Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Taking Care of old paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:21 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Default Taking Care of old paint

I recently purchased a 1972 Corvette that has the original paint job.The paint is nice and glossy, but has a few chips I would like to preserve the paint. I tried using the wax I use on my new corvette, but I am not sure that is the right stuff I should be using on the old paint. I used Savereign pinnacle carnuba wax. I could not tell the difference from when I started and when I finished.

1. Is Pinnacle good for old paint?

2. Should I try and repair the paint chips or is this something that a good detailer might be able to do?

Last edited by crawfish333; 09-24-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:38 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Go to Autogeek forum and look up how to take care of old paint. Mike Phillps has a GREAT write up on it.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is a pure 'nuba based wax with no cleaners or abrasive polishes in it. Its safe to use on pretty much any finish. That said ...

Older paint is likely oxidized. So you need to clean and polish the paint first. You may also want to feed the paint with a glaze to try and rejuvenate it. Then the Pinnacle Soveran as a last step.

Dr. Colorchip offers a great way to deal with minor repairs to paint. Certainly you can use a professional also to prep and repair the finish. Perhaps using the professional to also detail the car for you and have it all done professionally, certainly an option.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:17 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I have some Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. Will this clean and polish the old paint?

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is a pure 'nuba based wax with no cleaners or abrasive polishes in it. Its safe to use on pretty much any finish. That said ...

Older paint is likely oxidized. So you need to clean and polish the paint first. You may also want to feed the paint with a glaze to try and rejuvenate it. Then the Pinnacle Soveran as a last step.

Dr. Colorchip offers a great way to deal with minor repairs to paint. Certainly you can use a professional also to prep and repair the finish. Perhaps using the professional to also detail the car for you and have it all done professionally, certainly an option.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I have some Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. Will this clean and polish the old paint?
The paintwork lotion is a chemical based cleaner only. It will remove oxidation but will not polish (abrade) the surface. You may want to formally polish your paint also, but this lotion is a great first start.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:12 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I dug around in the garage and found some Adams Fine Machine Polish, which I applied to one of the T-Top. I followed this Pinnacle paintwork cleanser then some wax. It seemed to look a little better, but I got a little spooked because my applicator (I applied this stuff by hand, not with the PC) was turning blue. (the car is Targa Blue)

Is this normal?

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The paintwork lotion is a chemical based cleaner only. It will remove oxidation but will not polish (abrade) the surface. You may want to formally polish your paint also, but this lotion is a great first start.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:13 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I dug around in the garage and found some Adams Fine Machine Polish, which I applied to one of the T-Top. I followed this Pinnacle paintwork cleanser then some wax. It seemed to look a little better, but I got a little spooked because my applicator (I applied this stuff by hand, not with the PC) was turning blue. (the car is Targa Blue)

Is this normal?
Single stage paint..

For me.... I would strip off wax, then lay down Megs # 7 (apply heavy) by terry cloth, wait 24 hours wipe off, and repeat 2 more times.. Then polish and wax.

Seriously go to autogeek forum and look at Mike Philips thread on restoring old paint.

Last edited by ronkh57; 09-27-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:33 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Default I think I created a misunderstanding

Thanks for the reply and I did in fact look up that thread, but the paint on my car looks more like the "after" picture in that thread than the "before." Like I said in my original posting, the paint on my C3 is glossy. I mainly would like to make it "pop" a little more. My question was related to finding products that would help deepen the shine on my car without damaging the old paint. I am sorry if I gave the impression that the paint on my car looked dead like the one in the thread. That was not my intent. Here are some pictures of my car. As you can see, it does shine quite nicely, but I would like to maximize the way the shines without causing damage to the paint. I did get some valuable information about single stage paints from the article though, thanks.

Originally Posted by ronkh57
Single stage paint..

For me.... I would strip off wax, then lay down Megs # 7 (apply heavy) by terry cloth, wait 24 hours wipe off, and repeat 2 more times.. Then polish and wax.

Seriously go to autogeek forum and look at Mike Philips thread on restoring old paint.
Attached Images    

Last edited by crawfish333; 09-28-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:47 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I may stop and get some of the Mcguires #7 this afternoon and give it a shot. It sounds like it might deepen the shine somewhat without causing damage.

Last edited by crawfish333; 09-28-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:54 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ew-friend.html

Check out this article by Mike Phillips ....
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (10-01-2016)
Old 04-18-2019, 05:12 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I used a brush and it came out well!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Does anyone have links to articles/videos about how to REPAIR and blend single stage paint?
The paint on my '61 is original. I have brought it back to a pretty good shine using a processes similar to the one above.

But I have a few problem areas that require paint.. More than just chips. Mainly a previous repair on the door done poorly (not by me) with a not-quite matching rattle can fix - an area about 4-5 inches diameter.

I have had good luck matching the paint color (it's Ermine White).. I've used paint from automotivetouchup.com using the GM color code to paint the headlight trim bezels.
The match is pretty good.. but there is a small gap there, and your eye is forgiving.

But how do you cover and blend a larger area?

Thanks for any help,
Fred

Last edited by SDVette; 04-24-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:48 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
Does anyone have links to articles/videos about how to REPAIR and blend single stage paint?
The paint on my '61 is original. I have brought it back to a pretty good shine using a processes similar to the one above.

But I have a few problem areas that require paint.. More than just chips. Mainly a previous repair on the door done poorly (not by me) with a not-quite matching rattle can fix - an area about 4-5 inches diameter.

I have had good luck matching the paint color (it's Ermine White).. I've used paint from automotivetouchup.com using the GM color code to paint the headlight trim bezels.
The match is pretty good.. but there is a small gap there, and your eye is forgiving.

But how do you cover and blend a larger area?

Thanks for any help,
Fred

Fred,

check in the body work area of the forum. There’s a guy call “Dub” that pretty much is the guru of all things paint on a Vette especially c2’s.

He’s very helpful and has helped a ton of guys out

good luck

Rick
The following users liked this post:
SDVette (05-01-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 01:58 PM
ssg10587
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

edit: apparently replied in related thread instead lol

Last edited by ssg10587; 06-30-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking Care of old paint

Quick Reply: Taking Care of old paint