Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

C6 Base 5-Spoke Wheel Finish Correction

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 12:59 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default C6 Base 5-Spoke Wheel Finish Correction

I wanted to ask if anyone has a suggestion for refreshing stock wheels that have some mild finish defects. I realize they are coated, so I know a standard metal polish isn't going to be the route here. I'm not sure what the coating consists of, but the defects seem to be impervious to standard polish and compound products that would be able to correct defects in clear-coat. I also noticed that based on the plastic bag test, there does not seem to be any stubborn contamination on the wheels, they feel perfectly smooth under a plastic bag, even without claying. I have attached some pictures to clarify exactly which wheels I'm working with, and what the defects are. I am the second owner and I do not know what products the original owner used on the wheels.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:04 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

The 2nd shot looks like it has had the clear coat worn off.

Ask you local dealership who they use for wheel repair/paint.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Generally speaking, you can use a paint polish and hand or machine polishing on coated wheels. You can also clay them and protect them. You essentially treat them just as you would paint.

I too see what may be clearcoat failure in the second picture. If so, you will likely want to consider professional reconditioning as the clear might need to be stripped off and reapplied. If so, a good wheel coating afterwards should protect them for several years.

Try and stay away from acid based cleaners and never clean hot wheels.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:26 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Each wheel has at least some minor curb rash anyway, so maybe I'll have a wheel shop give me an estimate to strip and recoat them once it's time for the next set of tires. I have no interest in going to a different set of wheels, but I worry it may end up being cheaper to buy another set than to rehab my current ones, and they really look fine from most angles and distances. I was hoping for some DIY technique to make them look more presentable, but if clay - compound - polish - wax/seal is all the can be done at home, then I may have to talk to the pros.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:13 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by WhoIsPat
Thanks for the replies. Each wheel has at least some minor curb rash anyway, so maybe I'll have a wheel shop give me an estimate to strip and recoat them once it's time for the next set of tires. I have no interest in going to a different set of wheels, but I worry it may end up being cheaper to buy another set than to rehab my current ones, and they really look fine from most angles and distances. I was hoping for some DIY technique to make them look more presentable, but if clay - compound - polish - wax/seal is all the can be done at home, then I may have to talk to the pros.
cleaning well, claying, and polishing will indeed make a difference. Remember to keep the barrels clean also.

Then as time permits .... scale the "for sale" ads or local "u pull it" lots. Often times a set is found in great shape at a discounted price. You can grab them as you see fit.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:15 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

You can refinish them at home, its about 5-6 hours a rim.

I sanded mine down to clean up curb rash on all 4 from the previous owner. used a 220 then a 400, then color coat then wheel clear.

For you, you can use paint stripper to remove clear, and can avoid the heavy grit because your wheels are so clean, there are a few good youtube vids on reconditioning alloy rims like yours using wheel clearcoat. You will be using 1000# and 1500# and finer.

So far they are holding up well, less some gravel I hit that required some touch up paint.

Last edited by outhouse; 11-23-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:17 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

By the way, idex cards work great and tires do not have to be removed.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:02 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Looking at the spoke in the 12:00 position, it appears to have the look of wheel brush scratches from a car wash.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Base 5-Spoke Wheel Finish Correction

Quick Reply: C6 Base 5-Spoke Wheel Finish Correction