a waterless product.
http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 09-08-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:07 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I've been using Pinnacle Black Label Wheel Coating, applying once per year on the fair weather cars when the wheels come off for a complete cleanup and detail. Then the product I've been using for just the light after-drive wheel cleanup is Chadwicks TriplePlay, spraying on a little more liberally than just misting it on, let it sit for 3-5 minutes, wipe off gently with a MF towel, and then buff with another MF towel.
The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 08:59 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
I've been using Pinnacle Black Label Wheel Coating, applying once per year on the fair weather cars when the wheels come off for a complete cleanup and detail. Then the product I've been using for just the light after-drive wheel cleanup is Chadwicks TriplePlay, spraying on a little more liberally than just misting it on, let it sit for 3-5 minutes, wipe off gently with a MF towel, and then buff with another MF towel.
Black Label is a great coating indeed. In the Pinnacle Black Label line there is a quick detailer available that would work also. You can also substitute any number of rinseless wash type products. I like their versatility.

Get notified of new replies

To Spray on option ?

Quick Reply: Spray on option ?