Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Questions and advice on ceramic coatings

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:39 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Questions and advice on ceramic coatings

Hi,

I'm a long time Zaino user who is going to take the plunge and apply a ceramic coating to my Viper.

I've ordered Wolfgang Uber Ceramic but was also considering CQuartz? Does anyone have any opinions if one coating is better than the other? The car is not a daily driver and is garaged.

Also, how difficult/tricky is the application process? I'm not completely new to detailing but haven't ever applied a coating.

Finally, I'm prepping the vehicle by polishing with Megs 105/205. Before I apply the coating, I assume I should either wipe with IPA or purchase a precleaner product.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 12-18-2016, 07:48 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Just did a search and got some of my questions answered. I would still appreciate any input from folks who have used the WG Uber Ceramic.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 12-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Hey Rick,

Beautiful Viper!!!

I applied the Wolfgang Ceramic coating to my 2016 Z06. I am not new to detailing, but far from a pro and had never applied a ceramic coating before.

It is pretty straightforward and not difficult at all. The few pointers I would have are:

1) Proper prep of the paint. Sounds like you have that under control. I would add a clay bar to the mix.

2) For cleaning the paint, I used: http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-per...aint-prep.html Works well, and smells nice too.

3) The key that I found is to apply it THIN. And I mean thin. I did one panel at a time. Spreading it across the panel about 4-5 times. You can see it going on and depending on temperature and humidity it will flash in about a minute or so. Flashing is like a drying process. You will see streaks and then it kind of disappears. I would not apply it in direct sunlight or high humidity. I did mine in my garage and it was maybe 65 degrees out. Worked well. Once it flashed, I would lightly wipe it with a microfiber towel to "even" out any high spots I saw. Start with a test panel that is small so that you get the hang of it.

4) On large panels, like the hood or roof, break these down into 2-3 different sections.

5) Don't "go-over" sections that are already done. After you have applied it and it flashes, then leave it be.

6) Apply it thin!!

7) Once done, let it "cure" at least 24 hours inside. No rain, no washing, no driving.

Here is mine a few days after I did it. Washing is so much easier now. Dirt doesn't really "stick" anymore.

I also did my 2007 Z06 that is used on the track.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mordeth:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (12-21-2016), ronkh57 (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 08:12 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Mordeth,

Thank you for the response and beautiful Vettes you have there. Sounds like we have a similar experience level, so that is reassuring.

I forgot to mention, but I did clay the car before I started the paint prep. I'm going to invest the time in the paint prep over the holidays and then add the coating. It will be nice to have a more durable and less maintenance required protectant on the car.

Rick
Old 12-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

No problem Rick. I too was nervous before doing this. Hell, I had just purchased the car, and it was in mint condition, with nary a scratch on it and here I go attempting something new to "make it better". Ended up being a non-event and pretty straightforward. I spent more time researching and reading and worrying than I did actually doing it. I didn't rush when I did it, and made sure I had ample time to figure things out without pressure of time. So I'd suggest taking your time, which I am sure you will on that Viper. Happy to help if you have any other questions.

The day I did it, I was in the garage, after spending a few hours prepping and fretting. So here I am standing next to my car, with blue medical gloves on, the car all taped off with blue painters tape, the roof off, the car on my lift, a bazillion microfiber towels laid out, all of my detailing stuff strewn about and I'm holding a "medical" syringe in one hand, a sponge in the other and my dog watching the whole operation. My $100k car is about to go "under the knife" and I'm wondering if I even know what the hell is going on. My wife walks in the garage and goes "What the hell are you doing?" I say, in a serious confident tone: "I'm about to apply the Wolfgang UBER nano-ceramic space-age polymer coating, of course. What's it look like I'm doing?" She just shook her head and went back inside....hopefully to make me a sandwich (which strangely never arrived). Car came out great though.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I prefer Wolfgang, not because its our home brand, but because I have used both and have it on my daily driver(Wolfgang Uber) and wife's truck (G-techniq). I obviously have more knowledge around coatings have prepped several cars with Opti-Coat also. Wolfgang is user-friendly and the gloss is amazing.

With any coating, you really should properly prep the paint before coating it. The coating is going to be on there for a long time. Take the time to clean, clay, and even polish paint. Even good paint can often have some light finishing polish before coating.

