Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Porter-Cable & Xpel

Old 11-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Live-Free-Or-Die
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Porter-Cable & Xpel

Anybody use a Porter-Cable orbital polisher on Xpel film? Specifically over the edge? I didn't do a full wrap so I have some film/no film edges. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-13-2016, 05:18 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I would not personally use a buffer over any clearbra type material. I would carefully tape the edges with painters tape as possible. Perhaps others will offer another choice ...
Old 11-13-2016, 06:54 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I would not personally use a buffer over any clearbra type material. I would carefully tape the edges with painters tape as possible. Perhaps others will offer another choice ...
Completely agree
Old 11-14-2016, 12:22 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 907 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Xpel provides their own dressing for the Xpel Ultimate film. The bottle simply reads "Xpel Paint Protection Film Sealant". I treat the film twice a year (by hand) with this product and never let the buffer touch the clear film. As others have said, tape the edge with painters tape to avoid polish or wax build-up along the edge of the film.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:52 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Live-Free-Or-Die
Anybody use a Porter-Cable orbital polisher on Xpel film? Specifically over the edge? I didn't do a full wrap so I have some film/no film edges. Thanks for your input!
If you are going to be polishing your paint, and you have a partial or an edge of the film visible, we'd recommend you tape the edge with something similar to blue painters tape.

If you do use the polisher on XPEL ULTIMATE, beware the clear coat is the self-healing layer and is approximately 13 microns thick. If that layer is penetrated, the film will not heal.

There should be no need to polish the film, if there are contaminants on the film, you can use an appropriate cleaner. I.e. tar and bug remover, isopropyl alcohol, XPEL film cleaner etc.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:29 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

I agree, I wouldn't use a machine polisher on a clear bra either and I would watch the edges too maybe even tape them off.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:26 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

I'm glad someone asked this. I'm gonna be doing a detail (first timer) this week on my black '15 C7. Bought it gently used.

I'll stay off the Xpel with the DA buffer. I have Xpel/suntek around the whole front...doors forward. I was gonna put a hand coating of JetSeal from Chemical Guys on it. Is that okay? Overkill? Should I use something else?

The various products I have are
V36
V38
BlackLight
JetSeal
Butter Wet Wax

some of those are for a couple other cars that need extra work and NO xpel on those vehicles.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:36 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/matte-finish...rotectant.html

Designed for matte paints and clear paint films. It contains UV protection too.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:28 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Well, I will go against the grain. Own a very high end detailing shop in Silicon Valley. We use Zaino's AIO with incredible success. Leaves no residues brings up Xpel or any clear bra material to a great shine.
As one example, one of my customers has an award winning Porsche It is covered in Xpel, and everyone one of his awards have been for the Best Paint. I believe he has 10+ of them. No one can believe his car has Xpel on it. Keep in mind he went to the absolute best installer in the SF Bay Area, based on our recommendation and paid more than the normal job and we finished it off to create the "look".
He came by just before Monterey Car Week this year for a touchup and told us the Porsche crew asked him not to compete this year, but would feature his car as a previous winner. He has dominated 1st place in all the show car categories his car fits in.
Alot of my customers cars are covered in some way, shape or form. I needed a way to separate my shop from the competition with those cars and be THE GOTO place for clear bra shine, Zaino's AIO was the ticket.
Your experience may vary.....
Old 12-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Moman01
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

My wife bought me the Zano complete car kit and my question is if you don't polish the clear film(I have 3m installed new in 08 1/2 hood and fenders)and polish the rest of the car will the finish look the same? Seems to me it would look different,I currently use ps21.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Porter-Cable & Xpel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porter-Cable & Xpel