Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Polishing and Coating questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 12:23 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Polishing and Coating questions

All,

Over the holiday, I'm going to apply a coating to my Viper. I have been working over the last couple of days preparing the paint and would like any opinions and/or advice to the plan and steps I followed as I'm still a novice at polishing.

Plan
1) Washed and clayed car
2) Scratch correction with Meg's 105 and LC Orange Pads using GG DA 6" and LC Blue Pads on GG DA 3" (hand polish on difficult areas)
3) Finishing polish with Meg's 205 and LC White Pads on 6" and LC Tangerine pads on 3" (hand polish on difficult areas)
4) Wipe down with Wolfgang Perfekt Paint prep
5) Apply Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

I'm currently on step 3 and have a few questions while I wait for my coating to arrive from AG.

Questions
1) Is it fine to use the M205 ans a finishing polish with a White or Tangerine pad or is there a different pad choice that would give me a better glossy final finish?
2) Car has film on front fascia and sills, can WUCC being applied on plastic film?
3) Are there any issues if coating slightly overlaps during application (do I need to tape off the sections for coating or am I fine with slight overlap that I wipe down with applicator and microfiber)
4) Are there any flaws or steps I'm missing or tips with my plan?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

CLIFFS: Polishing Viper with M105 & 205, using LC Orange & White pads, coating with Uber Ceramic
Old 12-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
All,

Over the holiday, I'm going to apply a coating to my Viper. I have been working over the last couple of days preparing the paint and would like any opinions and/or advice to the plan and steps I followed as I'm still a novice at polishing.

Plan
1) Washed and clayed car
2) Scratch correction with Meg's 105 and LC Orange Pads using GG DA 6" and LC Blue Pads on GG DA 3" (hand polish on difficult areas)
3) Finishing polish with Meg's 205 and LC White Pads on 6" and LC Tangerine pads on 3" (hand polish on difficult areas)
4) Wipe down with Wolfgang Perfekt Paint prep
5) Apply Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

I'm currently on step 3 and have a few questions while I wait for my coating to arrive from AG.

Questions
1) Is it fine to use the M205 ans a finishing polish with a White or Tangerine pad or is there a different pad choice that would give me a better glossy final finish?
2) Car has film on front fascia and sills, can WUCC being applied on plastic film?
3) Are there any issues if coating slightly overlaps during application (do I need to tape off the sections for coating or am I fine with slight overlap that I wipe down with applicator and microfiber)
4) Are there any flaws or steps I'm missing or tips with my plan?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

CLIFFS: Polishing Viper with M105 & 205, using LC Orange & White pads, coating with Uber Ceramic
1) The white and tangerine pads should come out great for applying the finish polish. That's what I use.

2) The WUCC can be applied over the film. Hell, apply it on everything except for black trim.

3) There is no issue with overlap. The only thing I paid attention to were these areas though, as this is where you can potentially get high spots. So you are fine with slight overlap, then a light wipe if you can see any high spot or ridge.

4) Just remember THIN! You really don't need alot of the coating. I put three small lines on the pad and that was usually sufficient for a panel, or at least a section.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:34 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks Mordeth. I've been hanging out on the Autogeek forum and learning a lot, but it can make a rookie start to second guess themselves. I've been question my products, buffer pads, etc.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Polishing and Coating questions

Quick Reply: Polishing and Coating questions