If you need help or hints please PM me or consider our forum at www.autogeekonline.net . Once done, your going to wish you coated before and will find with a little care you are protected for a year or more. No more long detailing sessions a couple times a year.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:10 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Wolfgang Uber

Last edited by justplainjim; 05-31-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:18 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mordeth
No problem Rick. I too was nervous before doing this. Hell, I had just purchased the car, and it was in mint condition, with nary a scratch on it and here I go attempting something new to "make it better". Ended up being a non-event and pretty straightforward. I spent more time researching and reading and worrying than I did actually doing it. I didn't rush when I did it, and made sure I had ample time to figure things out without pressure of time. So I'd suggest taking your time, which I am sure you will on that Viper. Happy to help if you have any other questions.

The day I did it, I was in the garage, after spending a few hours prepping and fretting. So here I am standing next to my car, with blue medical gloves on, the car all taped off with blue painters tape, the roof off, the car on my lift, a bazillion microfiber towels laid out, all of my detailing stuff strewn about and I'm holding a "medical" syringe in one hand, a sponge in the other and my dog watching the whole operation. My $100k car is about to go "under the knife" and I'm wondering if I even know what the hell is going on. My wife walks in the garage and goes "What the hell are you doing?" I say, in a serious confident tone: "I'm about to apply the Wolfgang UBER nano-ceramic space-age polymer coating, of course. What's it look like I'm doing?" She just shook her head and went back inside....hopefully to make me a sandwich (which strangely never arrived). Car came out great though.

Haha, I can totally relate. That is exactly how I will be. Complete with the syringe, I will look like I'm preparing for surgery with all the tools and towels laying out.

I'm still in the paint correction phase while I wait for the Uber to arrive. One question, did you just use the applicator it came with or did you need spares?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 12-20-2016, 06:19 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I prefer Wolfgang, not because its our home brand, but because I have used both and have it on my daily driver(Wolfgang Uber) and wife's truck (G-techniq). I obviously have more knowledge around coatings have prepped several cars with Opti-Coat also. Wolfgang is user-friendly and the gloss is amazing.

With any coating, you really should properly prep the paint before coating it. The coating is going to be on there for a long time. Take the time to clean, clay, and even polish paint. Even good paint can often have some light finishing polish before coating.

If you need help or hints please PM me or consider our forum at www.autogeekonline.net . Once done, your going to wish you coated before and will find with a little care you are protected for a year or more. No more long detailing sessions a couple times a year.
Thanks Killerwheels. I will probably be sending you a PM with a few questions.
The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (12-21-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 08:59 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Uber

It's very user friendly, has a GREAT LOOK
The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (12-21-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
Haha, I can totally relate. That is exactly how I will be. Complete with the syringe, I will look like I'm preparing for surgery with all the tools and towels laying out.

I'm still in the paint correction phase while I wait for the Uber to arrive. One question, did you just use the applicator it came with or did you need spares?

Thanks,

Rick
I did the whole car with one applicator, but had a second one handy just in case I dropped the first one face down on the ground.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

I did the whole car with one applicator, but had a second one handy just in case I dropped the first one face down on the ground.
If you're taking it slow, you may want to use 3 or 4 for the car.........

The stuff crystalizes as it dries.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:56 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Is there a particular applicator brand I should use or does it not matter too much.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 12-20-2016, 10:07 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
Is there a particular applicator brand I should use or does it not matter too much.

Thanks,

Rick
I love the lake country applicators. Some people say they absorb too much product, but I love em.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:28 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Originally Posted by ronkh57
I love the lake country applicators. Some people say they absorb too much product, but I love em.
I am using Lake pads on my polisher, but probably can't get the applicators in time. Will any automotive foam applicator work in general or do you think some cause pcausems?

Thanks again for the responses. I'm trying to do this while on vacation.

Rick
Old 12-20-2016, 10:30 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I agree with ronk. I used these: http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country...pplicator.html

Only took one.

I would try to use a sponge/foam type applicator. Any should work fine.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:36 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

I agree with ronk. I used these: http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country...pplicator.html

Only took one.

I would try to use a sponge/foam type applicator. Any should work fine.
OK, I can get a couple of Griot 's blue applicators shipped here by Friday.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions and advice on ceramic coatings

Quick Reply: Questions and advice on ceramic coatings