Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino question - ZFX or Z-AIO really necessary or a nice-to-have?

Old 10-23-2016, 11:04 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Default Zaino question - ZFX or Z-AIO really necessary or a nice-to-have?

Am on the website about to order some product, and I see this notice:

"Please note that if this is your first time using the Zaino system, ZFX or Z-AIO is mandatory for use with Z-2 PRO, Z-3, or Z-5 PRO."

While I had a bottle of the additive, it ran out and for the past year or so I just used Z2 or Z5 Pro, letting it dry fully. I think when I first started buying Zaino years ago, that additive wasn't even around, although I could be wrong on that.

So what's the verdict? Will the sky fall without the additive, or will life go on?

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 10-23-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:30 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,542 Likes on 2,158 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

You don't need it. I never used it. Try the Clear Sealant topped with Z8. Absolute wet shine

Old 10-23-2016, 11:37 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

wow that's some shine! i've always used z6, love the stuff. is z8 any better or just different?
Old 10-23-2016, 01:21 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,542 Likes on 2,158 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
wow that's some shine! i've always used z6, love the stuff. is z8 any better or just different?
I use Z6 for a regular quick detailer between full details. Z8 is very good after a full detailing. It really makes the shine pop and it gives the paint a very slippery feel. It can also be used as a QD. It's similar to Z6 but on steroids. I have even mixed them 50/50 and it works great.
The following users liked this post:
GoFast908Z (10-27-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 04:52 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Thanks. I just placed my order with them.

This stuff lasts like crazy, I use sparingly per directions. My current supply (all of 2 bottles, one Z5 and one Z2), which is dwindling, is at least 5 years old.

Tried looking at other products' websites, too much to figure out and I'm lazy. Will go with what I know. Been using Zaino a long time and it seems like they haven't gone bonkers introducing 50 different polishes, waxes, etc. Ain't broke, don't fix it.

Gotta get my truck done before cold weather really sets in, and the truck gets beat to snot and rarely washed. Once or maybe twice a year Zaino has kept the paint looking great still. The Vette gets a bit nicer treatment....

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 10-23-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:01 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Pro detailer here, using Zaino products in Silicon Valley and ZFX adds durability to the application and allows us to layer coats. While almost every car gets a All-In-One treatment and Clear Seal, if we do Z-2 or Z-5, we use ZFX to make sure it has the durability. We warranty our Zaino finish for 6+ months(No other detailer in the SF Bay Area even comes close to that) ZFX is the key for us. Cars we have done with ZFX still look incredible 2+ years later.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:00 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Do you honestly see a difference in Z5 used with ZFX vs. no ZFX? The Z-2 and Z5 polishes are advertised as having the ability to be layered, so long as they cure (presumably means dry). ZFX is just a cure accelerator, right?

My Vette sits in garage and the paint looks pretty darned good. And like I said, my truck gets little to no cleaning other than occasional wash and that includes lousy northeast winters. Paint looks great, beads really well for several+ months.

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 10-24-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:28 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Do you honestly see a difference in Z5 used with ZFX vs. no ZFX? The Z-2 and Z5 polishes are advertised as having the ability to be layered, so long as they cure (presumably means dry). ZFX is just a cure accelerator, right?

My Vette sits in garage and the paint looks pretty darned good. And like I said, my truck gets little to no cleaning other than occasional wash and that includes lousy northeast winters. Paint looks great, beads really well for several+ months.
Yes ZFX is the curing accelerator, in the end, I do see a subtle difference tipping toward the ZFX Z-5. I doubt most would, but I do this as a pro detailer and see what makes a difference between awesome and incredible.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:44 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Since you're a pro doing it day in & day out, I appreciate your honest observation.

To the layperson like me, I won't see that (and am perfectly happy with just the "plain" polish application), and it saves me the hassle of mixing a small batch with ZFX then having to scrub out the mini bottles, etc. That got old, especially if I didn't clear out the nozzle completely in those small bottles.

Just got my shipment of other stuff and am looking forward to another 5-7 years of supply.

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Yes ZFX is the curing accelerator, in the end, I do see a subtle difference tipping toward the ZFX Z-5. I doubt most would, but I do this as a pro detailer and see what makes a difference between awesome and incredible.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:34 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Since you're a pro doing it day in & day out, I appreciate your honest observation.

To the layperson like me, I won't see that (and am perfectly happy with just the "plain" polish application), and it saves me the hassle of mixing a small batch with ZFX then having to scrub out the mini bottles, etc. That got old, especially if I didn't clear out the nozzle completely in those small bottles.

Just got my shipment of other stuff and am looking forward to another 5-7 years of supply.
Actually I go to REI and buy the 1oz bottles they have for backpacking. They are very soft and pliable and we can control much easier the amount we put on an applicator.
Agreed the normal person would have a hard time seeing any difference.
However the we just had another customer come in with a Giant smile and a huge 1st place trophy from a major show in Northern CA. He said it was the paint and the quality of the shine made a huge difference over the competition. It was a Dark Blue Shelby Mustang where we used AIO as a base, then Z-5 with ZFX to finish it off for three more coats.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino question - ZFX or Z-AIO really necessary or a nice-to-have?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zaino question - ZFX or Z-AIO really necessary or a nice-to-have?